Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Canon introduce update for EOS 300 -
The EOS 300 has been updated and becomes the EOS 300V.
- Advanced, futuristic design
- Fastest autofocus in its class
- Superimposed AF point display
- Built-in dioptric eyepiece adjustment
- Improved evaluative metering algorithm
- Flash-off added to PIC modes
- Film advance speed increased to 2.5fps
- Built-in flash moved further from the lens
- More information on larger LCD panel
- LCD panel illumination for low light photography
- New button for film advance mode setting
- Power saving extends battery power
The most obvious change is to the appearance. There is a new-style grip, the command dial has moved from the left to the right of the camera, and the LCD panel has been enlarged and moved to the back of the camera. There is also a colour change the warm platinum finish of the EOS 300 gives way to a silver sheen on the EOS 300V. Inside the camera, there is an additional PIC mode, plus several worthwhile improvements to the autofocus speed and film advance.
The new design, with its silver finish, is followed through to some of the new lenses, making them a best match for the camera. However, the EOS 300V has the standard EF lens mount and accepts all the lenses in the EOS system. One feature which will please many photographers is the metal lens mount. Recent models in this class used a mount made of polycarbonate resin. Although durable, some users felt it was inferior to metal.
The LCD panel, which displays most of the camera settings, is built into the EOS 300V camera back. It is nearly three times larger than on previous models, and has a built-in back light, making it easier to see the information in all conditions.
The command dial, used to set the shooting modes, is now close to the shutter button. Most of the camera controls are grouped in this area, making it possible to operate the EOS 300V with just the right hand. A new addition to the command dial is the Oflash off mode, which disables both the built-in flash and any attached Speedlite flash gun - useful when you are shooting in places where flash photograph is not permitted.
The EOS 300V is available in a range of kits. All prices include VAT.
- EOS 300V with EF 28-105mm USM 369.99 (Twin kit 469.99)
- EOS 300V with EF 28-90mm USM 319.99 (Twin kit 419.99)
- EOS 300V with EF 28-90mm 299.99 (Twin kit 379.99)
The Twin kits include the EF 75-300mm USM (first two kits) or the EF
75-300mm (third kit). Details of new lenses are on page 15.