Jessops Brand Bought by Peter Jones

Jessops Brand Bought by Peter Jones - Dragons' Den star Peter Jones has bought collapsed high street chain Jessops.

Category : Industry News

Jessops logo

Collapsed high street chain Jessops has been bought by entrepreneur Peter Jones, to run as an online company.

The Dragons' Den star has bought the brand Jessops, but the deal is not thought to include any of the 187 stores that closed.

PwC confirmed that they have "sold the brand and certain other assets to a number of buyers including entrepreneur Peter Jones CBE."

Jessops had struggled since 2007, when it was hit hard by a boom in mobile phone camera usage and more people buying cameras from online companies. It is hoped that by moving online, Jessops will be able to compete better in the marketplace.

Comments

simmybear 8 32
1 Feb 2013 3:40PM
Well that should cover the administrators fees, at least they won't lose out !

It seems ironic to me that a "brand" that falls from grace leaving so many disgruntled unsecured creditors can rise so Phoenix like from the ashes all "squeaky clean and shiny new" such a short time later and expect people to trust it.

I understand technically and legally why its possible just my personal morality that is affronted.

chrissp26 10 39 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2013 4:20PM
My hopes of getting back the 100 worth of jessops vouchers that I got from family for Christmas is gone for good then.

Good bye jessops I shall not buy from you again in your new form until you can prove to me that you are worthy of my business. As far as I'm concerned you still owe me 100 regardless as to who owns you.
NeilS e2
7 828 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2013 5:42PM
Regretably I suspect that your vouchers are Nil and Void

However if I were taking the name over, it would be to set up a slick internet only, non grey provider/operation that simply undercut the rest of the market on almost all products, a bit like as I seem to recall, Warehouse Express operated many years ago

A quick look at Camperapricebuster for many products will often indicate that an Amazon provider is the cheapest option, and I suspect that many folks are put off by it being an unknown name/warranty provider, any newcomer would need to overcome that and the Jessops name re launched could be an ideal opportunity for a starter, however they would survive or not by feed back, and therefore customer service would need to be good and more importantly consistent

Once established and sucessful, then I would either sell off or list on USM
icphoto 13 1.1k England
3 Feb 2013 12:09PM
I think that it will take more than Peter Jones to make the Jessops name hold water again. In my opinion the last bunch of Muppets that were in charge damaged the company name too much. The name is damaged and beyond repair, and should be burried along with the rest of the company and debts!!!!Sad
mufftrix 2 3 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2013 11:26PM
Afraid once consumer trust is gone it game over imo?

No matter what name fronts it would you buy a 2K camera body off them or someone that hasn't gone bust once already?

It may be a way of shifting there own brand junk perhaps but I really can't see this going anywhere?
timtoyou 2 22 England
4 Feb 2013 1:58PM
re Voucher nul and void ,got given one for christmas and thought bugger thats that out the window but low and behold those angels from barclaycard have redeemed payment to lovely friend who gave voucher and swopped it for amazon one,must admit though will always prefer walking into shop and handing over payment for exchange of goods