The D70 camera delivers Nikon's patented digital and photographic performance, high resolution, sharp detail and accurate, vivid colour combined with a new level of advanced functions and automated operation.
Continuing the heritage of hallmark Nikon digital performance established with the launch of the D1 and successful introduction of the Nikon DX Format in1999, the D70 stands ready to expand the digital SLR camera market. Designed for a broad range of customers, from novices to serious and experienced photo enthusiasts, the D70 allows photographers to easily adopt digital technology into their existing camera system, or to begin building a system that will bring ongoing enjoyment in the future.
The D70 employs the popular Nikon DX Format sensor and Nikon F lens mount design. This maintains seamless compatibility with all AF Nikkor lenses while allowing photographers to take full advantage of high quality DX Nikkor lenses, designed exclusively for Nikon's D-series digital SLR cameras and optimised to achieve outstanding centre-to-edge-to-corner image quality. Developed concurrently as a perfect match for daily use with the D70 and compatible with all Nikon D-Series SLR models, the new AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED combines top performance and outstanding value.
The D70 is ready to use the instant it is turned on. The 5-area autofocus system is fast and precise, and includes an AF-assist illuminator to help maximize performance even in dark shooting conditions. It can shoot a rapid 3 frames per second for a continuous burst of 144 pictures (when using JPEG NORMAL - Large settings, and a SanDisk SDCHF256MB CompactFlash(tm) card) thanks to improved buffer memory handling, faster image processing, increased memory card access speed and greater system bus bandwidth.
Controls are located for easy access and smooth operation. Menus are presented clearly and in plain language on the large LCD monitor. All the camera's systems have been optimised to deliver quick response. And, innovative new shooting options have been added to simplify the photographic process, whether controlled manually or via advanced automatic operation. Nikon's seven new automated Digital Vari-Program selections accessed from the new Mode dial offer a combination of personal control and powerful automatic operation that helps achieve great results under even the most complex shooting conditions.
Shutter speeds of 30 to 1/8,000 sec. ensure full creative control. The built-in auto pop-up flash can synchronize at shutter speeds of up to 1/500 sec. for great fill flash effects. Sensitivity can be set between ISO 200 to 1600 or controlled automatically across the same range of settings to maximize available light.
A new 6.1 effective megapixel Nikon DX Format CCD image sensor featuring wider dynamic range and a higher signal to noise ratio produces 3,008 x 2,000-pixel images with high resolution and superbly sharp details suited for making large prints, or for cropping for creative detail.
The D70's advanced System LSI processor is programmed for next generation performance to produce the finest in vivid colours and clarity, while maximizing the speed of file compression, memory buffer handling, simultaneous recording of JPEG and NEF (Nikon Electronic Format) files, and near-instant LCD image display.
Nikon's acclaimed 3D Colour Matrix Meter with 1,005-pixel sensor assures accurate auto TTL white balance. Six different manual white balance modes, preset white balance, and white balance bracketing are also available for full creative control. Exposure compensation and flash exposure compensation combine with auto exposure bracketing to further aid in achieving the perfect shot.
The rechargeable high-energy EN-EL3 lithium-ion battery that earned high acclaim in the D100 delivers the power to shoot up to 2,000 images(1) on a single charge. The D70 also comes with a battery holder, which lets you use disposable batteries as well, should the need or desire arise.
Diverse playback options, versatile custom settings, a USB interface for easy connectivity or direct printing to any PictBridge compatible printer, and a bevy of other features packed into the lightest and most compact Nikon digital SLR camera to date make the D70 the best performing camera in its class.
The estimated retail price of the D70 body is £799.99 The estimated RRP for the D70 Kit is £999.99 The camera will be available from April / March
Major Features of the Nikon D70
Accurate and vivid colour
- 6.1 effective megapixels
- New Nikon DX Format CCD imaging sensor features an improved signal to noise ratio and broader dynamic range that produces 3,008 x 2,000-pixel images with high resolution and superbly sharp details.
- New advanced digital image processor uses next-generation algorithms to handle all steps of digital image processing and optimize image quality, while also controlling auto white balance, auto tone and colour control, as well as real-time processes to diminish digital noise and produce beautiful long exposure shots.
- Accurate white balance achieved by Nikon's acclaimed 3D Colour Matrix Meter with 1,005-pixel for highly precise control over white balance regardless of lighting conditions. Choose from auto TTL white balance, six different manual modes, or preset white balance. White balance bracketing is also available
High Performance and Quick Response
- Continuous shooting at 3 frames per second for a continuous burst of up to 144 pictures (using JPEG NORMAL - Large settings, and a SanDisk SDCHF256MB CompactFlash(tm) card) thanks to improved buffer memory handling, faster image processing, increased memory card access speed and greater system bus bandwidth. The number of continuous shots possible in a single burst may be fewer depending on the type of CF card used.
