Fujifilm has joined the serious compact market with a new compact camera with a larger than normal 12 megapixel EXR CMOS sensor, and bright f/2.0-2.8 lens with four times optical zoom. The lens is equivalent to 28mm to 112mm in 35mm terms, and the camera features a 2.8 inch screen.
The NEW Fujifilm X10 premium compact camera sets new standards in style and quality for digital photography
Fujifilm is proud to announce the addition of a new premium compact camera to its digital camera line up for autumn 2011. The X10 features a large 2/3" 12 megapixel EXR-CMOS sensor and a high-definition F2.0 wide-angle and F2.8 telephoto Fujinon 4x manual zoom lens (28-112mm), characterised by its brightness and superb picture quality right up to the edge of an image.
The X10 is a highly advanced compact camera with specifications that follow in the footsteps of the multi award-winning Fujifilm X100 (released in March 2011): the ultimate in refined design, components, functions and specification. Featuring a bright optical zoom viewfinder with a wide viewing angle, the X10 allows users to enjoy the pleasure of photography via a traditional viewfinder, providing all the benefits and ease of composition that this brings.
Thorough attention to detail is evident as soon as you take hold of the X10’s stunning body. With its upper control deck and base manufactured from lightweight, yet ultra strong, diecast magnesium alloy; and mode dials and lens ring featuring their quality, aluminium milled, textured finish. The intuitive operability of the various dials and shutter-release button is also apparent with the manual zoom lens doubling up as an on/off power switch, ensuring you can react quickly to potential photo shooting scenarios as they occur.
Newly-developed f/2.0 wide-angle and f/2.8 telephoto, bright FUJINON 4x optical manual barrel zoom lens
- The X10 features a newly-developed high-definition Super EBC (Electron Beam Coating) FUJINON lens which achieves superb clarity over the whole of the image. The lens consists of 11 glass lens elements in 9 groups, including 3 aspherical glass lens elements (6 sides) and 2 extra-low dispersion lens elements. The result is an ultra bright lens with a wide-angle maximum aperture of 2.0 and telephoto maximum aperture of 2.8. With its all-metal lens barrel you are guaranteed a smooth zoom action which helps you compose your photos quickly and easily. In addition, the camera’s power switch has been deftly built into the manual barrel zoom to facilitate fast responses and to help you avoid missed photo opportunities.
Featuring a newly developed Optical Image Stabilisation mechanism, you can rest assured that any lens aberration is kept to an absolute minimum and image resolution is maximised making the most of the sensor performance and delivering high quality images.
The lens is capable of taking super-macro shots as close up as 1cm. This function can also be combined with 7-blade aperture to deliver a stunning soft-focus “bokeh” effect perfect for shooting portraits using the telephoto zoom.
Combining a bright optical viewfinder with a wide viewing-angle and a manual barrel zoom lens
- Fujifilm’s engineers have used an arrangement of 3 aspherical lenses plus a special dach prism configuration to deliver a viewfinder with superior brightness and a superb field of view with its extra wide viewing angle, and all whilst still maintaining a compact camera size. This, combined with the Manual Barrel Zoom functionality, makes a real difference and brings a welcome old-style photographic feel to the X10.
Newly-developed large 2/3 inch 12 megapixel EXR-CMOS sensor and advanced EXR Processor
- The X10 features a newly-developed large 2/3" 12 megapixel EXR-CMOS sensor with approximately twice the sensor area, and approximately 2.5 times the pixel area, compared to existing Fujifilm camera models.
This bespoke EXR-CMOS sensor combines Fujifilm's proprietary EXR technology (which can select the optimum shooting mode from the three options below SN / DR / HR), with CMOS technology to provide bright, sharp images in all shooting conditions.
- SN High Sensitivity and Low Noise mode - produces clear and sharp highsensitivity images whilst keeping the noise levels low, and is an ideal choice for capturing night scenes or indoor situations with poor lighting.
- DR Wide Dynamic Range mode - delivers a much increased dynamic range (up to 1600%) delivering rich gradations and detail in both the shadows and highlights
- HR High Resolution mode - takes full advantage of the 12 megapixel resolution to reproduce the finest details in landscape and portrait scenes, perfect for use on bright clear days
In addition the X10 features a high-speed EXR-CMOS sensor and EXR processor which facilitate high-speed continuous shooting at up to 7 frames per second at the full 12 megapixel resolution (L size), and 10 frames per second at the reduced resolution M size.
Plus a 49-point matrix contrast AF which provides high-speed and high-precision auto focusing thanks to the fast CMOS capabilities and the advanced EXR Processor's AF system.
With its super speedy shutter-release time lag of approx. 0.01 seconds, the X10 can capture even the most fleeting of photo opportunities. And it’s also worth mentioning that it features best-in-class 1080p Full HD movie recording capabilities.
