Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Fujifilm has announced the new Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR with 42x optical zoom lens equivalent to 24 - 1000mm in 35mm terms, manual zoom control, ultra fast auto focus speeds with the use of a new phase detection sensor, 1cm macro mode, RAW shooting, manual controls, electronic level, and 500 shot battery life.
From Fujifilm: FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Shigehiro Nakajima) is proud to announce a new addition to its popular top-end series of FinePix Long zoom bridge cameras. The new flagship FinePix HS50EXR features a manual zoom mechanism for high precision zooming over the huge 42x focal length range (24-1000mm**). Boasting stunning autofocus speeds of just 0.05 seconds thanks to new Phase Detection pixels on its 1/2-inch EXR CMOS II sensor, this all-in-one camera is a high-speed performer and will capture images with stunning crisp quality.
1. Manual 42x optical zoom lens (24mm-1000mm)
This newly developed 42x FUJINON zoom lens offers the precision of a manual zoom and the stunning optical performance for which FUJINON lenses are world renowned. From 1cm Super Macro photography, 24mm wide-angle through to 1000mm telephoto, this lens offers focal lengths which would require several different lenses on a DSLR. To ensure premium image quality, the HS50EXR lens uses aspherical, ED and cemented elements and achieves blur reduction with optical Image Stabilisation, over the entire aperture range of f/2.8 to f/5.6. The lens features 17 elements in total, 15 of which have FUJINON's Super EBC coating on both sides for a reducing ghosting and flare in backlit and other challenging situations.
2. New EXR CMOS II sensor with Phase Detection for high performance
The HS50EXR boasts the latest FUJIFILM EXR sensor technology: a 16 million pixels 1/2-inch EXR CMOS II sensor, coupled with the EXR Processor II, which achieves twice the processing speed of the previous EXR processor.
The biggest difference over the HS30EXR is the inclusion of Phase Detection pixels on the sensor to achieve an incredibly fast autofocus speed of just 0.05 seconds in fastest conditions, less than a third of the 0.16 seconds AF speed of the HS30EXR. The Intelligent Hybrid AF system can choose between Phase Detection AF or switch to Contrast AF in low light to ensure the optimal focus system is used — dependent on the shooting conditions.
A Focus Peak Highlight feature helps photographers by highlighting high contrast areas of your subject. It provides a guide for focusing in situations where it's difficult to tell whether the subject is correctly focused; allowing users to manually focus whilst viewing on the LCD monitor.
The new EXR CMOS II sensor and EXR Processor II make the HS50EXR a truly powerful camera when it comes to capturing moving objects. In addition to the 0.05 seconds AF speed, it also achieves a start-up time of 0.5 seconds***, interval time between shots of just 0.5 seconds*4. And if you engage the Continuous Shooting mode it can shoot in burst of 11fps at the full 16 million pixels resolution (MAX.5frames) and seamless 5.5fps shooting at 8 million pixels resolution*4. Combined, these technologies mean that you will never miss that crucial shot, no matter how fast your subject is moving.
If you select EXR Auto, the HS50EXR uses Fujifilm's widely acclaimed auto mode to select from the three in-built sensor modes (HR, SN or DR) and determine the scene-type you are shooting from the 108 permutations recognised, ensuring that the optimum settings are employed to achieve the best picture quality possible.
3. Hassle free, any-angle shooting made creative & easy
The HS50EXR boasts two key features which help you shoot your favourite types of scene. Its 920k dots, highly detailed Electronic Viewfinder is perfect for helping you frame your composition in bright sunlight, or if you wear glasses. And if you are trying to take tricky, close to the ground, macro flower shots or want to capture the band on the main stage above the heads of the crowd, you can switch to the very useful 3.0-inch Vari-Angle LCD screen. Again boasting a detailed 920k dots, the LCD screen can fold out and flip around so you can see what you are taking — no matter what the angle you're trying to shoot at.
The styling of the HS50EXR is well thought through. Dials are placed on a sloping, rounded shoulder for easy access during shooting in a design that is both attractive and functional.
4. Artistic shooting effects
This exciting new camera features Fujifilm's proprietary Film Simulation modes. Users can choose from ten different modes which simulate the effects of traditional Fujifilm films. Including color reversal film effects (Velvia / PROVIA / ASTIA).
Also available on the HS50EXR are the Advanced Filter functions; users can choose from 8 different artistic filters:
- Pop Color — Emphasize contrast and color saturation.
- Toy Camera — Create shaded borders as if you were taking a photo on a toy camera.
- Miniature — Add top and bottom blur for a diorama or miniature effect.
- Dynamic Tone — Create a fantasy effect by dynamically-modulated tonal reproduction.
- Partial Color — Retain one selected original color and change the rest of the photo to black and white. Colors can be selected from red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple for dramatic effect.
- High Key — Enhance brightness and reduce contrast to lighten tonal reproduction.
- Low Key (NEW) — Create uniformly dark tones with few areas of emphasized highlights.
- Soft Focus (NEW) — Create a look that is evenly soft throughout the whole image.
5. Full HD Movie 1080p/60fps with continuous phase detection AF and stereo sound
The HS50EXR built in stereo microphone is now the ideal camera for the budding cinematographer. Thanks to the 1/2-inch EXR CMOS II sensor, the HS50EXR is capable of full HD movie recording (1080p) at up to 60 frames per second. Connect an external microphone to the dedicated input and you can get amazing sound to rival the image quality. If you want to be more creative you can record lower resolution movies at up to 480 frames per second*5 — and capture some amazing slow motion action. The Phase Detection pixel technology and scene recognition modes aren't limited to stills photography, they also come into play when recording movies to ensure that your masterpiece stays focused on faces and the action without losing sight of your subject.
6. FinePix HS50EXR Key features list:
- FUJINON 42x optical manual zoom (f/2.8-5.6 24-1000mm) with Optical Image Stabilisation, and up to 84x with Intelligent Digital Zoom
- 16 million pixels 1/2-inch EXR-CMOS II sensor with Phase Detection AF plus EXR Processor II ;
- Intelligent Hybrid AF: 0.05 sec, world's fastest
- Continuous shooting: 11fps at full resolution (MAX.5frames), 5.5fps at 8M for seamless capture.
- Start-up time of 0.5 sec.
- Shooting interval of 0.5 sec.
- 108 EXR Auto shooting patterns
- Full HD movie 1080P/60fps with continuous phase detection AF and stereo sound
- 3.0-inch Vari-Angle LCD screen (920K-dot)
- High resolution EVF (920K-dot) with eye sensor
- Q button for direct control of settings
- Super Macro: 1cm
- Manual exposure control (P/S/A/M modes)
- Focus Peak Highlight function on the LCD screen
- RAW shooting (RAW, JPEG, RAW+JPEG image capture modes)
- Shooting functions; 8 Advanced Filters, Film simulation, Multiple exposure, image capture aspect ratio of 1:1 (square) in addition to 4:3, 16:9, and 3:2, and more
- Virtual horizon “electronic level” display
- External microphone input (microphones sold separately)
- Hotshoe attachment for the use of external flash guns
- Lithium Ion battery with up to 500 shots per charge
* Fujifilm research as of November 2012.
Compared with other digital cameras, based on CIPA standards, and conducted in High Performance mode at the maximum wide-angle position with AF-area mode set to center position.
** 35mm format equivalent
*** Fujifilm research based on CIPA standards in High Performance mode
*4 Fujifilm research based on CIPA standards
*5 High Speed Movie can be recorded at the following speeds and sizes: 480fps (320 × 112 pixels), 240fps (320 × 240 pixels), 120fps (640 × 480 pixels)