PortraitPro 12 HALF PRICE + EXTRA 10% OFF code EPZROS612

EPZ member Glen Dettmer in National Geographic

EPZ member Glen Dettmer in National Geographic - ePHOTOzine member Glen Dettmer had been photographing wildlife for about two months when he achieved the Top Shot in National Geographic magazine.

Category : ePHOTOzine

EPZ member Glen Dettmer in National Geographic44-year-old construction worker Dettmer had been given a camera by the company he worked for two months previous to featuring in the top nature magazine. And his location might not be what you had expected either. The image was taken in the Fort Lauderdale motel room where Dettmer was staying at the time in a completely staged scenario. He collected a plant stem covered in grasshoppers, added a length of vine and snail and stuck a green piece of construction paper to the wall behind to serve as a backdrop. He then named the image Friends Meet 1.

"The company gave me the camera for work," admits Dettmer, 44. "It's supposed to be for shooting before-and-after pictures of construction," but he was inspired to carry out more photography by Florida's plentiful wildlife. "I've shot millipedes, turtles, fish, and iguanas so far," he says. "I don't think I've used it for work yet."

After his family convinced him how spectacular the shot was and encouraged him to put the image to further use, Dettmer uploaded the image to the gallery's here at ePHOTOzine, winning the Editor's Choice, and went on to enter it in the National Geographic's Your Shot gallery, being printed as the only picture on the page.

National Geographic Photo editor Susan Welchman said it was one of the “prettiest shots” she had ever seen.

Comments

mattw 10 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
2 Aug 2007 7:05PM
Congratulations Glen!

GlenD 7 United States
2 Aug 2007 7:29PM
Wow thanks everyone!! Really getting some overwehlming attention with this shot and totally unexpected too! Had it not been for this site and all the great people I've met here this would have never happened. Have to give a special thanks to my brother Steve (Stevophoto) and My Cuz Nick Tansley (Automan) for putting onto this site also My Mum Sandra and other Bro Bernie (bdettmer) for pushing me into sending the shot to NG. Must not forget my wife Leigh who set up a meeting with the Orlando Sentinel newspaper after the reporters girlfriend see the shot in NG and noticed I was local, She's a good ole gal!
Thanks again eveyone you don't know how much I appreciate it. All your votes and comments have been Brilliant! and thanks to Pete for the EC.

Glen
2 Aug 2007 9:34PM
That`s brilliant.. Well done..
bunSmile
Nick-T 8 45 United Kingdom
3 Aug 2007 1:44AM
Nice one Glen, it really is a good shot, you deserve it cuz, outstanding image with a simple yet very creative method using just what you had. Couldnt be better imo.

Nick
Coleslaw e2
8 13.4k 28 Wales
3 Aug 2007 12:37PM
wow, congrats!
ESP 7 26 England
8 Aug 2007 11:16PM
Many congratulations Glen...your stunning shot deserves all the credit it's getting Smile

Sara
derekv e2
7 3 England
15 Sep 2007 9:05AM
Congratulations Glen, superb image, deserves everything !
Derek