The X10’s elegant design has inherited the look and feel of the X100, along with its "made in Japan" seal of quality
- Manufactured from strong, yet lightweight, die-cast magnesium alloy, the X10’s upper control deck and camera base are perfectly designed and add a real sense of style and glamour to the camera. On top of this the exquisite notches of the exposure compensation dial and the satisfying torque feedback produced by the hidden metal ball in the click-stop mechanism ensure the quality of craftsmanship is truly apparent.
Fujifilm's unique functions for adjusting image quality
- EXR-Auto – for the automatic optimisation of the sensor and the camera settings The X10 not only offers “EXR-Auto” intelligent scene recognition (which adjusts camera settings to suit sunsets, blue skies, greenery, beaches, snow, etc.), and also detects people and identifies difficult to photograph backlight conditions, but now, it even has the ability to detect subject movements. The intelligent EXR-CMOS Sensor automatically selects the optimum shooting mode from a total of 99 different variations; this enables it to capture any kind of scene perfectly in even the most difficult shooting conditions.
In terms of ISO settings, the X10 can capture shots between ISO 100 for well lit conditions and top picture quality, and ultra-high ISO 12800 for the most minimal of lighting conditions. If the correct exposure cannot be obtained with the selected ISO setting, the ISO Auto Setting function adjusts it automatically between 100 and 3200.
For those of you that like to experiment, the X10 offers Fujifilm's unique Film Simulation modes, reflecting the company's background in photographic films. Eight settings are available, including Velvia / PROVIA / ASTIA which allow you to reproduce the well-known tones of highly popular colour reversal films, as well as X10 expands the scope of photo expression with Monochrome Mode that can be fine-tuned with R / Ye / G filter settings.
In addition to Auto White Balance, the X10 provides a choice of 9 white balance presets to compensate for the colour of different light sources. Users can also set a Custom White Balance using a grey card or other surface, or select the optimum Kelvin value.
The X10 also features detailed image adjustability settings with options including "Colour" to adjust colour strength, "Highlight Tone" / "Shadow Tone" to adjust contrast in highlight / shadow sections, and "Sharpness" to sharpen or soften pixel edges.
Finally there is a Noise Reduction Adjustment function to set the strength of noise reduction at five different levels according to the users' emphasis on whether to prioritise high resolution or low noise.
Other notable features on the X10:
Premium Accessory Line-up:
- 4x optical zoom featuring Fujifilm’s new Intelligent Digital 2x Telephoto zoom technology, doubling the telephoto capabilities and providing up to an 8x zoom
- Diverse manual shooting modes that can be selected according to scene type (Program / Aperture Priority / Shutter Speed Priority / Manual)
- Power start-up within approx. 0.8 seconds using on/off switch built into lens ring (must be in Quick Start mode) perfect for capturing any unexpected photo opportunities
- Motion Panorama 360 for seamless 360-degree panoramic shooting
- Manual pop-up flash with a range of 7 metres
- High-contrast and wide viewing-angle 2.8" 460K dot high contrast LCD monitor that provides excellent view-ability even if you’re outdoors in bright sunlight
- Electronic horizon levelling gauge to check the camera is being held on the level, and histogram display to check image gradation
- Four diverse auto bracketing functions for exposure, ISO sensitivity, dynamic range
- and film simulation
- RAW shooting and in-camera RAW processing (plus SilkyPix RAW conversion software is supplied in-box)
- Retro Leather Case - Black - To perfectly compliment the look and premium quality feel of the X10 camera body, a retro leather "quick shot" case with matching strap has been designed which fits the X10 like a glove. Made out of luxurious black leather it has been created with uncompromising attention to detail, ensuring the ultimate ease of use and practicality.
- Lens Hood - Precision milled from metal, a lens hood with adapter ring will be available. The adapter ring is also compatible with commercially sold 52mm filters and lens caps.
- TTL Flash - Compatible with Fujifilm’s EF-20 (Guide No.:20) and EF-42 (Guide No.:42) flash guns.
Fujifilm FinePix X10 Photos of Equipment
Fujifilm FinePix X10 Specifications
|Max Aperture||f/2 - f/2.8|
|35mm equivalent||28mm - 112mm|
|CCD pixels||12Mp (Megapixels)|
|Sensor Size||2/3 inch|
|Sensor Size (width)||8.8mm|
|Sensor Size (height)||6.6mm|
|Screen resolution||460,000 dots|
- AF Tracking
|Shutter speeds shortest||1/4000sec|
|Shutter speeds longest||30sec|
|ISO sensitivity||100 - 12800|
- 1280x720 720p
- 640x480 VGA
|Optical Zoom with Video||Yes|
|Battery Type||NP-50 Li-ion battery|
|Box Contents||Li-ion battery NP-50, Battery charger BC-45W, Shoulder strap, Lens cap, USB cable, CD-ROM, Owner's manual|
View Full Product Details