Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Scanners get Real - A brace of scanners from HP feature new Real Life Technologies to convert film and slides into 96-bit true-to-life digital images.
HP today announced a breakthrough in photo restoration with the first ever six-colour, 96-bit scanners, giving you the chance to turn all your treasured photos, slides and film into detailed, fully restored digital copies.
The HP Scanjet G4010 and HP Scanjet G4050 photo scanners feature new HP technology that splits the image into six colours – red, orange, yellow, green, cyan and blue – creating a richer, truer image than industry-standard three-colour scanners.
Each of the six colours is sampled at 16 bits per pixel, resulting in startling detailed 96-bit images with a market-leading top resolution of 4800 x 9600 dpi.
This innovation means you can easily convert precious photos, film and slides into beautiful, true-to-life copies and top-quality reprints. Using HP Real Life Technologies you can easily correct flaws such red eye, restore faded colour and bring out the detail in dark corners using Adaptive Lighting.
For those needing to retain quality detail at high resolutions, HP Adaptive Sharpening is an algorithm developed by HP Labs, and new to the HP Scanjet G4010 and G4050. Previously, the sharpening algorithm would only take into account the sharpness of the scanner. Now, the algorithm also takes into account the resolution of the scan, which makes notable sharpness improvements when scanning at high resolutions.
Hardware dust and scratch removal
Restoring damaged photos, film and slides can usually only be done by professionals, but the HP Scanjet G4010 and G4050 scanners are true photo restoration scanners.
The scanners come with advanced dust and scratch removal built into the hardware, so that defects are automatically eliminated before the images are even created. The technology works by scanning in two passes, one with the standard lamp (CCFL) on to collect information about the image, one with an IR LED which creates a map of areas that are defects (dust/scratches), which are then removed. Special algorithms are used to recreate the information that has been cleaned, so images look as good as new.
True flexibility for all your image formats
Both scanners are optimised to scan legacy Kodachrome slides – the standard for slide film developed by Kodak in 1916-1930 – as well as Ektachrome film developed in 1958, a feature only usually found in high-end scanners.
In addition, the HP Photosmart G4050 photo scanner features a full-bed Transparent Materials Adapter (TMA) for scanning film, the ability to scan sixteen 35mm slides and thirty 35mm negative frames plus two medium-format film frames and one 10x13cm (4x5-inch) film frame. Four simple buttons - Scan, Scan Film, Copy, Scan to PDF - automate simple tasks on both scanners.
Key Features and Benefits
* Superior 6-colour/96-bit scanning and 4800 x 9600 dpi resolution.
* Restore old or damaged photos, slides and negatives that have been handed down for generations with HP Real Life technologies.
* The HP Scanjet G4010 takes five 35 mm slides or six negative frames at once, using a built-in TMA. The HP Scanjet G4050 effortlessly scans stacks of film, using a built-in adapter that holds up to sixteen 35mm slides or thirty 35mm negative frames at once.
* Quickly and easily scan up to four 10x15-cm (4 x 6-inch) photos, and automatically save them as individual files – no need to crop and resize.
* Produce high-quality scans of various paper sizes and 3-D objects with a letter-size, portrait-oriented scanning bed and adjustable lid.
* With four front-panel task buttons, quickly and easily scan, make reprints, copy documents and save images to PDF at the touch of a button.
* Conveniently organise, edit, share and save scans in one click with HP Photosmart software and HP Photosmart Share.
* The HP Scanjet G4010 and G4050 are optimised to scan legacy Kodachrome and Ektachrome slide film.
* Support for Windows Vista will be added in 2007 after Vista becomes available.
* Save energy - Energy Star ’07 compliant.
Pricing and Availability
HP Scanjet G4010 - estimated street price of £129 including VAT.
HP Scanjet G4050 - estimated street price of £199 including VAT.
Expected to be available for purchase in December 2006 in the UK