Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Leica get extra exposure - Leica Camera AG are currently offering free firmware updates to the Leica Digilux 3.
Leica Cameras have announced that they will provide a free firmware update for the Leica Digilux 3 on their website. The new firmware, Version 2.0, offers extensive improvements in the performance of effective digital SLR camera.
The improvements include:
- An additional function for multiple exposures.
- A third OIS mode (MODE 3) enabling the user to employ the panning technique.
- A mode that considerably improves the visibility of the monitor image when the camera is held below eye level.
- The aperture value can now be set more easily in the case of lenses (of other makes) that do not have aperture setting rings.
- White balance (WB), colour temperature, ISO-speed, and the flash mode can now be set with the cursor buttons as well as with the main setting dial. Confirming the settings is no longer limited in time.
- Auto Review now also includes a mode without a time limit.
- It is now possible to scroll to the other images even when the one being displayed is enlarged (with the zoom function).
- The firmware version can now be displayed using the set-up menu.
The new firmware will include additional exposure functions and a Mode 3 for optical stabilization. Mode 3 will further compensate and correct longitudinal camera movement. This mode is ideal for panning, a method of taking photographs where the camera follows a moving object.
Version 2.0 will also include a new mode that facilitates the reading of the LCD monitor during use of the LiveView. This setting will assist photography when the camera is held in a position close to ground level. Further improvements include the Auto Review setting, a Replay Zoom, easier accessibility to the ISO setting in Auto Exposure mode, as well as further improvements to camera operation and user interface.
Detailed information on the firmware update for the Leica Digilux 3 will be available at Leica website beginning in mid June 2007, where firmware downloads will also be available.