Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Nikon Coolpix SQ Digital Camera details announced - Featuring a 3x optical Zoom-Nikkor lens and 4x digital zoom with a swivel design, it offers the flexibility and creative opportunities of free-angle picture taking.
According to Nikon, the square-shaped COOLPIX SQ is a 3-megapixel-class digital still camera that combines a visually compelling, stylish design with outstanding performance. It incorporates a swivel lens that is integral to its overall design statement and optical precision.
Featuring a 3x optical Zoom-Nikkor lens and 4x digital zoom with a swivel design, it offers the flexibility and creative opportunities of free-angle picture taking, including the ability to take self-portraits; it also contributes to the cameras compactness. The slim rechargeable battery provides up to 65 minutes of shooting power while helping enable the sleek profile of the full-metal casing.
In addition to fully automatic operation, the COOLPIX SQ has 15 versatile Scene Modes that capture great pictures in virtually any imaginable situation. Continuous Shooting mode offers rapid sequencing and Movie mode lets users record up to 40 seconds of video with audio. Users can also shoot as close as 4cm (1.6 in.) from their subjects without sacrificing clarity and crispness.
The COOLPIX SQ comes with the COOL-STATION MV-10, a cradle that serves as a multifunctional base of operations. The battery recharges while the camera rests in the cradle. Uploading images to a computer (via USB cable) requires only a single press of the cradles transfer button.
Many accessories accompany the COOLPIX SQ, including the compact rechargeable battery and a CompactFlash Card, a USB cable, and powerful Nikon View software.
With its cutting-edge design and array of advanced, yet easy-to-use, features, the COOLPIX SQ is an exciting addition to the COOLPIX lineup that will appeal to consumers who demand that sophisticated style doesnt preclude high performance.
Nikon COOLPIX SQ Feature Highlights
The COOLPIX SQ boasts a stylish design with a sleek square body and full-metal casing. Details such as a diamond-cut logo and aluminum lens ring contribute to the cameras sophisticated personality. The camera has a unique swivel lens design that gives users the flexibility to capture images from nearly any angle - including self-portraits.
Impressive image quality
The cameras 1/2.7-in. high-density CCD employs 3.1 effective megapixels to produce ultrahigh-definition 2,016 x 1,512-pixel images. Its 3x optical Zoom-Nikkor lens -- featuring a 5.6-16.8mm focal range (equivalent to 37-111mm in 35mm  camera format) -- and Nikons advanced image-processing algorithm ensure exceptional color and sharpness for great-looking images on screen, online and with prints as large as B4 size.
Convenient shooting modes provide ease and versatility
The general-purpose Auto mode and 15 Scene Modes make getting great shots easy. Just select the appropriate mode and the COOLPIX SQ will handle all the adjustments automatically. Movie mode can record clips as long as 40 seconds with audio.
Emphasizes a subject with natural skin tones against a soft, appealing background.
Captures the details of dimly lit scenes. The Speedlight fires automatically in low-light situations.
Fires the built-in Speedlight to illuminate the subject but keeps the shutter open long enough to capture the background.
Vividly captures the brightness of difficult-to-photograph settings such as snowy fields, beaches and sunlit expanses of water.
Captures distant scenes with exceptional sharpness and clarity.
Enables users to capture the natural beauty of sunsets.
Employs slow shutter speeds to capture stunning nightscapes
Produces clear indoor pictures without triggering the flash
Instantly responds to the shutter release button to capture fireworks at the ideal moment
Takes up-close pictures with an artistically blurred background
Renders clear black and white reproductions of text or drawings on a whiteboard or from printed matter
Speedlight fires automatically to illuminate shadows covering a subject
Uses a fast shutter speed to capture sharp, clear images that freeze the action
Catches the natural-light beauty of dimly lit or hazy situations, such as just before sunrise or after sunset
Allows you to take several side-by-side images, all at the same exposure and white balance setting, then combine them later using the supplied photo editing software to create spectacular wide-vista images
Cradle for easy charging and upload
The COOLPIX SQ comes with the Cradle COOL-STATION MV-10. The battery recharges while the camera is in the cradle. Uploading images to a computer (via USB cable) requires a single press of the cradles transfer button.
Nikon View software
With the supplied Nikon View software, users can browse uploaded images in thumbnail format, enlarge them and obtain shooting information. The software also allows users to adjust the color balance, change the image size for e-mailing or Web posting, run a slide show of selected images, make direct print-outs and eliminate red eyes with a touch of a button.
Nikon COOLPIX SQ Major Features
- 3x optical Zoom Digital Camera featuring 3.1 effective megapixels
- 3.1 effective megapixels for 2,016 x 1,512-pixel images
- 3x optical Zoom-Nikkor lens with 5.6-16.8mm coverage (equivalent to 37-111mm in 35mm  camera format); digital zoom up to 4x magnification (12x when combined with optical zoom)
- Newly developed overlapping Matrix Metering and Auto White Balance, and improved image-processing algorithm for accurate and vibrant color reproduction
- Fast operation: quick start-up, fast autofocus, shorter shutter release time lag, and shortened next-shot preparation
- Macro shooting capability as close as 4cm (1.6 in.)
- AUTO Mode for point-and-shoot operation
- 5-Area Multi Autofocus for easier photo composition
- 15 Scene Modes -- choose from 15 different customized settings (Portrait, Party/Indoor, Night Portrait, Beach/Snow, Landscape, Sunset, Night Landscape, Museum, Fireworks Show, Close Up, Copy, Back Light, Sports, Dusk/Dawn, and Panorama Assist)
- Transfer button (located on the cradle) for automatic uploading of selected COOLPIX SQ image data to a computer
- 5-mode manual White Balance with Fine Tuning, Preset and White Balance Bracketing
- Automatic Noise Reduction function for superior images at slow shutter speeds
- Easy charging with the Cradle COOL-STATION MV-10
- Plug-and-play USB interface for smooth connection to a computer (USB Mass Storage Class or PTP)
- Video/Audio output is available
- Bright, clear 1.5-in., 117,600-dot, low-temp. polysilicon TFT transflective LCD monitor
- Comes with Strap, Lens Cap, CF Card, USB cable, Audio/Video cable, Cradle COOL-STATION MV-10, Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL2*, AC Adapter EH-61*, Nikon View CD-ROM
- LCD Hood HL-CP10 and Camera Case CS-CP15 are available as options
- Supports Exif 2.2 (Exif Print) **
**"Exif Print" is the industrial term for Exif 2.2, which is a newly established standard for Digital Still Camera Image File Format.