Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Canon EOS 30D - The new upgrade to the Canon EOS 20D sticks with the same 8 megapixel APS-C sensor format. The LCD screen has been made larger and other improvements have been included to improve the handling and ease of use of the camera.
Canon is pleased to announce the new EOS 30D, replacing the award winning EOS 20D. Retaining the 5fps, 8.2 Megapixel performance of its predecessor, the upgraded camera enjoys a larger, wider viewing angle 2.5 LCD, extended 100,000 shutter cycle durability, spot metering, and a variety of refinements designed to enhance the photographic experience. Targeted at an increasingly discerning population of serious creative photographers, the EOS 30D replaces a camera that already claims a significant share of the Western Europe D-SLR market, which grew by 120% in the past 12 months1.
The EOS 30D features:
- 8.2 Megapixel APS-C size CMOS sensor
- 5fps and 30 large JPEG frame burst
- 2.5, 230K pixel, 170 wide viewing angle LCD screen
- Picture Style image processing parameters
- Spot metering and High Precision 9-point AF system
- DIGIC II image processor with 0.15 sec start-up time
- Digital Photo Professional RAW processing software
- 100,000 cycle shutter durability and rugged magnesium alloy body
- Simultaneous RAW and JPEG recording
- Wide 100-3200 ISO range
- E-TTL II Flash
- PictBridge compatibility
- Complete compatibility with all Canon EF and EF-S lenses and EX-series Speedlites
- USB 2.0 Hi-Speed and Video Out connectivity
A rapidly expanding population of serious and semi-commercial creative photographers is helping drive EOS growth, said Mogens Jensen, Head of Canon Consumer Imaging Europe. As well as putting many high-end pro features into their hands, the EOS 30D becomes a launching pad into the worlds most comprehensive interchangeable lens system and huge range of flash units and accessories.
Many improvements on the EOS 20D are made in response to EOS 20D owner feedback. Along with the larger screen, improved durability and 3.5% area spot metering, these include Canons Picture Style pre-sets, Canons in-camera image processing standard. Picture Styles can be likened to selectable film types for different photographic expression (see appendix Technologies Explained). Frame rate is selectable between 5 and 3fps and photographers are given finer control over exposure, with ISO settings now adjustable by 1/3 stop increments rather than whole stops. A Print/Share button is included and the camera features new advanced PictBridge functionality. The maximum number of images in a folder is increased from 100 to 9,999, while the in-built flash has been upgraded to match the 100,000 shutter cycle durability, an increasingly important feature in the digital age.
Speed and image quality
The EOS 30D features Canons award winning CMOS sensor technology, with large 6.4m2 pixels for wide dynamic range with low noise. Any remaining fixed pattern and random noise is dealt with by on-chip noise elimination circuitry. A low-pass filter in front of the sensor reduces false colour and moir effects, while an infrared filter suppresses red fringing caused by sensor reflections and fog. The camera features Canons DIGIC II processor now found across the digital EOS range. DIGIC II maximises speed and image quality by processing uncompromisingly complex colour rendition algorithms, clearing the buffer at high speed. (For more on CMOS and DIGIC II, see appendix Technologies Explained).
EOS: The system
One of the EOS 30Ds greatest advantages is the EOS system: compatibility with all Canon EF and EF-S lenses, EX-series Speedlites and EOS accessories such as the Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E1. The EOS 30Ds EF-S lens mount allows connection to Canons range of lighter and wider angle lenses, including the new wide aperture EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM standard zoom lens. Indicative of Canons commitment to lens development is the release today of the exceptionally fast EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM, for low light and extremely narrow depth of field photography. For high-speed processing of lossless RAW images and complete capture-to-print workflow management, the EOS 30D also comes with Canons latest Digital Photo Professional software (see appendix Technologies Explained).
To extend the EOS 30Ds 750 shot2 battery life and increase handling options, the camera is compatible with the BG-E2 battery grip. The BG-E2 takes two Lithium-Ion battery packs for up to 2,2003 frames or six AA batteries4 in the supplied BGM-E2 battery magazine. For easy vertical shooting, the BG-E2 provides additional shutter release, main dial, AE lock/FE lock and AF point selection controls.
Canons current EOS range now includes:
EOS-1Ds Mark II - 16.7 Megapixels, 4 fps
EOS-1D Mark II N - 8.2 Megapixels, 8.5 fps
EOS 5D - 12.8 Megapixels, 3 fps
EOS 30D - 8.2 Megapixels, 5fps
EOS 350D - 8.0 Megapixels, 3fps
As well as the latest Digital Photo Professional RAW image processing software, the EOS 30D comes with Canon EOS Solution Disk, containing the new EOS Utility (integrating remote capture software), plus the latest versions of ZoomBrowser/ImageBrowser and PhotoStitch.
The EOS 30D includes membership of Canons online photo album, CANON iMAGE GATEWAY with 100MB of space for image uploads and photo sharing5.
Pricing and availability
The EOS 30D will be available from March 2006, priced at:
EOS 30D body only:
1099.99 RRP inc. VAT/ 1599.99 RRP inc. VAT
EOS 30D plus EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 (non USM) lens:
1179.99 RRP inc. VAT/ 1749.99 RRP inc. VAT.
EOS 30D Specifications:
- Type - 22.5 x 15.0mm CMOS
- Effective Pixels - Approx. 8.2M
- Total Pixels - Approx. 8.5M
- Aspect Ratio - 3:2
- Low-Pass Filter - Built-in/Fixed
- Colour Filter Type - Primary Colour
- Type - DIGIC II
- Lens Mount - EF/EF-S
- Focal Length - 1.6x Multiplication with EF lens fitted
- Type - TTL-CT-SIR with a CMOS sensor
- AF System/ Points - 9-point AF
- AF working range - EV -0.5-18 (at 20C & ISO100)
- AF Modes - AI Focus, One Shot, AI Servo
- AF Point Selection- -Automatic selection, Manual selection
- Selected AF point display - Superimposed in viewfinder and indicated on top LCD panel
- Predictive AF - Yes
- AF Lock - Locked when shutter button is pressed half way in One Shot AF mode.
- AF Assist Beam - Intermittent firing of built-in flash
- Manual Focus - Selected on lens
- Metering modes - TTL full aperture metering with 35 zone SPC (1) Evaluative metering (linked to any AF point) (2) Partial metering (approx. 9% of viewfinder at centre) (3) Spot metering: Centre spot metering (approx. 3.5% viewfinder at centre) (4) Centre weighted average metering
- Metering Range - EV 1-20 (at 20C with 50mm f/1.4 lens ISO100)
- AE Lock - Auto: Operates in 1-shot AF mode with evaluative metering when focus is achieved Manual: By AE lock button in creative zone modes.
- Exposure Compensation - +/- 2 EV, 1/2 or 1/3-stop increments
- AEB - +/- 2 EV, 1/2 or 1/3-stop increments
- ISO Speed Equivalent - 100-1600 (in 1/3-stop increments) ISO can be expanded to H: 3200 (selected in Custom Function)
- Type - Electronically-controlled focal-plane shutter
- Speed - 30-1/8000 sec (1/2 or 1/3 stop increments), Bulb.
- Shutter release - Soft touch electromagnetic release
Order it from the ePHOTOzine shop here