Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Europeans Dominate Underwater Photo Olympics - 10 out of 14 winners at World’s largest marine photography competitions from Europe.
The Epson Red Sea and Epson Underwater Grand Prix photography competitions have been dominated by Europeans, with photographers from France, Italy, Spain, Portugal and Slovakia sharing ten prestigious prizes between them.
Known as the "Underwater photography Olympics", with combined prize money of $80,000, the Epson Red Sea competition attracts amateur and professional photographers.
For the first time this year, the Epson Red Sea competition also provided a venue for the 2011 Epson Underwater Grand Prix awards ceremony. The inaugural Underwater Grand Prix, the first global marine photography competition, took place throughout August, attracting more than 226 photographers from 27 different countries including Alaska, China, Egypt, Russia, Tahiti, Mexico, and Papua New Guinea.
In the Epson Red Sea competition, Esteban Tore, a Spanish professional and autodidact photographer, was recognised in several categories including Fish of the Year and Best Singular Entry.
Stefano Proakis won the Jury's prize and the jury said his work: "really provides a glance of submarine life; with the sunlight filtering through the dock and highlighting the fish and corals. The black and white effect works very well."
Marco Caraceni won the Environmental category in the Epson Underwater Grand Prix competition. His pictures were taken in an old fish farm, Posidonia, in the Adriatic Sea where cages and fishing nets have been abandoned killing the animals. Nicolas Barraque was crowned the winner of the wreck category and Christian Goettsche from Germany was the runner up in the amateur category.
Epson Red Sea Competition Winner's List:
- 5 Best Images Category - Amir Stern, Israel
- Best Singular Entry - Esteban Tore, Spain
- Mayor of Eilat's Prize - Alex Vanzetti, Israel
- The Judge's Prize - Esteban Tore, Spain
- Fish Of The Year - Esteban Tore, Spain
- The Amateurs Category - Francisco Negrillo, Spain
- Fish & Fashion - Johannes Felten, Israel
- Eilat's Video Clip - Yigal Aharoni, Israel
- Children of Epson Red Sea- Liraz shaul
- Amateurs - Christophe Dufour, France
- Best Wrecks Of The World - Barraque Nicolas, France
- Fresh Water - Keri Wilk, Canada
- Dive Destinations - Martin Strmiska, Slovakia
- Macro - Esteban Tore, Spain
- Wide Angle - Nuno Sa, Portugal
- Enviromental Conservation - Marco Caraceni, Italy
For more information please visit the Eilat Red Sea website or the Epson World Shootout website.