Leica Cameras have announced that they will provide a free firmware update for the Leica Digilux 3 on their website. The new firmware, Version 2.0, offers extensive improvements in the performance of effective digital SLR camera.
The improvements include:
- An additional function for multiple exposures.
- A third OIS mode (MODE 3) enabling the user to employ the panning technique.
- A mode that considerably improves the visibility of the monitor image when the camera is held below eye level.
- The aperture value can now be set more easily in the case of lenses (of other makes) that do not have aperture setting rings.
- White balance (WB), colour temperature, ISO-speed, and the flash mode can now be set with the cursor buttons as well as with the main setting dial. Confirming the settings is no longer limited in time.
- Auto Review now also includes a mode without a time limit.
- It is now possible to scroll to the other images even when the one being displayed is enlarged (with the zoom function).
- The firmware version can now be displayed using the set-up menu.
The new firmware will include additional exposure functions and a Mode 3 for optical stabilization. Mode 3 will further compensate and correct longitudinal camera movement. This mode is ideal for panning, a method of taking photographs where the camera follows a moving object.
Version 2.0 will also include a new mode that facilitates the reading of the LCD monitor during use of the LiveView. This setting will assist photography when the camera is held in a position close to ground level. Further improvements include the Auto Review setting, a Replay Zoom, easier accessibility to the ISO setting in Auto Exposure mode, as well as further improvements to camera operation and user interface.