6 meets and 3 years later EPZ say goodbye to Rowardennan

6 meets and 3 years later EPZ say goodbye to Rowardennan - The Rowardennan youth hostel has finally closed it's doors on our ePHOTOzine members and here Jeanie tells their story.

Category : ePHOTOzine

The last Rowardennan meet Once upon a time a group of a dozen or so photographers arranged to meet up and take some photos together. They arranged to meet at Loch Lomond, and after a successful day they thought a weekend meet might be a good idea. The idea was put into the forum threads and a gathering was organised for November 2005. It was attended by approximately 50 togs from far and wide, who wanted to get together, to relax for the weekend and take some photos in and around the Loch Lomond area.

Who would have known that the meet would have been so popular.  The demand snowballed, and it was such a success that another 6 meets over the next 3 years would follow, and the Rowardennan youth hostel would close its doors for the last time on ePHOTOzine members in November 2008.

Dave Watson, his wonderful wife Wilma and their daughter Megan were the genial hosts who invited folk to come along and have a great time. The meets began by being 3 days long - Friday to Sunday, but more days were wanted, so the meets were extended to 5 days. And so it was that every March and November, the hostel would be filled with cameras, food, drink, fun, frivolity and eager photographers.

The last Rowardennan meet local wildlife Every meet has had its own special moments. From being snowed in, to frustrated folk not being able to get there, either due to flights or ferries being cancelled. Many friendships have been forged along the way and even a romance or two. There has even been some that took part in a bit of photography! Members have travelled from far and wide to attend the meet. the farthest (forgive me if I am wrong) Barcelona.

Thursday the 6th November 2008 arrived and after clearing local supermarkets of alcoholic beverages, the eager members of EPZ took the high road and the low road and started to descend on the eastern banks of the loch. Slowly but surely everybody arrived and the cameras came out.  Though it seems there were more pap shots than serious photography thanks to the lack of blue skies. The weather was not as kind as it could have been and any images successfully bagged were captured with much dedication, patience and frustration!

Silly hats were the theme of the epz meet Silly hats were, of course, the theme for the weekend, inside the hostel and out.

Alarms were set for stupid o'clock each day, and convoys headed out to get "that shot", in and around the Trossachs and Highlands. Glencoe was swarming with keen and willing folk, chasing rainbows and blue skies. Many were duly rewarded with moody, powerful, interesting and original images. Many were left soggy with their efforts, one who shall remain nameless even went as far as getting stuck in a peat bog, and in need of his pals to get him out. Much to their disgust they missed stags and rainbows in the process and never even got the most important shot - the pap shot! There were "fun" games of rolling lenses into lochs to see if they sink or float and even an attempt at getting an original shot at Glencoe from beneath the water's surface which involved injuring a hand in the process.

Of course there are those who never even ventured out of the hostel or even went to bed on occasional nights (you know who you are..) There was even the annual "after dark" semi-clad skinny-dipping session for a few mad ladies and gents and Teresa was not even there to encourage them this year!

Raffle night at the EPZ meet A raffle was organised for Saturday night and everybody met up in the lounge of the hostel. Many prizes were won and the booby prize of the evening was the Pan Pipes version of Daniel O'Donnell tunes kindly donated by some Irish chap who was probably getting rid of his last unwanted Christmas present. A wonderful amount of about £250 was raised which was taken home to one of the founder Rowardennan members, Ian Homewood (digicammad), who was unfortunately unable to make the meet due to having had a serious operation only a week or so before.  The money was donated to the hospital who took such great care of him.

Like all good things, the meet came to a close once again, and sadly this time, for the last time. Even Dave drove away from Rowardennan now that he and the family have taken residence at their new abode in Pitlochry.

But this does mean of course that next year around November time will be the very first EPZ Pitlochry meet!

Is the poor town ready for us? We will have to wait a year to find out...

I am sure that all the people who have attend any or all of the Rowardennan meets will join me in saying a very huge thank you to Dave and Wilma for giving us all so many happy memories. Here's to future memories and friends to be made further north.

Ps.  Did I hear somebody wanted a recipe for Lasagne?

The Last Rowardennan Meet

Comments

digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
4 Dec 2008 2:34PM
You could at least have used the correct spelling for my name Jeanie!

Smile

Nice article, click.

Ian

nik111 e2
6 320 United Kingdom
4 Dec 2008 2:45PM
Changed it for you Smile
richardwheel 9 217 2 England
4 Dec 2008 3:03PM
Great article Jeanie, I have very fond memories from the last 3 meets up there. Nowhere will ever be quite like Rowardennan but I'm sure Pitlochry will have it's own stories to tell......can't wait Smile
conrad 10 10.9k 116
4 Dec 2008 8:15PM

Quote: I am sure that all the people who have attend any or all of the Rowardennan meets will join me in saying a very huge thank you to Dave and Wilma for giving us all so many happy memories.

