Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
The FinePix A340 Zoom, marries Fujifilm's entry-level compact expertise with four megapixel resolution. Fuji say the camera represents extremely good news for those new to digital photography: high performance, sleek styling and complexity kept to a minimum.
The FinePix A340 Zoom has been developed with no-nonsense, enjoyable digital photography in mind. Offering 4 million effective pixel resolution, 3x optical zoom and a sturdy but stylish body, this camera forms a reliable base for shots that will satisfy every time.
Hugely efficient and simple to use, the FinePix A340 Zoom offers the user fully-automated
settings to ensure sharp detail, faithful colour reproduction and accurate exposure.
This, combined with low power consumption (operating on standard AA batteries)
and compatibility with xD-Picture Card format (available up to 512 Mb),
makes the FinePix A340 Zoom an ideal option for newcomers who want a smooth
transition into the world of digital photography.
In its quest for usability, the FinePix A340 Zoom offers every function to make image capture and viewing as simple as possible. Each of the camera's functions can be accessed via one-touch buttons positioned neatly alongside its 1.5" LCD monitor, and its Video Out socket enables users to view their images directly on a TV screen.
To ensure that successful images are always achieved, even in difficult photographic conditions, the FinePix A340 Zoom offers quick access to scene position modes including Portrait, Night, Sports and Landscape.
The camera is also compatible with PictBridge, the new industry standard for printing images directly from a digital camera without using a PC, making the print process simpler and more efficient than ever. Alternatively, users can take their xD-Picture Card into any photographic retailer offering digital photo printing and receive high quality, durable prints for framing or sharing.
FinePix A340 Zoom: features at a glance
- 4.0 million effective pixels
- Fujinon 3x optical zoom lens equivalent to 38 - 114mm on a 35mm camera
- One-touch, fully automatic operation, with easy navigation for beginners
- Fast start-up time of 3.3 seconds
- Highly efficient energy consumption: uses 2 x AA-type alkaline batteries
(or rechargeable batteries)
- Movie recording capability up to 60 seconds (320 x 240 pixels, 10 frames
- Video out for connection to a TV (NTSC/PAL)
- USB digital interface
- PictBridge compatible, for direct PC-free printing
- Clear 1.5" LCD display
- xD-Picture Card compatible (currently available up to 512MB)
- Optional PictureCradle for easy link to any PC/Mac if required
Adrian Clarke, Fujifilm's Director of Consumer Products, commented, "Fujifilm
was making first-rate compact film cameras many years before digital imaging
took off. Having proven our expertise with sensor and image processing, it would
be fair to say that the FinePix A340 Zoom is a great example of how both areas
have come together to create a highly desirable, affordable camera that will
produce great photos for everyone."
Long lasting battery life
The FinePix A340 Zoom has been specifically developed to reduce power consumption. The two AA alkaline batteries supplied with the camera deliver an impressive 220 shots under normal conditions.* Ni-MH rechargeable batteries are also available as part of the Fujifilm accessories range for even better battery economy, providing approximately 110 additional images before charging is necessary.
* Pictures taken with LCD screen off, and flash on for half of the pictures
|Number of effective pixels||4.0 million pixels|
|CCD sensor||1/2.7 inch pixel CCD|
|Number of recorded pixels||
Still image: 2272 x 1704 (3.87 million) / 1600 x 1200 / 1280 x 960 pixels
|File formats||Still image: JPEG (Exif Ver 2.2)
Movie: AVI (Motion JPEG)
(Design Rule for Camera File System compliant / DPOF-compatible)
|Storage media||xD-Picture Card (capacities currently up to 512 MB)|
|Lens||Fujinon 3x optical zoom lens|
|Lens focal length||Equivalent to 38 - 114mm on a 35mm camera|
|Focus distance||Normal: Approx. 60cm to infinity
Macro: Approx. 10 - 80cm
|Shutter speed||2 to 1/2000 sec.|
|Aperture||f/2.8 to f/4.8/f/5.6 to F9.5 (automatically selected)|
|Sensitivity||Equivalent to ISO 100 (with flash off)|
|Exposure control||64-zone TTL metering - multi|
|Exposure modes||Auto/manual EV/scene position mode|
|Digital zoom||1.7x (1280 x 960 pixels), 1.4x (1600 x 1200 pixels)|
|Shooting modes||Auto, pre-programmed scene position, manual, macro, movie|
|Movie recording||320 x 240 pixels: 10 frames/sec., up to 60 sec.
160 x 120 pixels: 10 frames/sec., up to 240 sec.
AVI format (Motion JPEG) without sound
|Playback||Single frame (with 14.2x playback zoom at 4M mode), 9 multi-frame (playback can be activated without powering the camera on)|
|Viewfinder||Real-image optical viewfinder, approx. 80% coverage|
|LCD monitor||1.5" Amorphous silicon TFT (approx. 60,000 pixels), approx. 90% coverage|
|Flash||Auto flash using CCD as flash control sensor
Effective range: Wide-angle (approx. 0.6m - 3.5m)
Telephoto (approx. 0.6m - 3.0m)
|Auto, Red-eye Reduction, Forced Flash, Suppressed Flash, (Slow Synchro, Red-eye Reduction + Slow Synchro: in manual mode)|
|Start-up time||3.3 seconds|
|Video out||NTSC / PAL selectable|
|Printing||PictBridge, DPOF and Exif Print 2.2 compatible|
|Terminal||USB 1.1 and 2.0 compatible interface (1.1 speed), 3 volt power-input socket, video out|
|Power source||2 x AA-type alkaline batteries (supplied) / Ni-MH rechargeable batteries or AC power adapter (optional)|
|Dimensions||104.1 (W) x 61.5 (H) x 31.3 (D) mm|
|Weight||145g (excluding batteries and media)|
- 16MB xD-Picture Card
- 2 x AA-type alkaline batteries
- Wrist strap
- USB cable
- Video out cable
- Cradle Adapter for FinePix A340 Zoom
- Owner's manual
- USB driver
- FinePix Viewer v. 4.2
- ImageMixer VCD2 for FinePix
- xD-Picture Card: 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512MB capacities currently available
- PC card adapter (DPC-AD)
- CompactFlash Card Adapter (DPC-CF)
- USB Memory Card Reader (DPC-R1)
- USB Pen Drive/xD-Picture Card reader (DPC-UD1)
- Fujifilm 7-in-1 Memory Card Reader (DPR-71)
- AC power adapter: AC-3V (can only be used as a battery charger with NH-10
via the PictureCradle CP-FXA10)
- Battery pack: NH-10 (can be only charged with PictureCradle CP-FXA10)
- PictureCradle: CP-FXA10 (includes AC-3VW and rechargeable battery NH-10.
Included NH-10 can be charged only in this cradle)
- Rechargeable AA-type NiMH battery (2HR-3UF)
- Ultra-fast charger with 6 x 2100mAh Ni-Mh batteries
- Standard battery charger (BK-NH) with 2 x 1700 Ni-Mh batteries
- Overnight charger with 4 x 1800mAh Ni-Mh batteries
- Soft case
Availability & pricing
The FinePix A340 Zoom will be available in the UK from leading photographic retailers in April 2004. Price to be announced. For information about Fujifilm and their products, please visit: www.fujifilm.co.uk or call 0207 586 1477.