- Ultra-short shutter time lag is hardly noticeable and unrivalled in its class.
- Immediate power-up has the D70 ready to take pictures before your finger can reach the shutter button.
- High performance System LSI uses next-generation programming to greatly increase the speed of all processing and writing operations. This includes vastly improved recording times for compressed NEF (Nikon Electronic Format) files, the inclusion of a simultaneous NEF + JPEG file save setting, and real-time processes that diminish digital noise in long exposure shots.
- High-speed, high precision 5-area AF system with predictive focus tracking and Lock-on(tm) ensures quick response and sharp focus, while an AF-assist illuminator helps ensure top performance in dark situations.
- Fast shutter speed with a range from 30 to 1/8,000 sec. for full creative control.
- Fast flash sync shutter speeds up to 1/500 sec. available for great fill-effects under brighter light conditions.
- Fast recording that supports FAT 16 and FAT 32 formats, along with Lexar WA (Write Acceleration) technology for greater speed and larger storage options.
Optimised and Predictable Results
- Seven New Automated Digital Vari-Program selections easily accessed from the new Mode Dial deliver automatic operation that optimises white balance, sharpening, tone, colour, saturation and hue for crisp and vivid results that match the intended shot. Selections include Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Night Portrait, and Night Landscape.
- Image enhancement options optimise sharpening, contrast, tone, colour, saturation and hue while using Auto Multi Program [P], Shutter-Priority Auto [S], [Aperture-Priority Auto A], or [Manual M] exposure modes to best match the scene or intended use for the picture. The easy to set choices include Normal, Vivid, Sharp, Soft, Direct print, Landscape or Custom optimisation • Flexible sensitivity control from ISO 200 to 1600 to match most any lighting condition; can be set manually or be controlled automatically by the D70.
- Optimised exposure with a choice of three TTL exposure modes, including Nikon's acclaimed 3D Colour Matrix Meter with 1,005-pixel RGB Sensor, variable Centre-Weighted Meter and choice of Spot Meters.
- Auto exposure bracketing helps you achieve the exact results you desire.
- Nikon's built-in iTTL automatic balanced Fill-Flash can shoot at synchronized speeds up to 1/500 second for great fill effects when shooting in brighter lighting conditions.
- Flash exposure compensation.
- New Generation Colour Reproduction System offers a choice of three-colour modes to ensure the best match for the shot when operating the camera manually.
Mode Ia: Renders natural-looking skin tones out of the camera. (sRGB) Mode II: Realizes a wider colour range suited for processing or retouching. (Adobe RGB) Mode IIIa: Renders vivid landscape and flora colours out of the camera. (sRGB) • New JPEG and NEF Combination Filing System enables simultaneous recording of NEF (RAW) and JPEG data for the same shot to optimise and accelerate workflow.
Intuitive and Familiar Operation for Easy Shooting
- Light and compact:
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 140 x 111 x 78 mm/5.5 x 4.4 x 3.1 in).
- Weight; Approx. 595 g (1.3 lbs) without battery.
- Intuitive and familiar operation with ergonomically designed and sensibly located buttons and controls, including the new Mode dial and handy Multi selector.
- Main and Sub command dials for easy control over settings and smooth single-handed operation.
- Quality optical viewfinder features high magnification, diopter correction, complete info display, and On-Demand grid lines to aid in composition.
- Depth of Field preview button aids composition accuracy.
- Large LCD monitor with user-friendly menus located directly below the viewfinder displays bigger menu fonts and icons that use familiar keywords for ease of understanding. A protective clear LCD cover is also included with the D70.
- Versatile LCD playback options include Single frame, Thumbnail (4 or 9 segments), Zoom playback (up to 4.7x), Slide show, Histogram indication, and Highlight point displays with automatic image rotation for vertical shots.
- LCD control panel on camera top for easy confirmation of settings and camera status.
- Proven lithium-ion battery system delivers the power to shoot up to 2,000 images* on a single charge. The supplied rechargeable EN-EL3 lithium-ion battery combines lightweight with high-energy capacity, and is free of "memory effect", so can be recharged at any time. * 2,000 images per charge achieved under following test conditions:
Fully charged EN-EL3 battery; temperature of 20°C (68°F); Zoom-Nikkor AF-S DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G SG IF ED lens (VR off); continuous shooting mode; continuous-servo autofocus; image quality set to JPEG BASIC; image size set to Medium; shutter speed 1/250 sec.; shutter release pressed halfway for three seconds and focus cycled from infinity to minimum range three times with each shot; monitor turned on for five seconds after six shots and then turned off; cycle repeated once exposure meters have turned off.
