Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Fujifilm are pleased to announce the commercial release of the new FinePix X100, a high-grade digital compact camera featuring an APS-C CMOS sensor (12.3 megapixel), a Fujinon 23mm fixed focal length F2 lens and a newly developed Hybrid Viewfinder.
The development of the FinePix X100 was first announced at the Photokina Exhibition in Cologne, Germany in September 2010, where it received an enthusiastic welcome from both professional photographers and camera fans.
Finepix X100 – The Main Features
1. World's First Hybrid Viewfinder
The true enjoyment of photography begins with "the pleasure of seeing the world through a viewfinder". The new Hybrid Viewfinder has been developed to reintroduce users to this essential camera experience. It combines the window-type “bright frame” optical viewfinder found in rangefinder-type film cameras such as the classic 135-size or medium-format cameras, and the electronic viewfinder system incorporated in fixed single lens or mirror-less digital cameras. By integrating a prism for the 1,440,000 dot LCD panel image on the viewing screen in the reverse-Galilean optical finder, the Hybrid Viewfinder can show both the shooting frame and a variety of shooting data. Of course, it can also be used as a high-quality electronic viewfinder to compose or playback shots. With this ability to instantly switch between optical and electronic viewfinder images with simple “one touch” control, the new Hybrid Viewfinder offers users expanded freedom in the composition and enjoyment of photography in a wide range of challenging shooting conditions.
- The reverse Galilean optical finder with a 0.5× magnification features all-glass elements made from high-refractive index glass and demonstrates low chromatic aberration and distortion.
- In optical viewfinder (OVF) mode, the brightness of both the “bright frame” and text data is automatically adjusted according to the brightness of scene area, ensuring that shooting information is always easily and clearly viewable. Also, the displayed shooting data is constantly updated according to changes in shutter speed, exposure, sensitivity and other settings, so that the user's eye never has to leave the viewfinder.
- In electronic viewfinder (EVF) mode, the photographer can preview the picture or playback the result with the “through the sensor” image review and high-resolution 1,440,000-dot quality. With a flick of the one-touch lever, the user can switch to EVF to preview and confirm exposure settings, depth-of-field, and white balance – an especially useful capability when shooting macro shots and other scenes that are hard to confirm with only an optical viewfinder.
- 23mm (135 equivalent: 35mm) F2 lens. 8 elements in 6 groups. One aspherical glass moulded lens .
- The adoption of the non-collapsible lens structure with minimized lens length not only contributes to the compact size but also eliminates telescoping of the lens when the power is on. It’s ready to start shooting the moment the user turns it on.
- Exploiting the merits of a fixed focal length lens, this lens delivers sharp resolution of the total image from the centre to the corners. In addition, the lens features not only the large F2 aperture value, but also an optical architecture that maintains a high degree of resolution even when closed by 1 to 2 stops.
- The adoption of a 9-blade aperture diaphragm combined with the large F2 aperture and high-quality optics lets users take photos with a beautiful circular soft out-of-focus (bokeh) effect.
- Macro shooting as close as 10 cm lets users explore the fun and fascination of close-up photography.
- The built-in ND filter (equivalent f-stop reduction of 3) can be switched ON/OFF via simple in-camera settings.
- The FinePix X100 features a custom CMOS high-performance sensor, internally optimised and developed exclusively for this model.
- Optimisation of the angle-of-incidence in conjunction with the specially developed lens maximises light gathering efficiency extending to the perimeter of the sensor for a sharper image with exceptional clarity.
- When shooting HD movies, the combination of the large-sized sensor and the large aperture F2 lens, lets users shoot a soft out-of-focus touch (bokeh) — a capability not available in conventional compact cameras.
- The ideal combination of a fixed focal length lens, high-sensitivity sensor and a high-performance image processor captures exceptionally high-quality images over the entire sensitivity range, from ISO200 to ISO6400 (expandable to include ISO100 and 12800).
- The newly developed EXR Processor takes EXR processing to new heights. Combined with the high-sensitivity sensor, the EXR Processor achieves the highest resolution, sensitivity and dynamic range ever produced by a FinePix camera for the ultimate in image quality every single shot.
- The high-speed CMOS sensor read-out and the EXR Processor’s enhanced focusing system contributes to the high-speed AF performance, while the combination of the optical viewfinder and extremely low shutter time lag enhance the pleasure of every shot.
- Beautiful, high-quality design inspired by the classic beauty and feel of traditional film cameras.
- The top cover of the upper control deck and the bottom surface have been die-cast from magnesium alloy (semi-solid metal casting), contributing to a high-precision camera body.
- All dials and rings are precision milled from metal. Adoption of traditional ‘manual’ dials lets the user confirm the position of the settings without turning on the power.
- The ergonomics of the design offer the perfect balance between compact convenience and user-friendly functionality.
- The camera controls have been carefully thought out to give the photographer simple and speedy access to aperture, shutter speed, ISO etc, allowing maximum creative expression with minimum hassle and enabling you to view settings even when the camera is powered off. Custom modes can also be used for a one-touch change in settings.
- Premium quality is obvious in every detail. The chassis has been finished with high-quality leather-like accents and is a delight to use and a pleasure to hold.
- In addition to Fujifilm's original Film Simulation Modes that give photos the distinctive look of Velvia, PROVIA and ASTIA colour reversal film emulsions, the X100 expands the scope of photo expression with Monochrome Mode that can be fine-tuned with R/Ye/G filter settings.
- Separate adjustment of shadow tones and highlight tones lets users reproduce the rich tonality of high-contrast subjects.
- Capturing the scene in RAW format is easy just at the press of the RAW Button on the back of the camera. Then whilst on the way to the next shooting location, users can use the built-in RAW Development function to "develop" the RAW data in-camera, and enjoy Fujifilm's original "image creation" according to the camera's image quality settings.
- The X100 offers users the choice between the 49-point auto EVF focus area or the 25-point OVF auto focus area as well as the selection of 5 different focus area sizes in EVF mode. Dependent on the needs of each scene, the X100 offers easy “focusing by design”.
- HD Movie lets users capture the action in 720p high-definition detail. Just like shooting still photos, users can shoot movies with aperture-priority AE and enjoy a soft, defocused background effect. Also, the built-in HDMI port allows users to easily and directly connect the X100 to high-definition TVs to display stills and movies with plug-and-play ease.
- With a built-in Motion Panorama function, it is easy to capture 180° and 120° panoramic photos. Later, users can print the results as pin-sharp A3-size enlargements and share the enjoyment of high-quality panoramic photography.
- The X100 also features 4 types of bracketing functions: AE, ISO, Dynamic Range and Film Simulation. With just one click of the shutter, you capture 3 bracketed images of the scene so the moment never escapes you!
To perfectly complement the look and premium quality feel of the X100 camera body, a retro leather "quick shot" case with matching strap has been designed to fit the X100 like a glove. Made out of luxurious leather it has been thought out with uncompromising attention to detail, ensuring the ultimate ease of use and practicality
Lens Hood and Adapter Ring
Precision milled from metal, the lens hood and adapter ring will be available as a set. The adapter ring is also compatible with commercially sold 49mm filters.
EF-20 (Guide Number:20) and EF-42 (Guide Number:42) will be newly added to the TTL flash line-up.
For more information please visit the Fujifilm website.