Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Yahoo announce winner - Yahoo! Have announced Eye-Fi as the winner of their annual Last Gadget Standing competition.
Yahoo! today announced the winner of the Yahoo! Tech Last Gadget Standing competition, hosted by Yahoo! Tech columnist and gadget expert Robin Raskin at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES).
The winner is Eye-Fi, a specially designed low-power wireless chip with a 2Gb memory card that automatically transfers photos from a camera to a Mac or PC or any of the popular photo-sharing sites and social networks.
The annual Last Gadget Standing competition is a live event where ten gadgets duke it out for consumers’ affection. Yahoo! Tech’s experts reviewed hundreds of products, and with the help of millions of Yahoo! readers, narrowed the list to ten gadgets that represent the most relevant products to consumers’ lives, as well as the directions the consumer electronics industry is headed. At the standing-room-only competition, each of the finalists gave a four minute demonstration of their products to the live audience, who then voted for the gadget they felt would make a difference in their lives.
“The experts always have a platform to give their opinions, but Last Gadget Standing gives the consumers a voice on what’s going to emerge as our next gadget idol,” Raskin said. “Last Gadget Standing winners represent the products that people believe will be relevant to their lives for years to come, and not simply disappear once CES is over.”
The remaining finalists included:
- Asus Eee PC 4G is a computer that costs only $399, has a tiny 7in screen, runs Linux, and comes with a suite of great software applications.
- The Verizon LG Voyager phone has a touch screen and beneath the flip is a Qwerty keyboard for easy typing.
- Dash Express is an Internet-connected GPS device that gives real-time traffic conditions based on data transmitted from other Dash users. Users can also receive up-to-the minute notifications via Yahoo! Local about everything from movies to gas prices.
- Sansa TakeTV offers a simple and less expensive way to move downloaded TV programs around the house. Using a cradle with standard RCA and S-Video plugs, your TV media is stored on the USB memory stick.
- iRobot's iLooj is a robotic gutter cleaner that will clean a stretch of gutter (60ft) in 10 minutes.
- Toshiba's TDP-EW25U wireless DLP projector can produce an image that casts 41ft or 1.6ft, create a 60in picture even when it's positioned 2.4ft away, and accommodates high-definition video.
- The Logitech DiNovo is a wireless keyboard that fits in the palm of a hand and makes it simple to navigate media when a user connects a PC to a TV screen.
- Electric~Spin’s Golf Launchpad Tour is a unique golf simulation input device that allows users to play golf in the convenience of their home, with their own clubs.
- Fujitsu’s U810 WWAN is an ultra-mobile PC with state-of-the-art connectivity.
"All the finalists for Last Gadget Standing are winners in that they represent ideas that will fuel the imagination of the audience about what technology can do," Raskin added.
More information about the Wi-Fi Wirless Memory Card can be found here.