Hear, hear! You've made these events quite unique - you, and of course the participants!
AngieLatham 10 789 2 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2008 9:38AM
I third and forth that Conrad!, many thanks to you Davie...especially for encouraging me to come along in 2006 when I dident know anyone! I might never of met Dougie if you hadent, and that dosent bare thinking about!

I have so many fantastic memories of the meets and have found so many true friends (and partner), they really did change the direction of my life for the better. Looking forward to starting a new chapter in Pitlochry Smile

Great article Jeanie, and not an envious job trying to fit 3 years into one article, but you have done us all proud. Very well done....and brought a tear to my eye

especially when I think of a little known Scottish folk song....

" So let me tell you that I love you
And I think about you all the time-
Caladonia, your calling me, and now I'm going home......
And if I should become a stranger, know that this would make me more than sad,
Caladonia's the best I've ever had. "
daviewat 10 4.1k Scotland
5 Dec 2008 9:57AM
Thanks guys Smile

It has always been a real pleasure to heave you invade ma wee hoos by the water Smile stressful at times !!! noisy at others but always a blast Smile

Angie it was fun persuading you get here Smile and you even dragged along another mad Mullian I recall Smile and then of course you and Dougie, good on you for taking the wee weegie under your wing and showing there is more to life than Glesga living Smile

Over all it has been great, boy we got up to some hi jinks, for me though i have to say the impromptue March snow in was the bestest Smile just beaciuse it was never meant to happen and those 2 girls we dragged in from the frozen tundra and kidnapped to the studio set up before even letting them get there boots off Smile

That and a lot of other memories will live forever, sitting on the bench with stevieb for ages just saying nothing looking at the loch supping a beer and then just getting up and saying, Aye well" Smile grand times.

Take care and of course I `ll see you all at Pitlochry.

Dave
stevieb 10 3.0k 2 Panama
5 Dec 2008 10:38AM
(you know who you are..) Ahem... Smile

Davie, did anyone see me put the bench in the boot? Smile

Jeannie, well written chuck.
Tooth 9 5.8k 227 Ireland
5 Dec 2008 10:52AM

Quote: the booby prize of the evening was the Pan Pipes version of Daniel O'Donnell tunes kindly donated by some Irish chap who was probably getting rid of his last unwanted Christmas present

it was a serious prize - should have auctioned it Sad Wink

Nice one Jeanie and cheers Davie
croberts 10 2.2k 8 Ireland
5 Dec 2008 11:19AM
Huge Thanks to you Dave, Wilma and Megan! And a huge thanks to everyone else i met on the meets.... Smile
daviewat 10 4.1k Scotland
5 Dec 2008 11:25AM

Quote: Quote:the booby prize of the evening was the Pan Pipes version of Daniel O'Donnell tunes kindly donated by some Irish chap who was probably getting rid of his last unwanted Christmas presentit was a serious prize - should have auctioned it

Nice one Jeanie and cheers Davie

We could have raised a fortune, highest bidder gets to NOT take it Smile he he

and Chris Pitlochry in 2009 ????
stevieb 10 3.0k 2 Panama
5 Dec 2008 1:01PM
(you know who you are..) Ahem... Smile

Davie, did anyone see me put the bench in the boot? Smile

Jeannie, well written chuck.
5 Dec 2008 6:16PM
Well written Jeanie Smile

I'll miss Rowardennan now that i live alittle bit further away now , Looking forward to Pitlochry , you better get the town ready Dave ..... lol

A Big thanks to Dave , Wilma and wee Megan for making us so welcome and cheers Dave for making sure Angie got over for her first meet , Might still be a wee weegiee stuck in the hell hole called Glasgow .

Cheers again Dave and lets make Pitlochry great .

Dougie
AngieLatham 10 789 2 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2008 8:40AM

Quote: good on you for taking the wee weegie under your wing and showing there is more to life than Glesga living
Dave

lol Davie.....took him to the Victorian xmas fair in Worcester last week and he couldent handle the crowds!! Says he's a 'cuntry boy' now Grin
Buffalo_Tom e2
8 2.3k 9 Wales
9 Dec 2008 6:53PM
This is why this site is so good.Well done Jeanie and even though I never got there you are always made to feel part of it with the photo's posted and the stories told from there.
Tom.
9 Dec 2008 9:56PM
well written article. though i have never been to any of the meets (new member Wink ) but this article has sure shot pursuaded me to attend the next one.
cheers
Akif
webjam 10 292 11 Netherlands
9 Dec 2008 10:01PM
Ahh, I lost a piece of my heart here, on the bonny shores of Loch Lomond... sigh...

Thanks Davie for such a great time that you gave us here. I know it has taken loads of your time to make sure that we had all such a great time.
Great memories of Scotland - thanks to you!

Jacqueline
sut68 10 2.0k 76 England
10 Dec 2008 12:36PM
Yup, a nicely written piece Jeanie.

Cheers Davie for all your hard work through all the meets we've attended too!!!

Here's to Pitlochry ... I fear for the town already Wink