Hello! are delighted to announce the launch of our inaugural Young Photographers Award as part of our 20th Anniversary celebrations this year.
Our award is open to photography students between the ages of 18 to 30 years, and has been devised and developed in conjunction with Nikon and Getty Images Gallery.
Launched on 7th May 1988, Hello! was the first celebrity magazine in the UK and is often credited with single-handedly creating the celebrity magazine market, and has remained a dominant force in an increasingly competitive and fast-moving sector.
Synonymous with glamour, style and sophistication, Hello! is passionate about photography, and this is reflected in the quality of our award-winning photo shoots.
In celebrating our milestone anniversary, it seems entirely fitting to offer aspiring young photographers the chance to showcase their work and to win that critical first commission. Demand for quality photographic work has never been greater as our culture becomes increasingly dominated by visual imagery.
Judging the Award will be a panel of top photographers, comprising Lorenzo Agius, Mike Daines, Dave Hogan, Penny Lancaster Stewart, Terry O’Neill, Christopher Simon Sykes, Aidan Sullivan, John Swannell, Mark Thompson and former Hello! editor Ronnie Whelan.
The categories for the competition are as follows:
- At home/interiors: An at home/location shoot that conveys the subject's personality.
- Reportage: An open brief to tell a news/feature story, capturing intimate, enlightening and powerful moments.
- Weddings and Celebrations: A well-lit and original study that captures the essence of a special day, whether a wedding, birthday or other milestone event.
- Babies and Parenthood: An intimate and unique study of babies up to 12 months, highlighting the interaction between baby and parent(s).
- Fashion: Hello! is glamour and style! The challenge here is to produce images that reflect the very essence of individual style.
There will be a winner and a runner-up in each of the five categories. An overall winner and runner-up will then be decided by the judges. The winner will be the entrant whose photograph in the opinion of the judges demonstrates the greatest flair, technique and originality. The judges may also, at their discretion, nominate highly commended entries.
The winner will receive £5000 and have a commissioned shoot published in Hello! magazine. The runner-up will receive £2500 and have a two day internship with a leading Getty Images photographer in the area of his/her choice i.e. news, sport, entertainment or creative photography. In addition all the category winners will receive a Nikon D40 kit, and the category runners-up will each receive a Nikon Coolpix P60.
The judges will present the prizes at an exhibition of the winning entries at Getty Images Gallery at the end of September 2008.
How to enter:
To submit your work please visit the Hello! Magazine website. The closing date for entries is at noon on Friday 27th June 2008.