The winners of the British Wildlife Photography awards 2012 have been announced.
The competition has captured the imagination of thousands of photographers, who collectively have created a stunning and innovative series of images which showcase British wildlife at its best.
With twelve separate categories covering everything from marine life and animal behaviour to creepy crawlies and urban wildlife; the awards beautifully reveal the unseen splendour and surprising diversity of Britain’s wildlife. There are also two special junior categories to encourage young people to connect with nature through photography.
The winning image was captured on a remote location off the North coast of Scotland. Dr Matt Doggett who took the winning image said “It was an incredible experience being in the water surrounded by these high speed divers”. Judge Greg Armfield from WWF described the photograph "A striking image that manages to capture in parallel the raw power and grace of the diving gannets. A beautiful and evocative shot."
The winners were:
British Wildlife Photographer
- Dr Matt Doggett, for his image entitled: “Gannet Jacuzzi”.
Young People’s Award WildPix / BWPA Under 12
- William Briggs, for his image of a chaffinch
- Ashley Butterworth, for his image of arctic terns.
The Adult Category winners are:
- Neil McIntyre, “Red deer stag in pine forest”
- Phil Jones, “Starlings watching starlings”
- Alexander Mustard, “Grey seal in underwater cave”
- Dale Sutton, “Leap for freedom”
Coast and Marine
- Dr Matt Doggett, “Gannet Jacuzzi”
- Amanda Hayes, “Herring gull and puffin”
- Jeremy Walker, “New Forest in Autumn”
- Stephen William Powles, “Culm divided”
Wildlife In My Backyard
- David Handley, “Wasp house cleaning”
Documentary Series Portfolio
- Mark Hamblin. Feature on Glen Tanar Estate.
British Seasons Portfolio
- Jules Cox, “Snow hare”.
Wildlife In HD Video
- Raymond Besant “Fulmars”.
The images are on display in various galleries up and down the country:
Nature in Art ,
Gloucester. 9th October – 25th November, 2012
, Yorkshire. 3rd November – 16th December 2012
Moors Valley Country Park
, Dorset. 2nd February – 17th March, 2013
Stockwood Discvery Centre,
Museums Luton, Bedfordshire. 19th January - 30th March 2013.
, North Wales. April –May. Dates to be confirmed.
Glencoe Visitor Centre
, Scotland. Dates to be confimed.
For more information and to view the winning images, visit the BWPA website.