Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Nikon has announced the new Nikon D5100 Digital SLR, an update to the D5000, it improves in several areas, including most noticeably a new horizontal swivel screen, full HD video recording in H.264 MOV file format, new creative effects that work in still and video modes, and the 16.2 megapixel sensor from the Nikon D7000.
Read our Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Hands On Preview.
The Nikon D5100 will cost £669 body only, or £779 with 18-55mm VR kit lens, and should be available to buy on the 21st of April, along with a new Nikon ME-1 stereo microphone.
The New Nikon D5100: Unleash Your Creativity
London, UK, 5 April 2011: Nikon introduces a new D-SLR to its line-up, the D5100, which is packed with features to make shooting stills or full HD movies more exciting than ever. The D5100 will give you a new creative perspective thanks to its improved Vari-angle screen, special effects mode and full (1080p) HD Movie.
Jordi Brinkman, Product Manager for Nikon Europe, says: “The D5100 is a great camera that allows you to express your artistic side through impressive images and movies. You can shoot with creative effects and unique angles, all at the level of superior image quality seen in the D7000!”
Unique viewing anglesThe successor to the popular Nikon D5000, the D5100 features an improved Vari-angle LCD screen. The screen now opens horizontally for greater maneuverability, even when using a tripod. This freedom of movement adds unparalleled creativity when using Live View, allowing shooting from virtually any angle. You can also view pictures and movies in more detail on the high resolution (approximately 921k-dot), 7.5 cm (3-in.) wide-viewing angle monitor.
The Live View function is a simple and intuitive way of taking pictures and with the D5100’s dedicated switch it is even more straight-forward to operate. When using Auto mode you don’t even need to worry about the scene you are shooting, as Scene Auto Selector chooses the most appropriate settings to give you the best image.
Inspire your creativityThe D5100 has a newly introduced special effects mode to shoot amazingly unique pictures and full (1080p) HD movies. The range of seven effects include selective colour, where you select up to three colours to appear in the still or movie while other areas are monochrome, and miniature effect, which makes an image appear like a view of miniature scale. You can select which special effect to shoot in and they are directly accessible via the mode dial on the top of the camera.
Stunning HD movies
Nikon is also pleased to introduce an optional stereo microphone, the ME-1. Specifically designed for D-SLRs, it lets you record movie clips in high-quality stereo sound with no AF-noise.
Superior image quality
Nikon’s new High Dynamic Range (HDR) function and Active D-Lighting retain the detail when there are extreme contrasts in light. HDR takes two images at varying exposures in a single release, which are combined to produce a single image with a wider dynamic range.
Razor-sharp 11-point AutoFocus system:
Four AF-area modes, including 3D-tracking AF, keeps your main subject in focus even if the composition changes quickly in action scenes. This can be accompanied with continuous shooting up to 4 fps to really capture fast moving subjects.
Nikon D5100 DSLR Key features
• Live View with AF modes: Live View is a straight-forward way of taking pictures and AF modes keep the subject in focus
• Special effects mode: New to the D-SLR range, effects including selective colour and miniature effect for more creative expression when taking stills or movies
• DX-format, 16.2 megapixel CMOS image sensor with EXPEED 2: Inherited from the D7000 for exceptional quality even in poor lighting conditions
• High ISO (100-6400) extendable to Hi 2 (ISO 25600 equivalent): Keeps the detail with low noise in low-light situations
• D-Movie: Full (1080p) HD movies can be taken at up to 30fps. Simple edits can be made in-camera and movies can be watched on HDTV using the HDMI connectivity
• High dynamic range (HDR): Gives detailed shots of high-contrast scenes by combining two shots taken within a single shutter release
• Active D-Lighting: Retains details in highlights and shadows for well balanced images, even if the subject is moving
• Continuous shooting at 4fps: You will not miss that all important fast-moving action shot
• Retouch menu: Gives a range of post editing effects in-camera including movie edits and image resizing
• Picture controls: Lets you set the look and mood of your images before you shoot. Choose from six settings: Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Monochrome, Portrait and Landscape
• Scene modes: Automatically adjusts camera settings, including Picture Controls and Active D-Lighting, for optimal results. Sample photos appear on the display to help select the right mode
• Front and back infrared receivers: ensure maximum usability of the optional ML-L3 remote control when taking self portraits or close-ups
• GPS compatible: Records the exact location of the camera when a picture is taken by using the optional GP-1 unit
• Dual integrated dust reduction system: Image Sensor Cleaning and Airflow Control systems keep dust away from the camera’s image sensor for clear, spot-free images
• Stereo sound: Designed specifically for D-SLRs, Nikon’s optional Stereo Microphone, ME-1, lets you record movie clips in high-quality stereo sound, with no AF noise. Comes with windscreen and soft case accessories.
Read our Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Preview for full specifications.