Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
It's a-Life! - Nikon have announced the release of two low-priced, "Life", L-series digital compacts, for the casual photographer.
The Nikon CoolPix L11
Nikon is pleased to introduce three new L or “Life” Series cameras to the award winning COOLPIX family. Designed with the casual snap-shooter in mind, the Nikon COOLPIX L10 and L11 combine high-quality design and construction with user-friendly features at affordable prices. All three cameras sport a sharp 3x optical Zoom-Nikkor glass lens, a big, bright LCD and a lightweight, ultra-portable body style. Additionally, each of the new L series cameras boast impressive battery life, and a higher light sensitivity, which makes it easy to produce better pictures in low light situations.
“Nikon's new L-series cameras represent an exceptional value to the consumer, as they are full-featured, easy-to-use and affordable," says Bill Giordano, General Manager Marketing, COOLPIX for Nikon Inc. "With the introduction of these L-Series cameras, Nikon is making it extremely easy for consumers, who might be new to digital photography, to capture great pictures easily, right out of the box."
Designed for the entry-level digital photographer, the L10 and L11 boast 5.0 megapixels and 6.0 megapixels respectively, allowing the consumer to generate high-quality prints in a variety of sizes. Each camera features a sharp 3x Zoom- Nikkor glass lens, ensuring creative freedom and a high light sensitivity up to ISO800, which makes it easy to produce better pictures in low light situations. Both cameras feature large LCD monitors which facilitate the composition and sharing of images; the L10's LCD measures 2.0 inches across while the L11 has a 2.4-inch LCD, ample dimensions for easily viewing and sharing images with friends and family.
Memories Made Easy
In addition to the camera-specific features listed above, Nikon has incorporated user-friendly Imaging Innovations into the entire line of COOLPIX cameras, designed to ease the picture-taking process for the consumer. These can be easily located in the menu systems of the L10 and L11. These technologies, dubbed “Nikon In-Camera Innovations” include:
- In-Camera Red-Eye Fix: automatically detects and corrects red eye, a common condition that occurs in flash photography.
- Face-Priority AF: automatically finds and focuses on a persons face within the frame, providing sharp focus to produce clear, crisp portraits wherever the subject is positioned in the frame.
- D-Lighting: in playback mode, the user selects and creates a copy of images with excessive backlight or insufficient flash illumination, adding light and detail where necessary.
Additionally, the L Series cameras include handy features such as scene modes, which set the camera for optimum performance in a variety of shooting locations, and a TV Quality Movie Mode for recording video with sound.
The COOLPIX L10 and L11 feature a sleek, stylish finish and a curved grip that contributes to both design elegance and shooting stability. Adding to the cameras’ convenient portability, all of L-series models are AA-size battery and SDHC memory card compatible, with 7Mb of internal memory for the L10 and L12. Each camera is packaged with a complimentary copy of Nikon’s PictureProject Software, which makes it a snap to transfer, organize, edit, and share photos with family and friends.
- Effective pixels: L11: 6.0 million L10: 5.0 million Lens: 3x Zoom-Nikkor; 6.2-18.6mm (37.5-112.5mm equiv.); f/2.8-5.2; 6 elements in 5 groups
- Focus range: 40cm to infinity
- Macro mode: 15cm
- Monitor: L11: 2.4", 115,000-dot, TFT LCD. L10: 2.0", 153,000-dot, TFT LCD
- Storage media: Internal memory approx. 7Mb, SD memory cards
- Movie: With sound: TV movie (640*480) at 30fps/15fps
- ISO sensitivity: ISO64-800
- Built-in flash: Range: Wide-angle approx. 0.4-3.0m, telephoto approx. 0.4-2.5m
The COOLPIX L10 and L11 will be available in the USA beginning March 2007 at an MSRP of $119.95 and $149.95 respectively. The cameras are available in the UK at the end of February retailing at £129.99 for the L11. The price of the L10 is TBA.