Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Fujifilm have announced the release of two new firmware updates for the Fujifilm X-Pro1 and X-E1 compact system cameras, one on 25th June and a further one on 23rd July. The upgrades will provide improved AF performance for all Fujinon XF lenses and, amongst other benefits, will add a ‘Focus Peak Highlight’ function for manual focusing.
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Ver.2.05, Fujifilm X-E1 Ver.1.06 (25th June firmware update)
- Additional functionality to improve “one-handed” camera operation - A ‘Focus Frame Selection’ option has been added to the ‘Fn (function) button. This offers easier/quicker operation when setting the Focus Frame Selection using only your right hand. A second ‘Fn’ button can be allocated. This enables you to allocate a function to the selector “down” button. The default setting is ‘Focus Frame Selection’ but this can be changed to whatever suits your shooting style.
- Enable aperture control for lenses without aperture rings (XF 27mm f/2.8 / XC 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS). If you are using either of these lenses which do not feature aperture ring, this firmware update allows you to adjust the aperture setting by using the command dial.
- Improvement of AF speed. Improves AF speed on all existing XF lenses, thanks to the updated algorithm throughout the full range of focal length. Lenses covered; XF 14mm f/2.8 R, XF 18mm f/2 R, XF 35mm f/1.4 R, XF 60mm f/2.4 R Macro and XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM OIS (the AF Speed on the XF 55-200mm f/3.5-4.8 R MS OIS lens has been already optimised. For all lenses other than the XF 55-200mm f/3.5-4.8 R MS OIS, the firmware for each lens must be also updated.
- Focus Peak Highlight function for manual focusing - A ‘Focus Peak Highlight’ function, which features on the X100S and X20 cameras, can be added via this firmware update. It assists accurate and sensitive manual focusing by enhancing the outline of your subject in high contrast.
- Improvement in ‘Checking Focus’ operation: how to change magnification ratio in manual focusing. The process to check focus by selecting manual focus magnification has improved. Just press and rotate the dial right or left and the camera will alternate magnification between 3x and then 10x , whichever way you continue to turn it.