Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Film camera sales soar at Argos

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Category: Industry News

Film camera sales soar at Argos - Argos reap the benefits of rival Dixons decision to axe sales of 35mm cameras

Posted:
Print Article Add Comment Add CommentJargon Buster: Off Jargon Buster: Off
Argos, one of the UK's biggest camera retailers with a network of over 600 stores, have reported a surge in demand for traditional film cameras since Dixons made their announcement, and sales have gone up 20 per-cent on the previous week. Argos continue to sell a whole range of film cameras, ranging from 4.99 disposable cameras to professional quality SLR cameras.

Commenting on the increase in sales Andrea Abbis, Camera Buyer for Argos, said: "Their [Dixons] loss is our gain. It seems that there is still pent up demand for film cameras, even though they have certainly been eclipsed by digital cameras in recent years."

Argos' Melanie Nicholson explained that an element of panic buying could be responsible for the unexpected sales boom: "People see that a store like Dixons is no longer selling film cameras and automatically assume that nowhere else will be selling them either. They think they won't be able to get one so they rush out and buy one straight away."

Concluding, Andrea Abbis stated: "Whatever their reasons, our customers clearly still want them, so it's too early to sound the death knell for the film camera just yet."

Datacolor Introduces SpyderHD

New Datacolor Calibration Suite

Datacolor introduces a new top-of-the-line calibration suite...

JVCKENWOOD Declares Support For Micro Four Thirds Standard

JVCKENWOOD Join Micro Four Thirds Standard

JVCKENWOOD corporation has declared support for the Micro Fo...

Mary Ellen Mark To Receive Outstanding Contribution To Photography Award

Mary Ellen Mark To Be Awarded At SWPA 2014

Mary Ellen Mark is to be honoured at the Sony World Photogra...

Comments

last ten
last ten  9416 forum posts Isle Of Man
17 Aug 2005 - 12:12 PM

I just cannot picture myself (sorry) going into Argos and purchasing a new 35mm camera from them, and then asking the assistant what is this button for or does this camera have a TTL metering system, and so on and so forth!!
Maybe I am being a little cynical over this announcement by Argos?
Peter

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
17 Aug 2005 - 12:54 PM

tim franklin
17 Aug 2005 - 12:54 PM

Could you picture yourself going into Dixons, Peter, and doing the same, regardless of whether it would be film or digital?

Neither will give the kind of expert (?) advice you mention. At least Argos make no pretensions of doing so.

sillyconguru
17 Aug 2005 - 3:21 PM

Hey! I bought my first SLR from Argos (it was the best deal at the time).

MartinJ
MartinJ  8
18 Aug 2005 - 2:48 AM

Good on Argos for continuing to supporting film! Why be a snob about where you buy your camera? If you know what you want and it's cheaper at Argos, you'd be daft to go elsewhere.

last ten
last ten  9416 forum posts Isle Of Man
18 Aug 2005 - 3:11 AM

Martin, I promise I was not trying to be a snob over this subject, I just like to go somewhere where someone can phisically point out features and pros and cons of a camera and I don't believe Argos will do this! Please correct me if I am wrong.

sillyconguru
18 Aug 2005 - 4:39 AM

So, where would you suggest? Jessops? Wink

Fair enough; Argos won't let you handle the cameras before you buy, but they have a 14 day (no quibble) money back guarantee. They're a catalogue company, they have to do this, Jessops can get "shirty".

last ten
last ten  9416 forum posts Isle Of Man
18 Aug 2005 - 6:43 AM

I have had no problem with my local Jessops, so there is my suggestion...

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
18 Aug 2005 - 8:19 AM

So what's the difference between researching your camera and then buying it at Argos rather than the Internet? They do a good job of selling stuff and their returns police is infinitely better than Dixons' ever was.

last ten
last ten  9416 forum posts Isle Of Man
18 Aug 2005 - 10:35 AM

IMO The difference is first hand professional help and advice from people that are in the trade to sell CAMERAS that is the difference.

I presume you mean the returns POLICY as opposed to police and if this is the case and if you have read through the whole thread you will notice that I have never doubted the returns policy of Dixons or indeed Argos!! Therefore I am a little unsure where you are coming from on that one.

- Original Poster Comments