Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Nikon Coolpix 8400 is unveiled - A high-quality compact digital camera combining 8.0 effective megapixel performance with a versatile 24-85mm (35mm equivalent) zoom capability.
With a 24-85mm (35mm equivalent) zoom range the Coolpix 8400 offers exceptional wide-angle zoom capability and macro shooting from as close as 3cm (1.2 inches). Packing an impressive 8.0 megapixels, the Coolpix 8400 has the ability to produce images with amazingly high resolution. Furthermore, printing can be carried out without the need for a PC as the camera offers the direct print convenience of PictBridge. The Coolpix 8400 is also a system camera, offering a variety of optional lens converters and other accessories.
Fast autofocus makes it easy to capture unexpected moments and the lightweight, high-strength magnesium body enables simple handling in all situations. The addition of a 134,000-dot Vari-Angle TFT LCD monitor makes it easy to compose shots from above the head, from the waist or other imaginative angles. The Coolpix 8400 is both simple to hold and visually attractive due to its Nikon D-SLR-consistent design created by industrial designer Giorgetto Giugiaro.
Nikon's exclusive D-Lighting, which can be selected in Playback mode, automatically compensates for insufficient flash or excessive back lighting in order to obtain balanced exposure throughout the frame. Furthermore, the Coolpix 8400 feature's Nikon's proprietary Red-eye Reduction that automatically detects and corrects red eyes in-camera in most situations.
The Coolpix 8400 offers a selection of file formats for recording including compression-free recording which is available in the form of RAW (NEF) and HI (TIFF-RGB). There is also a selection of compression modes, comprising JPEG EXTRA (approx. 1/2) that offers a satisfying balance of quality and data efficiency, FINE (approx. 1/4), NORMAL (approx. 1/8) and BASIC (approx. 1/16).
At the smooth rate of 30fps the Coolpix 8400 is capable of recording TV-sized movies with audio and also offers a digital compensation function. The camera can easily be connected to a TV allowing you to share your home movies with incredible ease.
The Coolpix 8400 is the first camera from the Coolpix range to offer TTL flash capability when used with external SB-800 and SB-600 Speedlights. Another new feature is the auto colour enhancement which combines a plethora of high-end Nikon technologies which accurately record, assess and fine-tune the colours within images, achieving noticeably more attractive results.
The creative potential of the Coolpix 8400 can also be extended through combination with a selection of optionally available converter lenses, including wide-angle converter lenses and telephoto converter lenses, one of which the TC-E3PF uses a Phase Fresnel (PF) lens created using unique Nikon production technology. It offers 3x magnification, yet its dimensions and weight have been significantly reduced compared to a conventional telephoto converter of equal power. Indeed thanks to Nikon's unique PF technology, the new 3x telephoto converter lens has dimensions that really are pocket size.
The Coolpix 8400 is also USB compatible enabling easy data transfer to PC's. Additionally it comes complete with Nikon's PictureProject software. Enabling easy viewing, simple editing and a range of other features, PictureProject also has the ability to embrace new capabilities as quickly as Nikon makes them available.
The Coolpix 8400 is scheduled for release in October 2004
Superior image quality & responsive AF
The Coolpix 8400 boasts the exceptional versatility of a high-quality wide-angle 24-85mm Zoom-Nikkor ED glass lens (35mm equivalent), making it easier to capture expansive scenes and achieve more creative compositions in general. The camera also offers the imaging power of 8.0 effective megapixels, which translates into an exceptional level of detail. And as a direct result of Nikon advanced technology, the Coolpix 8400 also offers fast autofocus an advantage that makes it easy to capture unexpected moments with clarity.
Consistent with Nikon's acclaimed range of D-SLR cameras, the ergonomic design of the Coolpix 8400 makes the camera easy to hold and operate. All controls and buttons have been carefully placed to enable a sure grip through composition and shooting and the Coolpix 8400 has also been designed to offer swift response through easy operation and fast autofocus. Furthermore, it also features a versatile Vari-Angle 134,000-dot, 1.8-inch TFT LCD monitor that makes it easy to capture shots from unusual and imaginative angles.
Additional features for further convenience
With a choice of 15 handy Scene Modes, the Coolpix 8400 enables the user to quickly select the best possible camera settings based on the photographic situation (i.e. portraits, landscapes, sports, etc.). The Coolpix 8400 also has the ability to record movies with audio at a smooth rate of 30 fps. Furthermore, the Coolpix 8400 also comes with Nikon's renowned PictureProject software included, which offers a wide range of functions to bring more enjoyment to digital photography and also has the power to embrace new abilities as quickly as Nikon makes them available.
