Adobe Creative Suite Replaced With The Creative Cloud

Adobe Creative Suite Replaced With The Creative Cloud - Adobe says goodbye to 'CS' with a switch to the Creative Cloud.

Category : Other Software

Adobe Apps

At their annual Creativity Conference, Adobe announced that their 'CS' series will, from now on, be known as 'CC' - the Creative Cloud.

What this means for photographers is that they will no longer buy a boxed copy of software such as CS6, instead they'll need to purchase a subscription to Adobe's Creative Cloud where Photoshop CC, along many other Adobe desktop apps, will be available.

Adobe say: "While Adobe Creative Suite 6 products will continue to be supported and available for purchase, the company has no plans for future releases of Creative Suite or other CS products. Focusing development on Creative Cloud will not only accelerate the rate at which Adobe can innovate but also broaden the type of innovation the company can offer the creative community."

Through the Creative Cloud, all files and assets will be automatically synchronised between the desktop, cloud and mobile devices. Plus, users will be notified when app updates are available and as Photoshop CC is Adobe's first desktop app to include the ability to post files directly to Behance from within the application, this means users can showcase their work immediately.

As part of the major update new tools are available to users, including new image deblurring and sharpening features in Photoshop CC:

The new Camera Shake Reduction tool analyses and corrects for blur from camera movement to produce a better image. The all-new Smart Sharpen tool uses adaptive sharpening algorithms to minimise noise and halo effects and with intelligent upsampling users can increase the size of an image – large enough for a billboard – without pixelating the image.

Adobe Camera Raw 8 brings three new photo-editing capabilities to Photoshop CC. The Advanced Healing brush allows photographers to "heal" or "patch" images with a brush stroke instead of a circular area. The new Radial Gradient offers powerful controls to draw attention to the focus of an image without applying a standard vignette, and the Upright tool automatically straightens horizons and applies perspective corrections without distorting the image. Camera Raw edits can also be made to any layer or file within Photoshop CC.

Users can also now select multiple paths, shapes and vectors at once, providing a faster, easier workflow for working with multiple objects.

The new Creative Cloud update will be available from June and existing CS customers can receive an introductory offer to the new Creative Cloud from £27.34 a month. Single Apps can also be purchased for the introductory rate of £8.87 a month. A free 30-day trial is available but the amount of cloud storage is reduced to 2GB and you only receive limited access to the services.

Visit Adobe for more information.

To join in the discussion on this topic, take a look at the ePHOTOzine forum

For those of you who are Lightroom users, a post on Adobe's blog has confirmed that Lightroom 5 will still be available as a standalone product.

Comments

mike4604 4 1 United Kingdom
7 May 2013 12:14PM
well thats gonna be the end of Adobe then. No way am i paying a monthly fee on top of all other monthly outgoings, and i bet im not alone. Plenty of other competition to move to now.

colinmac 5 10 1 Ireland
7 May 2013 4:54PM
I agree, I have enough overheads without having to pay a sub of about 330 per annum, Tou could purchase DXO or elements for a fraction of that and a one off cost.
Colin.
7 May 2013 5:21PM
Have a look at Adobe's Photoshop FB page. The response has been overwhelmingly negative. Its going to be very interesting how they spin themselves out of this mess.

I'll probably stick to using CS6. If I go on to CC, its going to cost me more in the long-run, so its a no from me...Tongue
I want a hard copy of all my software and I tend to do my 'digital stuff' off line, I don't want to be connected to the internet 24/7 and I'm very VERY wary of the snooping/tracking on the internet.

Just think of the implications, geo-tagging, meta-data, this information could be used track you FOREVER and that information sold to???????? (just like Facebook).

It does seem very expensive for long term use too.

Bottom line...............no thanks
7 May 2013 5:47PM
You've got the wrong idea Marky. Your computer does not have to be permanently connected to the internet 24/7. My understanding is the software is installed on your computer as normal. Files are saved to your computer as normal. However around once a month it connects to the internet to verify your subscription.

What people are complaining about is primarily the subscription price. Its going to cost some users a lot more to use. As an example, and if I understand this correctly, if you subscribe to PS only, it will cost you around $20.00 per month. Over an 18 month period (which has roughly been Adobe's upgrade cycle), it will cost you around $360.00, but if you had bought an upgrade like we have done in the past, it will cost around $220.00.
Thanks contemporary dave. I thought the 'cloud' was where the programme sits and you have to do the editing on their computer.

I'm getting old, trying to keep up here Blush
7 May 2013 8:10PM
You've actually made a good point. Using the term 'cloud' does give the wrong impression about the product.
mike4604 4 1 United Kingdom
8 May 2013 5:58AM
It has already gone global, this could be a massive adobe mistake, already a petition started against the move. Im staying with my CS6 hard copy, it does everything i want and i wont pay them anymore.
seahawk e2
7 529 United Kingdom
8 May 2013 2:32PM
I use LR and would be lost without it - briefly. If LR was added to cloud-only then I would be looking at Aperture or Capture One. Apple must be jumping up and down with glee at this move by Adobe as it would make many Mac users shift to Aperture. The photography-world is where Apple has a strong presence so that number could be considerable, including many amateur togs like me for whom the cloud is way too expensive an option.
Adobe shot themselves in the foot with LR4, which had a lot of problems and cost a lot of customer goodwill (which LR5 might help recover) and now they've done it again IMO. This is what happens when the accountants in a big company become more important than the creative crew. This is all about cash-flow, pure and simple, and I do't think I'll be playing. It won't stop piracy either (though I'm sure that is one of their motives) because pirated versions will still be obtainable eventually, in fact their use may well increase.