Colouring Sparkler Light Trails
Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Creating Multi-Coloured Sparkler Trails - A software guide showing you how easy it is to colour sparkler trails.
Step 1: Open your sparkler photo in your image editing program and magnify the image so it fills the screen.
Step 2: Select a brush with a size just bigger than the main trail width of the sparkler - excluding all the thin sparkling strands.
Step 3: Select the Overlay blend mode from the brush options. When you paint with this mode it will make sure paint just goes on the light areas and the black background is unaffected.
Step 4: Choose a bright colour paint for the brush and start to paint over the trail and the loose sparks. Go a little way around the trail and then change colour and paint some more.
Keep doing this until you reach the other end of the trail. You will now have a rainbow style painted trail.
We never claimed to be great at painting, but you get the idea! You can, of course, do variations, painting it all one colour or two tone. You can even try to use different blend modes. Some give very graphic cartoon style, others give a more surreal effect. Do note that some will paint over the trail and background so these are ones to avoid.
Find Out More About Nikon's Latest Products By Clicking The Links Below:
- Discover new perspectives with the inspirational D5200
- Give your photographic passions an adrenaline injection with the D7100
- Create monumental images with the groundbreaking D800
- Waterproof, shockproof, and freeze-proof, the amazingly fast Nikon 1 AW1 always delivers
- The COOLPIX A - combining the portability of a compact camera with DSLR performance
- Unleash your creativity with the COOLPIX P520, the bridge camera with a 42x super zoom
- The COOLPIX P7800 – giving you superior quality images and creative control in a compact body
- Take control of life with this super-fast Nikon 1 interchangeable lens system camera