Nikon UK is pleased to announce the D60, one of the smallest Nikon digital SLRs ever to be produced. Continuing the tradition of the smaller sized D40 and D40x, it allows novice photographers to take breathtaking pictures whilst offering plenty of features for those who want to develop a more creative shooting style.
The Nikon D60 is user-friendly, yet offers exclusive Nikon technologies that deliver high-quality pictures with vibrant colour and stunning, edge-to-edge detail. Such superior results are achieved through the use of a high-resolution image sensor utilising 10.2Mp, world-famous Nikkor lenses delivering razor-sharp pictures, and many more cutting-edge Nikon features to further enhance your picture-taking experience. Thanks to its split-second shutter response and quick start up, the D60 is ready to capture images when you are.
Nikon’s advanced 3D Colour Matrix Metering II ensures consistently balanced exposures for images with natural colour and contrast, while Nikon’s new digital image processing concept, Expeed, makes it possible to deliver smoother tones and more accurate colours. Nikon’s fast, quiet and precise autofocus system adds significantly to the performance of the D60, capturing exact moments with astounding clarity. Nikon’s dust reduction capabilities reduce the effects of dust particles that can accumulate near the imaging sensor, using Nikon’s innovative Image Sensor Cleaning function and exclusive Airflow Control System.
In addition to new dust reduction features, users can easily capture dynamic images by selecting the most suitable shooting mode with a simple turn of the mode dial. The Retouch Menu offers even more creative license, allowing the photographer to enhance images in-camera.
Compact and comfortable, the D60 offers amazing picture quality, simple operation, an Integrated Dust Reduction System for clearer pictures and an extensive selection of creative features. The result is fun, fantastic and inspired pictures. The world of stunning photography is just a step away, with the Nikon D60.
Superior image quality and resolution
The 10.2Mp D60 produces superb, high-quality images with incredible resolution, allowing the photographer to produce large prints, even with a cropped image. And thanks to Expeed, Nikon’s unique digital image processing concept, images will contain fine detail and smooth, natural tonal reproduction.
Integrated Dust Reduction System
The Airflow Control System used in the D60 leads air within the mirror box towards small ducts near the base, directing dust away from the image sensor. The Image Sensor Cleaning function also reduces dust accumulation near the sensor using vibrations, which activate automatically or whenever the user chooses. This team of dust reduction countermeasures lets the user switch lenses confidently, taking advantage of the extensive line-up of Nikkor interchangeable optics while worrying less about the effects of dust in the camera.
Active D-Lighting for smoother gradation
The D60’s new Active D-Lighting feature can adjust the look of the final image in-camera. This automatic process compensates for difficult lighting conditions and produces optimised exposures with rich, smooth detail.
Intuitive, simple operation within a compact body
The D60 is not just compact; its shape is ergonomically designed to fit the hand naturally and comfortably. The body design is inherited from the highly regarded Nikon D40 series. The bright and clear viewfinder ensures precise composition, while the large, 2.5in LCD monitor displays an easy-to-use menu system with a wide viewing angle so that anyone can navigate the settings and view images with ease. The new Eye Sensor function turns off the LCD monitor when the viewfinder is used. When the user moves away from the viewfinder, the LCD monitor turns on again automatically enhancing battery life and thus extending shooting capability.
The D60’s Retouch Menu offers many exclusive in-camera editing features to choose from. Use the Filter Effects option to intensify a colour (Red/Green/Blue) of your choice, or try the Cross Screen feature to produce star-like lines radiating from brightly lit objects in the image. In-camera NEF (RAW) processing is also available. RAW format images are developed within the camera after shooting, allowing you to control specific aspects of your pictures, such as image quality, image size and white balance. With the new Stop-motion feature, a stop-motion animation (the consecutive playback of still images) can be created from a sequence of images (in JPEG format). Also included is a convenient Quick Retouch option, which enhances contrast and saturation, to improve images without using a computer. The D60’s extensive Retouch Menu increases the fun and creative freedom of using a digital SLR.
- Fast, 0.19-second power-up to respond to every photographic opportunity
- Split-second shutter response eliminates the annoyance of shooting lag
- Fast continuous shooting mode enables up to 100 JPEG images (FINE L-size or smaller) at 3 f/p/s
- Advanced three-point AF system offers fast, efficient and precise autofocus
- Nikon 3D Colour Matrix Metering II for ideal exposures in almost any lighting situation
- Bright and clear viewfinder with 0.8x magnification for precise composition
- Long-life rechargeable lithium-ion battery that allows up to 500 images with the R709 on a single charge
- Digital Vari-Programs that adjust camera settings automatically for scene-specific pictures – selections include Auto, Auto (Flash Off), Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close Up, and Night Portrait
- Manual control over shutter speed and aperture: P (Programmed Auto), S (Shutter-priority Auto), A (Aperture-priority Auto) and M (Manual)
- Built-in flash with Nikon’s dependable i-TTL flash control, supporting Auto flash, Red-eye reduction, Slow sync, Rear curtain sync and Flash exposure compensation
- Simultaneous recording of NEF (RAW) and JPEG basic data of the same image
- Camera setting menus can be customised to suit individual preferences
- Imprint date function prints the date of capture directly on the picture
- Electronic rangefinder display that also indicates focus distance when using manual focus mode
- Fully compatible with AF-S and AF-I Nikkor lenses, that are equipped with an autofocus motor (Autofocus supported. Also compatible with most F-mount NIKKOR lenses when using manual focus mode)
- Supports the Nikon Creative Lighting System when using the SB-800, SB-600, SB-R200 or the Wireless Close-Up Speedlight system R1C1. Offers accurate exposures via i-TTL flash
- Optional Wireless Remote Control ML-L3 for easy remote shutter release
- Included Nikon ViewNX software lets you share, organise and edit pictures with ease
Pricing and availability:
- D60 body only: £449.99
- D60 kit with AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II lens: £499.99
- D60 kit with the AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens: £529.99
The D60 will be available from February 2008. For more information please visit the Nikon website.