Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Nikon CoolPix 5700 joins the range at the top - A 8x zoom and advanced features make the CoolPix 5700 stand out from the rest of the range. Using an Electronic Viewfinder and a five megapixel sensor it will appeal to many digital enthusiasts. It is available from July for just under 1000.
The Nikon CoolPix 5700 joins the CoolPix range at the very top. It features a five megapixel sensor and a 8.9-71.2mm ED lens (equivelant to 35-280mm in 35mm format). Sharing some styling traits of the already announced CoolPix 5000 it also uses a magnesium alloy body.
It differs quite dramatically from the CoolPix 5000 by using an EVF (Electronic ViewFinder) but retains the same useful Vari-angle LCD monitor. Another new feature is the ability to store your photos as a RAW image (NEF format).
As well as a flash accessory shoe for external Nikon Speedlights the camera incorporates an auto pop-up Speedlight. Focusing is provided by a 5-area Multi Autofocus and noise reduction is possible for low-light shots.
Optional extras include a 1.5x telephoto converter lens, 28mm wideangle converter and a battery pack that incorporates a second shutter button.
For more detailed information the full press release is included below.
A robust compact, lightweight, digital still camera with resolution of 5.0 effective megapixels, the COOLPIX 5700 joins the COOLPIX 5000 at the top of the Nikon COOLPIX digital still camera line-up.
The COOLPIX 5700 is expected to appeal to advanced amateurs, digital enthusiasts and semi-professional photographers who require an extended zoom range and SLR-type features. However, it's also simple and easy enough for a beginner to use. Its compact and lightweight design make it convenient and very portable.
A newly-developed Zoom-Nikkor lens delivers an exceptional 8x focal range of 8.9-71.2mm (equivalent to 35-280mm in 35mm  format). Optical optical performance is assured by inclusion of two ED (Extra-low Dispersion) lens elements. The high quality optics are paired with a 5.0 effective megapixel sensor to ensures images of remarkable color, contrast and clarity.
The use of magnesium (Mg) alloy in the body construction and rubber grip ensures that Coolpix 5700 handles with the confidence and strength of Nikon's professional models and a 3 fps shutter further closes the gap between pro and consumer performance.
The ultimate in viewfinder capability is provided by a choice of either the Vari-angle LCD monitor or the new EVF (Electronic ViewFinder), both offering great frame coverage and total convenience in every shooting position.
Traditional photographic features such as 5-area Multi Autofocus and a full complement of exposure metering settings are combined with purely digital features such as 30 fps multi-shot, noise reduction for low-light and auto white balance bracketing, providing the best of both worlds.
For pleasing portraiture work the COOLPIX 5700 incorporates an auto pop-up Speedlight, and also features an accessory shoe, enabling the use of an external Nikon Speedlight when creative demands call for a more sophisticated flash configuration.
Multiple file formats can be selected, including an all-new RAW image (NEF format) recording mode for unparalleled image quality, and movies with audio for up to 60 seconds. The COOLPIX 5700 also has a built-in speaker, making instant confirmation playback of movies possible.
The COOLPIX 5700 is compatible with a broad range of Nikon essential accessories. The optional 28mm wideangle converter lens and 1.5x telephoto converter lens allow the capability of the ED-glass lens to be extended beyond the 8x zoom range .
The optional battery pack, powered by LR6/AA-size alkaline batteries incorporates a second shutter button for portrait/vertical position shooting.
The new viewer software, Nikon View 5 (supplied) allows the captured images taken to be viewed on computer, and the optional Nikon Capture 3, previously only available for use with the professional D series digital SLRs, provides optimal adjustment the wide tonal range of RAW format (NEF format) images.
As standard, a rechargeable battery and charger*, CompactFlash(tm) Card, USB cable, video cable will be included and the potential of the Coolpix 5700 can be enhanced by the optional system accessories such as Wideangle and Telephoto converters, Nikon Speedlights, and a hood to increase LCD monitor visibility when shooting in daylight.
With so many advanced features and accessories, the COOLPIX 5700 blends photographic experience with image quality in a robust, versatile format.
Nikon COOLPIX 5700 Feature Highlights
Powerful new 8x optical
The new lens' focal range of 8.9~71.2mm (equivalent to 35-280mm in 35mm  format) allows a wide range of picture taking opportunites from wideangles to super-telephoto images, plus macro performance in the telephoto zoom range. The lens features two ED (Extra-low Dispersion) lens elements that minimize chromatic aberration, for crisp, clear shots - even up close. And for even greater magnification, the COOLPIX 5700 offers 4x digital zoom capability taking the focal length to approx. 1,132 mm equivalent.
5.0 effective megapixels + image-processing algorithm =
In order to ensure image quality the Coolpix 5700 incorporates a 2/3-inch type CCD, which combines with the 8x Zoom-Nikkor lens to deliver super-sharp, 5.0-megapixel images at 2,560 x 1,920 pixels. Nikon's proprietary image-processing algorithm enables accelerated processing and, along with the 12-bit A/D input, ensures faithful color reproduction with the smooth gradation of film. Prints of these breathtaking images hold up well beyond A3 (297 x 420mm) size.
User-friendly hi-tech features
Despite its sophisticated specification and cutting edge technology, the Coolpix 5700 incorporates many simple to use features. The Electronic ViewFinder (EVF) provides enhanced frame coverage and a bright preview, and the Vari-angle LCD makes shooting easy regardless of the camera position. Both present images almost instantly. When ambient light is insufficient, the intelligent built-in Speedlight automatically pops up. Checking results is instantaneous with the Quick Review button, and the plug-and-play USB interface propels pictures to your computer, where they can be organised using the supplied software. The compact, tough, ergonomically designed magnesium (Mg)-alloy body ensures comfort, control and traditional Nikon reliability.
