Focus On Imaging Closes After 24 Years

Focus On Imaging Closes After 24 Years - Focus On Imaging, the annual photographic show held in the UK, has closed.

Category : Industry News

In a statement released by Focus On Imaging, Mary Walker has confirmed that the 2013 Focus On Imaging show will be the last show, after running 24 years.

"Following a successful and long-running contribution to the photography industry spanning 24 years of the annual Focus On Imaging exhibition - and after more than half a million visitors have enjoyed photography through the Show - Mary Walker Exhibitions would like to announce that the 2013 Focus on Imaging exhibition was the last."

Mary Walker said: "Focus on Imaging will not be sold - I'm simply bringing it to an end." She continued: "It is with great pride that I look upon an amazing period of time in my life, where I continually worked hard to run Focus On Imaging to the absolute best of my ability. I myself, the Show and my committed team have witnessed the phenomenal growth and revolutionary changes that have come to the photographic industry, and I am proud to have offered photographers and manufacturers an opportunity to come together professionally and personally over the years."

Mary added: "There are now so many elements of a photographer's working life that we simply could not have imagined back at the inception of the original 'Focus On Photography' as it was 24 years ago. It's been an immensely rewarding job that has brought experiences and friendships that will always remain. I am certain that the time is right for the industry to perhaps find fresh opportunities and bring new ideas to photographers - maybe we're due a new revolution of some kind?"

Mary is aware that she has a long list of people to thank, concluding: "I would like to offer my thanks to all of the exhibiting companies, large and small - both now and in the history of the Show - for their support; then of course my small team who have helped make everything happen each year; and certainly Focus would never have been the experience that it became without the visitors who walked through its doors. It's been a fantastic journey."

Comments

JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
31 May 2013 1:32PM
Well, I suppose it had run it's course.

I enjoyed several trips up there going back, I think, 20 years but have not been for quite a while.

JackAllTog e2
5 3.7k 58 United Kingdom
31 May 2013 3:59PM
I wonder why its closed and not saleable - do exhibitors not need the physical exposure any more? Or are the punters just tourists and not buyers?
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
31 May 2013 4:20PM

Quote:I wonder why its closed and not saleable

It perhaps is saleable, but who knows, Mary may have plans in the future, not yet announced, for something else using the Focus On Imaging name.
1 Jun 2013 6:36PM
So sad to hear this!!! I have been going for year with my father-in-law and we have learned loads about photography and got some bargains along the way.

I really hope something new comes along and give us "togs" somewhere to go in early March next year!!!
uggyy 9 2.1k 9 Scotland
3 Jun 2013 11:35AM
Was the number of exibitors down or some other problem?
NathanS 9 88 England
3 Jun 2013 1:19PM
Sad to see it go. Had not been for 2 or 3 years for various reasons, but had been planning to go again next year.
Diana e2
8 2.0k 19 Netherlands
4 Jun 2013 8:24AM
This has been planned for a while I am very proud to have been invited by Mary to exhibit my work at the final Focus on imaging 2013 and to have been part of the team with the advertising
10 Jun 2013 12:10AM
This is a great shame I have been a regular attendee for the last ten years and have spent many hours visiting the various stands and its where I developed my interest in studio photography.

There is no other exhibition of this type in the uk and with it gone many photographers will not have the opportunity to try different styles and types of photography. With the numbers of photographers increasing experientially with the advent of low cost SLR's there is now nowhere for them to meet like minded people and share there experience's
As I said sad day