Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
New lens from Nikon - Nikon have announces the release of the AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens.
Nikon UK are pleased to announce the introduction of the AF-S DX-Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens featuring built-in Silent Wave Motor and Vibration Reduction II. The new high-power zoom DX-Nikkor lens boasts a focal length range of 16 to 85mm, which makes it ideal for a broad range of shooting situations, including parties and other indoor events as well as building, portrait and scenery shots. When mounted on any DX-format Nikon digital SLR camera, the picture angle is equivalent to that produced by a 24 to 127.5mm focal length lens on a 35mm film or Nikon FX-format camera.
An ultra-compact Silent Wave Motor (SWM) built into the lens body ensures fast, quiet autofocus operation and complements the compact, lightweight design for superb handling. With dimensions of only Ø72 x 85 mm/Ø2.8 x 3.4 in., this new lens is easy to handle and carry.
Vibration Reduction II incorporated in the lens gives photographers the ability to shoot at shutter speeds up to four stops slower than would otherwise be possible, thereby minimizing image blur caused by camera shake. This enables dramatically sharper hand-held shooting at dusk or at night, or even in poorly lit interiors. Nikon’s VR function is incorporated in the lens, providing a stable viewfinder image, which ultimately makes framing and composing a scene far more comfortable and accurate.
The new high-performance optical system has been optimised for digital SLRs, with two ED glass elements and three a-spherical lenses that deliver higher resolution, high-contrast images while minimising chromatic aberration. Nikon’s Super Integrated Coating ensures outstanding colour balance and reproduction while greatly reducing ghosting and flare. The rounded 7-blade diaphragm opening gives out-of-focus background elements a more natural appearance. The lens offers a short closest focus distance of 0.38 m/1.3 ft. throughout the entire zoom range.
The AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, a significant addition to the DX-Nikkor lens line-up, is certain to become a favourite of photographers who seek a high-power zoom that covers a wide-angle range with superior portability.
Notes: DX-Nikkor lenses are engineered and optimised for use on Nikon DX-format and FX-format digital SLR cameras. When mounted on an FX-format digital SLR, the camera’s DX-Crop Mode is automatically engaged, altering the image capture area accordingly. DX-Nikkor lenses are not compatible with 35mm  or IX240 [APS] format film cameras.
- 5.3x zoom lens covering a wide focal range of 16 to 85mm (picture angle is equivalent to focal length of 24 to 127.5mm in Nikon FX or 35mm format)
- Vibration Reduction II enables sharper pictures while shooting at shutter speeds up to four stops slower than would otherwise be possible
- Optical design optimised for superior performance with Nikon digital SLRs
- ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements minimise chromatic aberration while providing higher resolution and superior contrast
- Three a-spherical lens elements minimise various types of lens aberration
- High-performance Nikon Super Integrated Coating achieves superior colour reproduction while substantially reducing ghosting and flare
- Nikon’s exclusive Silent Wave Motor ensures fast, quiet autofocus operation
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm opening makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural
- 0.38 m/1.3 ft. closest focus distance throughout the entire zoom range
- Accepts 67 mm filter attachments
The Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens will be available from February 2008 at a RRP of £429.99. For more information please visit the Nikon website.