Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
The rear view panel
Nikon is pleased to announce the D40x, a Digital SLR camera that embodies a wide range of innovative features in a compact, stylish design.
The new model boasts a 10.2Mp CCD image sensor that combines with Nikon’s exclusive 3D Colour Matrix Metering II and auto white balance to produce quality shots that capture the vivid detail and true colour of the subject matter. The D40x is equipped with the compact, lightweight 3x 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor lens to provide superb picture sharpness and optimum contrast. The new D40x is also compatible with the 55-200mm VR Zoom-Nikkor telephoto and is ideal for extending the focal range as the user develops their photography skills. The new lens is fitted with an ED glass element, making it easier to achieve images with higher resolution and high contrast. The Silent Wave Motor offers quiet and smooth auto focusing.
The Nikon D40x has a near instant power-up and a continuous shooting mode which allows the keen photographer to capture 100 jpeg images at three frames per second. The integrated auto focus ensures that shots are crisp and clear and Nikon’s innovative i-TTL flash control evaluates ideal flash exposure to ensure the image light is always correct, whatever the conditions. An additional ISO 100 setting extends the ISO range over the D40 giving photographers the flexibility to shoot in a variety of conditions at ease.
An ample 2.5in LCD screen means the budding photographer can view, manipulate and navigate their images with ease. Unique Nikon innovations make it possible to manipulate the images in-camera, allowing amateurs to achieve professional results. Nikon’s unique D-Lighting function improves areas of underexposure in images taken with too much back light by creating a copy of an image with added light and detail wherever necessary, leaving well-exposed areas untouched. Photographers are also able to fix red eye at the touch of a button or use the monochrome effect to produce a black and white image. Nikon’s exclusive PictureProject software makes it easy to edit, organise, transfer and share the high quality images. The camera comes complete with a longer-life battery.
For the creative photographer, Nikon’s user friendly scene-optimised Digital Vari-program modes helps the user to capture any scene with ease. The eight modes are designed to produce remarkable results by automatically calculating the best settings and ISO equivalent sensitivity for each scene.
- The most compact Nikon digital SLR ever, featuring intuitive controls and ergonomics designed for everyone
- A large 2.5in LCD monitor with easy-to-view menus, large fonts and careful colour schemes for easy preview and setting changes
- Bright and clear viewfinder with 0.8x magnification for precise composition
- Long-life rechargeable lithium-ion battery that allows up to 520 images* on a single charge (*CIPA standards)
- Handy images assist that helps photographers select the right camera settings
- Optional Wireless Remote Control ML-L3 for easy remote shutter release
- 10.2 effective megapixel Nikon DX Format CCD imaging sensor, producing 3,872 x 2,592 pixel images
- High-precision digital image processing algorithms for natural-looking pictures with faithful colour and tone reproduction
- Nikon 3D Colour Matrix Metering II for ideal exposures in almost any lighting condition
- Variable Centre-weighted metering and Spot metering centered on the active focus area
- Auto White Balance for natural colours, plus six different manual white balance settings and user-defined preset white balance
D40x Digital SLR camera RRP D40x and AF-S18-55mm DX lens: £599.99. Sales start date: 29th March 2007.