Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
2009 Master Photographer of the Year announced - Kris Dickson has been awarded the coveted title of UK Master Photographer of the Year 2009.
During the Master Photography Awards in Newcastle, Kris Dickson was awarded UK Master Photographer of the Year for 2009 as well as awards in various other categories. As well as Kris, many other photographers were presented with awards during the night in many different categories.
The Awards are run by the Master Photographers Association (MPA). A packed audience of professional photographers and trade representatives attended the prestigious event held at the Gatsehead Hilton on the banks of the River Tyne. Dozens of the world's top photographers were presented with major accolades.
Kris, based in Coleraine, County Londonderry already has a host of awards to his name and has quickly gathered a reputation as being one of the brightest young stars of modern photography. His victory this year follows a similar triumph at the 2006 Awards.
It was a great night for Kris - in addition to the main prize of the evening, he was awarded firsts in the following categories: UK Fashion and Beauty, the Mario Acerboni Northern Ireland Award and the overall Mario Acerboni Award. He was also crowned UK Fashion & Press Photographer of the Year.
Qualified MPA members from around the world submitted images for the annual competition and only the very best were short-listed. MPA Chief executive, Colin Buck was delighted with this year's entries and paid tribute to Kris's success, "There was a great diversity of imagery, and all were judged on the same criteria - artistic merit, good use of lighting, composition and print quality - all the winners were of a very high overall standard. Winning the Master Photographer of the Year title is a huge honour and I'm sure Kris will be delighted with his new accolade. He's proving himself to be one of the top photographers of this millennium."
He continued, "The Master Photography Awards are a showcase of everything that is great about today's professional photography - creativity, technical brilliance and a willingness to push the boundaries and show that our industry has a very bright and exciting future."
Jingna Zhang, from Singapore, was named Overseas Master Photographer of the Year 2009. She flew in from a fashion shoot in New York to collect her Oskar.
The other awards presented at the event were:
- UK Parent & Child - Clare Louise
- UK Portrait - Lisa Visser
- UK Family Portrait - Hossain Mahdavi
- David Mathias Portrait - David Armour
- UK Under 5's - Lisa Visser
- UK Pets - Chris Astbury
- UK Wedding - Philippa Double
- Dennis Hylander Wedding - David Bryce
- UK Commercial/Advertising - Ian Pickering
- UK Landscapes/Pictorial/Illustrative - Roy McKeown
- UK Industrial/Architectural - Chris Astbury
- UK Travel - Neil Horne
- UK Press/PR/Stock - David Kilpatrick
- UK Events - Chris Martin
- UK Portrait Photographer of the Year - Lisa Visser
- UK Wedding Photographer of the Year - David Bryce
- UK Commercial Photographer of the Year - Ian Pickering
- You and Your Wedding Magazine, 'Bride's Choice' - Paul Maddison
- Cosmopolitan Bride Magazine, 'Bride & Groom' - Ewen Forsyth
- Cherubs - Chris Astbury
- David Facey Memorial Award - Christopher Bradbury
- Open Category - Lynsey Thompson
- Silver Imaging Award - Dennis Hylander
- Epson Award - Christopher Bradbury
- Licentiate Competition - Manuel Thome and Steve Ramsden
- Overall Winner - Kris Dickson
- Runners Up - Ian Pickering and Gary Roebuck
- Overseas Portrait - Jingna Zhang
- Overseas Wedding - Stephen Loh
- Overseas Commercial/Advertising - Costas Kyriakides
- Overseas Landscapes/Pictorial/Illustrative - Stu Williamson
- Overseas Industrial & Architectural - Albert Lam
- Overseas Travel - William Chua
- Overseas Press/PR/Stock - Ryan Wong Teck Yan
- Overseas Fashion & Beauty - Jingna Zhang
- Overseas Portrait Photographer of the Year - Jingna Zhang
- Overseas Wedding Photographer of the Year - Stephen Loh
- Overseas Commercial Photographer of the Year - Costas Kyriakides
- Overseas Fashion & Press Photographer of the Year - Jingna Zhang