Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Jessops High Street Stores Reopen

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Category: Industry News

Six Jessops Stores Reopen Today - The doors at 6 Jessops stores reopen today, with further stores to open throughout April.

Posted:
Print Article Add Comment Add CommentJargon Buster: Off Jargon Buster: Off
Jessops logo
Dragons' Den entrepreneur Peter Jones CBE will launch six Jessops stores today, Thursday 28 March 2013, with up to 30 more to follow throughout April.

Peter Jones will assume the role of Chairman and Chief executive, following a £4m investment in revitalising Jessops stores, with flagship outlets including Oxford Street and Birmingham, the largest photographic imaging store in Europe.

The move comes as a boost to British retail, and will create up to 500 jobs, with Jessops forecasting sales of over £80m in year 1.

Peter Jones CBE said: "Britain's high street is fighting back - the facts show it, and I am giving my personal commitment to its resurgence by re-opening the doors of one of Britain’s most historic retailers.

I'm taking the helm as Chairman and Chief Executive because I believe Jessops is an iconic British brand which can lead the retail resurgence on Britain's high streets, powered by new innovations and world-leading, expert staff.

Image is everything, and even in the mobile and tablet era, there’s no substitute for a quality camera when it comes to taking the perfect picture. Jessops' hallmark expertise and customer service will now be available again to customers across the UK.

I'm convinced the great British public will get behind Jessops and look forward to welcoming the first new customers through our doors on Thursday."

Update: London (Oxford Street) and Birmingham stores have opened today, and Manchester, Aberdeen, St. Albans and High Wycombe will open over the course of the Easter Weekend.

Datacolor Introduces SpyderHD

New Datacolor Calibration Suite

Datacolor introduces a new top-of-the-line calibration suite...

JVCKENWOOD Declares Support For Micro Four Thirds Standard

JVCKENWOOD Join Micro Four Thirds Standard

JVCKENWOOD corporation has declared support for the Micro Fo...

Mary Ellen Mark To Receive Outstanding Contribution To Photography Award

Mary Ellen Mark To Be Awarded At SWPA 2014

Mary Ellen Mark is to be honoured at the Sony World Photogra...

Comments

RoyChilds
RoyChilds e2 Member 653 forum postsRoyChilds vcard England
28 Mar 2013 - 8:09 AM

Yes very good but what about my worthless vouchers !!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
28 Mar 2013 - 8:26 AM

paulcookphotography

Quote: Yes very good but what about my worthless vouchers !!

They were even more worthless when Jessops stopped trading. Give them a little time to sort themselves out

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53469 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
28 Mar 2013 - 10:10 AM

Good Luck to the new team - its nice to see the Name continue.

chrisheathcote
chrisheathcote e2 Member 7237 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
28 Mar 2013 - 12:37 PM

Im curious to find out where the 30 stores will be located.

sdhughes
sdhughes  1089 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Mar 2013 - 12:50 PM

Good on yer Peter. I hope it is a great success!

nik111
nik111 ePHOTOzine Staff 6311 forum postsnik111 vcard United Kingdom
28 Mar 2013 - 12:58 PM

Quote: Im curious to find out where the 30 stores will be located.

Quote: Yes very good but what about my worthless vouchers !!

I'm currently trying to find out if you can use your vouchers in store.

patkelly
patkelly  5 Ireland
28 Mar 2013 - 2:15 PM

Yes, good news, I hope Mr. Jones sets up a new training school for his staff.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96097 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
28 Mar 2013 - 2:40 PM

Quote: We know where the first six will be now: London (Oxford Street), Birmingham, Manchester, Aberdeen, St. Albans and High Wycombe.

Nothing in West Sussex, so that is good news for my local camera shop, who recently appointed the former Jessops boss as it's Chairman !

justwilliam
justwilliam e2 Member 2justwilliam vcard United Kingdom
28 Mar 2013 - 3:12 PM

I hope that the first job opportunities are given to former employees.
Hats off to Peter Jones, for his valiant efforts...

steve_p
steve_p  81073 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Mar 2013 - 4:04 PM

I have always been a supporter of Jessops, , however I called into Birmingham to have a look. Not a lot has changed.high prices on Memory cards and many gaps on the display. Hope that changes. The store wasn't over busy.
I enquired about using my gift card. The answer was yes I could use it against a Tecnno bag or photo printing ,but nothing else - surely that's not legally correct is it?

maroondah
maroondah  10239 forum posts Australia1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Mar 2013 - 4:29 PM

I'm glad they are starting to re-open stores but worry that they will not be able to compete against the internet. I wish them well and will do my best to support them but I have a limited budget and cost is a big player when I make a photographic purchase. Well done to Peter Jones and his backers for their efforts and I hope it all goes well.

chensuriashi
chensuriashi e2 Member 7129 forum postschensuriashi vcard England17 Constructive Critique Points
28 Mar 2013 - 7:54 PM

Blackpool Jessops was always busy and the staff so very helpful I supported them for years hope that they reopen here soon. Chen.

MrGoatsmilk
28 Mar 2013 - 9:59 PM

Lets hope they keep up this time otherwise it will be goodbye yet again and I hate goodbyes

Jesus_Quintana
28 Mar 2013 - 11:53 PM

Quote:

I'm guessing it is legal Steve. As far as I can see, Jessops is a brand new company so they don't need to honour any gift vouchers. I'd snap their hands off and use them asap. I say fair do's to Peter/Jessops for accepting these vouchers because yesterday, it was just a piece of scrap paper in your drawer.

I hope he succeeds (and opens a Leicester store as one of the 30!!!).

chrisnorris
29 Mar 2013 - 3:02 PM

anyone know where the Manchester store will be

nickthompson
29 Mar 2013 - 10:27 PM

Went past the Oxford St branch today and it was quite busy.

pablophotographer

Pity that nobody saved Jacobs...
Good to see actual stores re-opening on the high street.

meyeview
meyeview e2 Member 4374 forum postsmeyeview vcard Scotland
30 Mar 2013 - 9:59 AM

I have just visited the 'new' jessops website. what a total and utter anti climax. most of the stock I want is not available for delivery and my nearest store (4hours away) is in Aberdeen. it does not look like the prices have changed either. somehow I don't think that I will be buying any gift vouchers.
the old saying 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' seems to have passed peter jones by. unfortunately it was broke and still needs fixing.
maybe I am being to quick to judge?
I hope so.Sad

riddell
riddell  958 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Apr 2013 - 3:12 PM

This is good news. Professional photographers need a network of stores we can rely on to rush into to buy equipment when its suddenly needed for whatever reason.

Paul.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

skidzy
skidzy  4
18 Jun 2013 - 8:32 PM

Ive just come across this thread and was wondering if my vouchers will be honoured.
Bought as a Christmas present for me from the children who all contributed there pocket money......

Ipswich has reopened its store......... now will they honour the vouchers ?

Im not interested in hearing stories of this and that, truth is - Jessops knew they were going under but still they took monies from unsuspecting customers.

You take money off people in the street..... you go to prison !
Jessops takes monies off people in the street and they reopen and trade with no real punishment.

Fair play to Mr Jones in giving the high street store another go... can it succeed, time will tell.

- Original Poster Comments