- Compatible with disposable batteries for added flexibility, the D70 ships with a battery holder that allows it to be powered by three disposable CR2 batteries.
- 25 Custom Settings allow you to personalize the operation of your D70 to match your shooting style or the demands of different shooting conditions • Wireless remote control operation made available with optional ML-L3 (IR) remote control.
Advanced and Easy Image Handling
- Direct printing from the D70 to any PictBridge compatible printer using the supplied USB cable.
- Text input of to 36 alphanumeric characters can be entered in each image's EXIF header for identification.
- Video connector and supplied video cable makes it easy to display pictures on a TV directly from the camera.
Creative and Versatile System for Subtle Expression
- High-Quality Nikkor lenses: The unrivalled performance of AF, AF-S and DX Nikkor lenses expand creative possibilities to the maximum. Ranging from a 180° 10.5 mm f2.8 Fisheye through 600 mm Telephoto, this exclusive line-up of Zoom-Nikkor and fixed focal length lenses maximize the high performance of the D70.
New to the line-up is the AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED, a practical zoom lens designed to deliver top performance and outstanding value as a perfect match for daily use with the D70.
- Built-in auto pop-up flash features exclusive i-TTL flash control, fast 1/500 sec. flash sync shutter speed, and supports Nikon's Creative Lighting System for wireless control of remote SB-600 and SB-800 Speedlights.
- ISO flash shoe makes it easy to attach an SB-600 or SB-800 Speedlight directly to the camera.
- Integrated Nikon Software Solutions:
Nikon Capture 4.1 (optional) is a comprehensive image editing and remote camera control package that fully supports NEF* (RAW), TIFF and JPEG data. Among other features, the package offers Image Dust Off sensor dust and particle shade removal control; Digital DEE(tm) scene-specific automatic dodge and burn control; and transformation of shots from the AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED lens to ultra-wideangle images.
Nikon View is Nikon's versatile bundled software that simplifies and improves data transfer, as well as browsing and editing of image files. Nikon View introduces an entirely new intuitive user interface, and supports plug-in files for added function.
*NEF images taken with the D70 require Nikon Capture 4.1 or later.
|Type of Camera
||Single-lens reflex digital camera
||Nikon DX Format RGB CCD, 23.7 x 15.6 mm
|Image size (pixels)
||3008 x 2000 [L], 2240 x 1448 [M], 1504 x 1000 [S] Sensitivity ISO equivalency 200 to 1,600 (variable in 1/3 EV step), sensitivity can be extended by 1 or 2 steps beyond ISO 1,600
| Storage Media
||CompactFlash(tm) (CF) Card (Type I / II) and Microdrive(tm)
||Compressed NEF (RAW): 12-bit loss less compression, JPEG: JPEG baseline-compliant
||Exif 2,21, Compliant DCF 2.0 and DPOF
||Auto (TTL white-balance with 1,005 pixels RGB sensor), six manual modes with fine-tuning, preset white balance, white balance bracketing possible
||1.8-in., 130,000-dot, low-temperature polysilicon TFT LCD with brightness adjustment
||1 frame: Thumbnail (4 or 9 segments); Magnifying playback; Slide show; Histogram indication; Highlight point display; Auto image rotation Delete Function Card format, All frames delete, Selected frames delete
||NTSC and PAL Interface USB Text Input Up to 36 characters of alphanumeric text input is available with LCD monitor and multi-selector; stored in Exif header
1) DX Nikkor : All functions supported
2) Type G or D AF Nikkor : All functions supported
3) Micro Nikkor 85 mm F2.8D : All functions supported except autofocus and some exposure modes
4) Other AF Nikkor*2 : All functions supported except 3D colour matrix metering, i-TTL balanced fill-fl ash for digital SLR
5) AI-P Nikkor : All functions supported except 3D colour matrix metering, i-TTL balanced fill-flash for digital SLR, and autofocus
6) Non-CPU : Can be used in exposure mode M, but exposure meter does not function; electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster *1 IX Nikkor lenses can not be used; *2 Excluding lenses for F3AF
||Equivalent in 35 mm  format is approx. 1.5 times lens focal length Viewfinder Built-in diopter adjustment (-1.6 to +0.5 m-1)
||18 mm (at -1.0 m-1)
