Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Nikon announce Coolpix 2100 and 3100 digital cameras - The new Nikon Coolpix 2100 is a compact, lightweight digital still camera with 2.0 effective megapixels and a 3x zoom lens. Also available is the Coolpix 3100 with a 3.2 megapixel CCD.
Featuring a 3x optical Zoom-Nikkor lens and 4x digital zoom, the COOLPIX 2100 provides excellent optical performance. Coupled with their image-processing algorithm, Nikon say this ensures vibrant color, contrast and clarity in every picture. The cameras 2.0 effective megapixels offer remarkable resolution in printouts up to A4 size.
Shooting is simplified by general-use AUTO Mode and 14 Scene Modes, four of which offer a Scene Assistance function for perfectly composed pictures, which allow users to capture the essence of every situation and fully experience the fun of digital photography. The COOLPIX 2100 also features Continuous Shooting Mode and four Movie Modes, including one capable of recording a clip as large as 640 x480 pixels. Users can take up to 15 seconds of smaller-size video in color, B/W or sepia. In Macro Mode, the camera can shoot as close as 4cm (1.6 in.) from a subject and still get sharply focused shots.
The Small Picture function creates reduced-size pictures that are perfect for e-mailing or Web posting, while the Date imprinting function allows users to date a picture at the time of shooting. Image effects such as B/W, sepia and halo filters extend users creative options.
The Quick Review button allows images to be viewed right away on the LCD monitor while maintaining live-action viewing. The Transfer function simplifies uploading image data to a computer.
A sister model, the COOLPIX 3100, with 3.2 effective megapixels, will be released in tandem with the COOLPIX 2100.
Nikon COOLPIX 2100 Feature Highlights
The 3x optical Zoom-Nikkor lens, offering a focal range of 4.7-14.1mm (equivalent to 36-108mm in 35mm  format), and 2.0 million effective pixels combine to create sharp images. The COOLPIX 2100s compact, lightweight design enables go-anywhere portability.
14 Scene Modes and Scene Assistance function
The general-purpose Auto Mode and 14 Scene Modes offer all users extraordinary flexibility and creative leeway. Just select the mode appropriate to the scene, and the COOLPIX 2100 will handle all the adjustments automatically. Four of the Scene Modes have a Scene Assistance function that optimizes picture composition through a fast, easy process. There are four Movie Modes (without audio), including one that can record clips as large as 640 x 480 pixels and one that makes 320 x 240-pixel clips. Movies can be color, B/W or sepia, and can be as long as 15 seconds.
Versatile Image editing
The Photo trim function allows users to crop an unwanted portion of any picture while its still in the camera. The Date Imprint function dates the photo right when its taken. Image filters (B/W, sepia and halo) can be used to make pictures even more interesting.
Transfer images from the camera to a computer with a single touch of a button, and share pictures with family and friends faster using e-mail or a web site. Press the PLAY button once for hassle-free switching between viewing stored images and the active shooting mode.
Nikon View software
The supplied Nikon view software allows users to browse uploaded images in thumbnail format (for a comprehensive view) or in an enlarged format (for closer inspection). The software also allows users to adjust color balance, change the size of images for e-mailing or web posting, run a slide show of selected images, print images directly and eliminate red eyes with the touch of a button.
Nikon COOLPIX 2100 Major Features
- 3x optical Zoom Digital Camera featuring 2.0 effective megapixels
- 2.0 effective megapixels for 1,600 x 1,200-pixel images
- 3x optical Zoom-Nikkor lens with 4.7-14.1mm coverage (equivalent to 36-108mm in 35mm  camera format); digital zoom up to 4x magnification (12x when combined with optical zoom)
- Nikons advanced image-processing algorithm ensures faithful color reproduction
- Macro shooting capability as close as 4cm (1.6 in.)
- Simple buttons and interface enable easy operation, even for first-time digital users
- AUTO Mode for point-and-shoot operation
- 14 Scene Modes including four with Scene Assistance function -- Scene Modes with Scene Assistance function (Portrait, Landscape, Sports, Night portrait); Other Scene Modes (Party/Indoor, Beach/Snow, Sunset, Dusk/Dawn, Night landscape, Closeup, Museum, Fireworks show, Copy and Back light)
- Four Movie Modes, including movie clips as large as 640 x 480 pixels, or smaller clips in color, B/W or sepia up to 15 seconds long
- Quick Review allows users to view captured images at the press of a button, even while the camera is in shooting mode
- Transfer function enables fast upload of selected COOLPIX 2100 image data to a computer via a USB connection
- Small Picture function creates smaller size-image data for e-mail attachments and web applications
- Date Imprint function adds the date to a picture at the time of shooting
- Image filters, including B/W, sepia and halo
- Versatile White Balance settings
- Automatic Noise Reduction function for superior images at slow shutter speeds
- Plug-and-play USB interface for smooth connection to a computer
- 1.5-in., 75,000-dot TFT LCD monitor with brightness adjustment
- Long battery life of approx. 120 min. with two Rechargeable Ni-MH Batteries EN-MH1
- Comes with Strap, CF Card, USB cable, Video cable, two Rechargeable Ni-MH Batteries EN-MH1, Battery Charger MH-70*, Nikon View CD-ROM
- AC Adapter EH-61, Camera Case CS-CP14, and various CF Cards are available as an option
- Supports Exif 2.2 (Exif Print)