Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Nikon launch entry level lens - Nikon have announces a high-specification lens for consumer DSLRs
Nikon have added a new member to its renowned family of Nikkor lenses with the introduction of the AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR, a general-purpose lens developed specifically to cater for users of entry-level digital SLR cameras.
The compact, lightweight affordable lens incorporates a Silent Wave Motor for fast autofocus and Vibration Reduction for enhanced low-light performance. The versatile 3x zoom lens covers the widely-used and popular focal range of 27mm to 82.5mm when mounted on any DX-format Nikon digital SLR camera.
Nikon’s own VR (Vibration Reduction) system minimizes the image blur caused by camera shake, stabilising the image to allow shutter speeds of up to three stops slower than would be possible without VR (as determined in Nikon tests). The lens also enables dramatically sharper hand-held shooting in low light conditions..A further major advantage of VR, when incorporated in the camera lens, is that it produces a stable viewfinder image. This makes the process of framing and composition more accurate and less tiring.
In line with Nikon’s unrelenting drive to achieve superior optical performance, Nikon’s developers set strict, new engineering standards for the new lens, seeking to achieve greater overall resolution. The result is a newly-developed optical system that has been optimised for use with Nikon DX-format digital SLR cameras. The lens incorporates a hybrid aspherical element to minimize distortion and Nikon's Super Integrated Coating to ensure outstanding colour balance and reproduction with reduced ghosting.
Other features have been added to bring professional-grade performance to the enthusiast photographer. These include a compact Silent Wave Motor (SWM) that delivers fast, quiet autofocus operation and a seven-blade rounded diaphragm opening for rich, natural-looking out-of-focus backgrounds. Furthermore, the lens boasts a short closest-focus distance of 0.28 m/0.9 ft. throughout the entire zoom range.
With compact dimensions of Ø73 x 79.5 mm and a low weight of approx. 265 g, this new lens is easy to handle and carry.
The Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR has been created to cater for the needs of the many digital SLR camera users wanting maximum performance with a wide range of applications.
- 3x zoom lens covering the most frequently used focal range of 18 to 55mm (the picture angle is equivalent to a lens with focal length from 27 to 82.5mm in FX/35mm format)
- VR operation enables use of shutter speeds expected from lenses that are up to three stops faster.
- Superior-performance optical system that is specially designed for use with the Nikon digital SLRs
- Hybrid aspherical lens element eliminates various types of lens aberration
- High-performance Nikon Super Integrated Coating offers superior colour reproduction, while minimizing ghosting and flare
- Nikon’s exclusive Silent Wave Motor ensures fast, quiet autofocus operation
- Rounded diaphragm opening (seven blades) makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural
- Closest focusing distance of 0.28 m/0.9 ft., throughout the entire zoom range
- Filter attachment size of 52 mm
- Lens barrel features comfortable holding, rugged construction; zoom and focusing rings provide smooth operation
- Focal length: 18-55 mm
- Maximum aperture: f/3.5-5.6
- Minimum aperture: f/22-36
- Lens construction: 11 elements in 8 groups (with one aspherical lens element)
- Picture angle: 76° - 28°50’
- Closest focus distance: 0.28 m/0.9 ft. (throughout the entire zoom range)
- Maximum reproduction ratio: 0.31x
- No. of diaphragm blades: 7 (rounded)
- Filter/attachment size: 52mm
- Focusing: Autofocus with built-in SWM and manual focus
- Diameter x length: Approx. 73 x 79.5 mm/2.9 x 3.1 in. (extension from lens mount)
- Weight: Approx. 265 g/9.3 oz.
- Supplied accessories: 52mm snap-on front lens cap LC-52
- Optional accessories: 52mm screw-in filters, rear lens cap LF-1, flexible lens pouch CL-0815, Bayonet Hood HB-45
The AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens is available at a RRP of £179.99. For more information about Nikon’s award winning products please visit their website.