||Type B BriteView clear matte screen Mark II with superimposed focus brackets and On-Demand grid lines Viewfinder
||Approx. 0.75x with 50mm lens at infinity; -1.0 m-1
||TTL phase detection, Nikon Multi-CAM900 autofocus module; Detection range: EV -1 to +19 (ISO 100 equivalent, at normal temperature)
||1) Autofocus (AF): single-servo AF (AF-S); continuous servo AF (AF-C); predictive focus tracking automatically activated according to subject status
2) Manual focus (M)
||Can be selected from 5 focus areas
|AF Area Mode
||1) Single Area AF, 2) Dynamic Area AF, 3) Closest Subject Priority Dynamic Area AF Focus Lock Focus can be locked by pressing shutter-release button halfway (single-servo AF) or by pressing AE-L/AF-L button
|Exposure Metering System
||TTL full-aperture exposure metering system
(1) 3D colour matrix metering with 1,005-pixel RGB sensor
(2) Center-weighted: Weight of 75%(8mm circle) given to 6, 8, 10, or 13-mm circle in centre of frame, or weighting based on average of entire frame
(3) Spot: Meters 2.3mm circle (about 1% of frame) centred on active focus area
|Exposure Metering Range
||1) EV 0 to 20 (3D colour matrix or centre-weighted metering)
2) EV 3 to 20 (spot metering)
(ISO 100 equivalent, f/1.4 lens, 20 °C) Exposure Meter Coupling CPU coupling
||Digital Vari-program (Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Close up, Sports, Night landscape, Night portrait), programmed auto (P) with flexible program; shutter-priority auto (S); aperture priority auto (A); manual (M)
||±5 EV in increments of 1/3 or 1/2 EV
|Auto Exposure Lock
||Luminosity locked at detected value with AE-L/AF-L button Auto Exposure Bracketing Two or three frames ±2EV in 1/3 or 1/2 steps Shooting Modes
1) Single frame shooting (S) mode
2) Continuous shooting (C) mode: approx. 3 frame per second (up to 12 consecutive shots with JPEG format, 4 shot with RAW format)
3) Self-timer/remote control mode.
||Combined mechanical and CCD electronic shutter, 30 to 1/8000 s in steps of 1/3 or 1/2 EV, bulb Sync Contact X-contact only; flash synchronization at up to 1/500 s
||1) TTL : TTL flash control by 1,005 pixel RGB sensor • Built-in Speedlight: i-TTL balanced fill-flash or standard i-TTL flash (spot metering or mode dial set to M) • SB-800 or 600: i-TTL balanced fill-flash or standard i-TTL flash (spot metering)
2) Auto aperture: Available with SB-800 and 600 with CPU lens 3) Non-TTL Auto: Available with Speedlights such as SB-800, 80DX, 28DX, 28, 27, and 22s 4) Range-priority manual available with SB-800 and 600
|Flash Sync Mode
||1) Front-Curtain Sync (normal sync), 2) Red-Eye Reduction,
3) Red-Eye Reduction with Slow Sync, 4) Slow Sync, 5) Rear-Curtain Sync Built-in Speedlight Auto flash with auto pop-up [P], [S], [A], [M]: manual pop-up with button release Auto flash with auto pop-up Guide number (ISO 200/ISO 100, m): approx. 15/11 (manual full 17/12)
||-3 to +1 EV in increments of 1/3 or 1/2EV Ready-light Lights when SB-series Speedlight such as 800, 600, 80DX, 28DX, 50DX, 28, 27, or 22s is fully charged; blinks for 3 s after flash is fired at full output
||Standard ISO hot-shoe contact with safety lock provided
||Electronically controlled timer with 2 to 20 s duration
|Depth of Field Preview Button
||When CPU lens is attached, lens aperture can be stopped down to value selected by user (A and M modes) or value selected by camera (Digital Vari-Program, P, and S modes)
||ML-L3 wireless remote (option)
||One rechargeable Nikon EN-EL3 Li-ion battery • Three CR2 lithium batteries (with supplied MS-D70 battery holder) • EH-5 AC adapter (Optional)
||1/4 in. (ISO1222)
|Dimensions (W x H x D)
||Approx. 140 x 111 x 78mm (5.5 x 4.4 x 3.1 in.)
|Weight (without battery)
||Approx. 595g (1 lb 5 oz) without battery, memory card, body cap, or monitor cover
|Supplied Accessories (may differ in each country or area)
||Strap, Body cap, Eyepiece cap, LCD monitor cover, Video cable, USB cable, Rechargeable Li-ion battery EN-EL3, Quick Charger MH-18, Nikon Software CD-ROM, MS-D70 CR2 battery holder Optional Accessories Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL3, Multi Charger MH-19, Quick Charger MH-18, AC Adapter EH-5, Speedlight SB-800/600, Nikon Capture 4 Software, Semi-soft Case CF-D70, Remote Controller ML-L3, Right-Angle Viewing Attachment DR-6, CompactFlash(tm) Card