Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Epson Turns 70 - Epson tomorrow announces its 70th anniversary, celebrating as many years in business.
Epson began life in 1942 as a watch components manufacturer named Daiwa Kogyo in the Japanese city of Suwa, Nagano Prefecture. Since then, Epson has grown to become a globally recognised brand and leader in imaging and innovation.
The company started with nine employees operating in a modified storehouse used for miso - a traditional Japanese seasoning used in some soup and noodle dishes. The Epson brand was created in June 1975 and the foundation of Seiko Epson took place in November 1985.
Along this journey, milestone products and industry firsts include:
- 1968 - EP-101: The world's first compact, lightweight digital printer and the origin of Epson's printer business - representing a breakthrough in printer size
- 1969 - Seiko Quartz Astron 35SQ: the first quartz timepiece small enough to fit on a wrist instead of a table, giving people access to the correct time, anytime and anywhere
- 1987 - SG-615 crystal oscillator: The quartz device industry's first crystal oscillator to come in a plastic Surface Mount Device (SMD) package
- 1994 - ELP-3000: A projector with dramatic reductions in size and weight, and the ability to connect to a PC with just one cable
- 1996 - Epson Stylus Photo: Offering high image quality and print speed to help bring casual colour printing to the home and office for the first time
For more information, please visit the Epson website.