The COOLPIX 5700 offers an array of innovative digital features. Versatile exposure and in-camera image controls inspire creativity while shooting. Whether you need instant JPEG images or pure RAW image (NEF format) data, the supplied Nikon View 5 or optional Nikon Capture 3 software maximize the potential of your results with image management and editing tools dedicated to the needs of the digital photographer. Creative potential is further enhanced by fully integrated accessories, including powerful Nikon Speedlights and converter lenses to extend focal range.
Nikon COOLPIX 5700 Major Features
- 8x Zoom Digital Camera
featuring 5.0 effective megapixels
- 5.0 effective megapixels for 2,560 x 1,920-pixel images
- Newly designed 8x Zoom-Nikkor lens with 8.9-71.2mm coverage (equivalent to 35-280mm in 35mm  format); digital zoom up to 4x magnification (32x when combined with optical zoom)
- Nikon's advanced image-processing algorithm ensures faithful color reproduction
- Exclusive 256-segment Matrix Metering and Matrix Auto White Balance ensure outstanding exposure and white balance control
- Macro shooting down to 3cm (1.2 in.); macro shooting down to 50cm (19.7 in.) at full telephoto 280mm (35mm  format) also possible; convenient Best Shot Selector (BSS) function also available
- Durable, professional-grade magnesium (Mg)-alloy body combines refined ergonomics with a compact size
- Electronic ViewFinder (EVF) for bright accurate through-the-lens frame coverage; Vari-angle LCD for total convenience in every shooting position; both deliver images almost instantly
- Shutter speeds from 1/4,000 to 8 sec.
- Versatile white balance settings and White Balance Bracketing
- Saturation control (4 steps and Black & White) enables in-camera color modification for direct printing
- Noise Reduction mode for long-time exposures
- Clear Image mode for ultra-smooth color gradation at image sizes up to 1,280 x 960 pixels (SXGA size)
- Multiple capture modes,
including Continuous shooting of up to 3 frames per second in full size and Ultra
High-speed Continuous shooting of up to 30 fps at 320 x 240 pixels (QVGA size)
- RAW image (NEF format) data recording mode for increased image quality and enhanced post-processing potential
- Movies with audio (up to 60 sec.) and a built-in speaker for confirmation playback
- Quick Review button to check any image while in record mode (both captured photos and your current subject are displayed in the LCD monitor); pressing the shutter release button once reactivates record mode
- Built-in Speedlight automatically pops up when light is low or a subject is backlit; camera also features ISO 518 accessory shoe to accommodate external Speedlight attachment
- Plug-and-play USB 1.1 interface for connection to a computer
- Easy-to-use Nikon View 5 software for seamless transfer and easy management of images on a wide range of Operating systems
- Optional Nikon Capture 3 - the highest performance image and control software from a camera manufacturer offers dedicated imaging tools, including RAW data processing, aimed at the needs of the photographer
- Full line of system accessories (optional) including a new 28mm (35mm  format) wideangle converter lens and a 1.5x telephoto converter lens, along with a battery pack that uses six 1.5V LR6 ("AA"-size alkaline) batteries and enables easier vertical shooting
Nikon COOLPIX 5700 Specifications
Type Digital camera E5700
Effective pixels 5.0 million
CCD 2/3-in. type (5.24 million total pixels)
Image size 2560 (2,560 x 1,920) , 1600 (1,600 x 1,200), 1280 (1,280 x 960), 1024 (1,024 x 768), 640 (640 x 480), 3:2 (2,560 x 1,704) selectable
Lens 8x Zoom-Nikkor; f=8.9~71.2mm (equivalent to 35-280mm in 35mm  format) /F2.8~4.2 with macro; 14 elements in 10 groups; all elements are made of environmentally friendly glass; Nikon Super Integrated Coating (SIC) applied; two glass molded ED lens elements included
Digital zoom Up to 4x
Autofocus Contrast-detect TTL AF; 5-Area Multi AF or Spot AF
Focus modes 1) Continuous AF mode (when using LCD monitor), 2) Single AF mode (when not using LCD monitor and/or selectable from shooting menu), 3) Manual (64 steps from 3cm [1.2 in.] to infinity (?) with Focus Confirmation Indication
Focus range 50cm (19.7 in.) to infinity (?); 3cm (1.2 in.) to infinity (?) in Macro mode
Viewfinder 180,000-dot Electronic viewfinder (EVF); Diopter adjustment: -4 ~ +1m-1; Frame coverage: Approx. 97% (Through, Freeze), 100% (Play)
LCD monitor 1.5-in., 110,000-dot, Low-temp. polysilicon TFT LCD (LED backlight); Brightness/hue adjustment; Frame coverage: Approx. 97% (Through, Freeze), 100% (Play)
Storage System: Exif 2.2 file (uncompressed TIFF and RAW or compressed JPEG) Design rule for Camera File system (DCF), Digital Print Order Format (DPOF), QuickTime Motion JPEG (Movie)
Media: CF Card Type I/II, 512MB/1GB Microdrive(tm) Card
* Use TTL Cord SC-17 with SB-29/27/23
** 1.5V Lithium, 1.2V NiMH, or 1.2V NiCd batteries can also be used.
It will be available in the UK from July, for around £999.99.