Minolta say the DiMAGE Scan Elite II is easy to use for beginners while being a powerful imaging device for advanced amateurs and professionals. Using technologies from the DiMAGE Scan Multi PRO, the Elite II provides 16bit A/D conversion and a dynamic range of 4.8 to reproduce gradations and details not only in the mid-tones, but also in the highlights and shadows. Transferring the huge image files to the computer should be quick and easy with the supplied USB or IEEE1394 (FireWire) cable. Removing image defects can be acheived with Applied Science Fiction's Digital ICE3 technology that minimises surface defects, restores colour and reduces grain. Main Features
- Powerful A/D conversion and wide dynamic range is
useful for obtaining high quality scans. The 16-bit input can handle 65,536
gradations per colour channel, 16 times greater than its predecessor's
performance. The 4.8 dynamic range ensures highlight and shadow details are
retained. The 16-bit output preserves the details of the original scan.
- The optical scanning resolution of 2,820 dpi allows
photographers' to reproduce a film image into fine quality printouts. The
Elite II can produce an image from 35mm film that can be printed on A4 size
paper with a resolution of 300 dpi; more than enough quality for family albums
and promotional business materials.
- The DiMAGE Scan Elite II's reproduction performance
with negative film is advanced over its predecessor. The Elite II
automatically adjusts to the density range of the scanned negative to optimise
the reproduction. For example, negatives with a large density range, such as
pictures with backlit subjects, are controlled so that highlight areas retain
detail rather than being washed out. Colour images with a dominant colour are
analysed to preserve the original appearance of the scene.
- Advanced colour matching ensures that the colours in
the scanned image are very close to the original film. In combination with
photo retouching applications featuring colour management systems, scanned
images should retain virtually the same colours when used with different
monitors and operating systems. This is essential for fine colour control.
- Multi sample scanning delivers virtually noise free
images, giving smooth, natural results. 2, 4, 8, or 16 samples can be taken.
Multi sample scans reduce random noise by averaging the sampled images.
- The DiMAGE Scan Elite II is one of a few desktop film scanners in its class to provide Digital ICE3 (Digital ICE Cubed). Digital ICE3 is a combination of three sophisticated digital enhancement tools from Applied Science Fiction: Digital ICE (Image Correction & Enhancement), Digital ROC (Reconstruction of Colour), and Digital GEM (Grain Equalization and Management). Digital ICE3 saves time and money by producing professional quality images without resorting to time consuming digital retouching
Designed for novices and advanced users, the DiMAGE Scan Elite II driver software offers flexible scanning control. Minolta Easy Scan Utility automates most scanning procedures for first time users. Advanced image manipulation can be achieved with a variety of focusing and image correction functions. All driver software is user friendly and provides a well organised, simple graphic user interface; tab partitions and graphic function buttons allow for quick, easy access.
Designed especially for the novices, the Minolta Easy Scan Utility makes it fast and simple to scan photos. Users simply follow the instructions appearing in windows to complete the scanning procedure. Image data is tailored to match its final application. For example, the scanner will control the file size if the image is to be sent to a friend via e-mail.
Availability and pricing
The Scan Elite II is available from October for 550.