* Easy-to-carry dimensions, 113 x 82 x 75mm (4.4 x 3.2 x 3.0 in.) (W x H x D)
* A Magnesium body combines light weight with strength
* BSS (Best Shot Selector) and AE-BSS (Auto Exposure BSS) automatically selects and saves the best exposure from five sequential shots
* White Balance Bracketing takes three shots with a single release of the shutter producing one with normal white balance, one with a bluish cast and one with a reddish cast
* Histogram display enables exposure to be gauged with greater accuracy during shooting and playback
* Newly adopted JPEG EXTRA achieves 50% compression, maximizing image quality while minimizing data compression
* RAW (NEF) data recording extends the potential for image manipulation after shooting
* The AF-Assist Illuminator helps ensure sharp focus when shooting in low light conditions
* The Electronic viewfinder features easy diopter adjustment control
* USB 2.0 (Hi-Speed) compatibility enables swift transfer of image data to a PC
* Fast AF achieves sharp results when shooting unexpected occurrences; 9-area multi-AF available
* Macro shooting from as close as 3cm (1.2 inches) from a subject
* New Li-ion rechargeable battery EN-EL7 offers increased power capable of enabling the shooting of 260 images on a single charge
* Allows direct printing to PictBridge-compatible printers
* Compatible with the exclusive Nikon D-Lighting system
* Advanced Red-eye Reduction corrects red-eyes in camera automatically in most situations, without the need for a PC
* Continuous shooting capability offers selection of Single, 5 shot buffer, Continuous H, Continuous L, Multi-shot 16, Ultra HS, Interval timer shooting
* TTL flash capability when used with SB-800 and SB-600 Speedlights
* A range of accessories, including a handy battery pack, a selection of Coolpix filters (neutral colour, circular polarizing, neutral density) and converter lenses [fisheye, wideangle, and telephoto (TC-E3PF)]
Nikon Digital Camera COOLPIX 8400 Specifications
Type of camera Digital camera E8400
Effective pixels 8.0 million
CCD 2/3-inch type (total pixels: 8.31 million)
Image size (pixels) 8M (3,264 x 2,448), 3:2 (3,264 x 2,176), 5M (2,592 x 1,944), 3M (2,048 x 1,536), 2M (1,600 x 1,200), 1M (1,280 x 960), PC (1,024 x 768), TV (640 x 480) selectable
Lens 3.5x Zoom-Nikkor; 6.1-21.6mm [35mm (135) format equivalent to 24-85mm]; f/2.6-4.9; 10 elements in 7 groups; two glass molded ED lens elements included
Digital zoom Up to 4x
Autofocus Ranging AF using AF ranging sensor and contrast-detect TTL AF with AF-assist illuminator; Center, Auto 5-area multi AF, manual 9-area multi AF selectable
Focus modes 1) Continuous AF, 2) Single AF, 3) Manual Focus (from 3cm [1.2in.] to infinity (?) with focus confirmation indication)
Focus range 50cm (19.7 in.) to infinity (?); 3cm (1.2 in.) to infinity (?) (W), 20cm (7.9 in.) to infinity (?) (T) in macro and manual focus modes
Viewfinder 0.44-inch type, 235,000-dot, polysilicon TFT color LCD viewfinder; Diopter adjustment: -3 to +1m-1
LCD monitor 1.8-inch type, 134,000-dot High Transmissive Advanced TFT LCD monitor with brightness and hue adjustment; frame coverage: approx. 97% horizontal and vertical (shooting)
Storage Media: Type I and II CompactFlash (CF) and Microdrive cards
File system: Compliant with Design Rule for Camera File
System (DCF)*, Exif 2.2**, and Digital Print Order Format
(DPOF) File formats: RAW (NEF) and TIFF-RGB
(uncompressed), JPEG-baseline-compliant (1:2, 1:4, 1:8,
1:16) (compressed), QuickTime (movies), WAV (sound files)
*A standard widely used in the digital camera industry to ensure compatibility among different makes of camera.
**Exchangeable Image File Format for Digital Still Cameras. Version 2.2 allows information stored with pictures to be used for optimal color reproduction when images are output on Exif-compliant printers.
Price and Availability
The Coolpix 8400 will be available from Oct 2004 for 650.