Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
ArcSoft Portrait+ is an auto retoucher for portrait shots that includes batch processing and one-click styles. It is available as a standalone program for Windows and Mac priced $179.99 (around £120.88 as of 08/07/13) or as a Photoshop plug-in (Windows only) for $79.99 (around £53.72 as of 08/07/13).
- Automatically pinpoint 24 facial key features with manual fine tuning to ensure accuracy
- Blemishes, wrinkles and other obvious skin imperfections are detected and removed intelligently
- Detect up to 20 faces in one photo. A skip face tool allows some faces in a photo to be enhanced while others are ignored
- Batch import and export hundreds of photos
- With one-click, styles are applied to all of the photos
- Individual styles can be created and applied to different photos during batch processing
- Automatic detection of the facial area and almost all visible skin in a photo
- Five skin smoothing levels cover all skin types. Choose the most suitable to soften skin, reduce blemishes and optimize complexion
- Selectable brushes let you easily tweak skin-softening areas
- Smart blemish removal to eliminate deep scars, pimples and other imperfections while simultaneously restoring the original skin texture
- New Styles Bin lets you quickly check or delete the applied styles for each photo
- 27 refined pre-set styles like Brighten Eyes, Slim Face, and Deepen Smile
- Customise styles with adjustable makeup kits
- Save custom styles and apply them to your other photos at any time with one click
- Adjust the output quality/size of all photos at once
- Export all the images and filter out the less desirable results with an embedded comparison interface
Alongside the key adjustment features is the blemish removal and adjust skin area. The blemish removal is good for removing spots etc., and there are five different removal sizes to choose from. Picking the one which is nearest to the size of the blemish gives the best results. The adjust skin area option shows you the mask created for the skin, which you can adjust if it hasn't got it quite right automatically.
All of the tools mentioned so far are on a toolbar underneath your image, this also has buttons to view before and after, as well as zoom in and out. The area underneath this toolbar shows you thumbnails of the images you've loaded in to Portrait+. You can remove them individually, remove all or upload more. The export button is also here, we'll talk more about this later.
On the right-hand side of the screen are the preset styles you can apply to one or all of your images, there are 26 and there is a button which lets you apply the style to all of your images rather than just the one. You're also able to create your own DIY styles, choosing from soften skin, remove shine, slim face, brighten eyes, enlarge eyes, remove circles, enhance nose, deepen smile and whiten teeth. You can choose low, medium or high, or use the slider for more accuracy. Included in the presets are makeup presets plus, you can make your own. Options here include foundation, whiten skin, blush and lift cheeks.
The presets all do a good job with just one click, so for beginners it's an ideal product. There are examples of each of the presets below. If you're using the software on male faces you need to be careful as the presets make them look a little feminine. Performing the edits to multiple images is easy, just load all of the images you want to edit, each preset has the option to apply all images.
ArcSoft Portrait+ Sample Photos
Cleanse 2 & Beautify
Cleanse 3 & Beautify
Cleanse 2 & Brighten Eyes
Cleanse 3 & Brighten Eyes
Cleanse 2 & Deepen Smile
Cleanse 3 & Deepen Smile
Cleanse 2 & Enhance Nose
Cleanse 3 & Enhance Nose
Cleanse 2 & Slim Face
Cleanse 3 & Slim Face
Cleanse 3 & Lift Cheeks
Cleanse 2 & Liven Skin
Cleanse 2 & Whiten Skin
Cleanse 2 & Tanned Skin
Makeup - Breeze
Makeup - Glam
Makeup - Honey
Makeup - Late Night
Makeup - Paris
Makeup - Smoky Eyes
Makeup - Nighttime
Makeup - Refresh
When you've finished your editing it's time to save. Whether you're editing one or a hundred photos, the process is the same, you hit the export button. You're able to choose the location you want to save to, rename, resize, choose the format and quality.
|ArcSoft Portrait+ is both easy to use and produces impressive portraits in seconds.|
ArcSoft Portrait+ ProsVery easy to use
Available as both a standalone program and Photoshop plug-in
You can make your own presets
ArcSoft Portrait+ ConsStandalone version is a little expensive
Facial recognition needed some manual input on occasions
Easy to make male subjects look unnatural
No RAW support
|VALUE FOR MONEY|
ArcSoft Portrait+ is available as a standalone program for Windows and Mac priced $179.99 (around £120.88 as of 08/07/13) or as a Photoshop plug-in (Windows only) for $79.99 (around £53.72 as of 08/07/13). For more information, visit the ArcSoft website.