Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Nikon has launched a new enthusiast level DSLR camera - the 24.1 megapixel Nikon D7100. The Nikon D7100 will be available from the end of March with an RRP of £1099 body only.
Read our Nikon D7100 Hands-On Preview.
The Nikon D7100 offers superb performance and a huge step up in image quality through an inspiring range of features. Its powerful 24.1-megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor guarantees sharply detailed images. By not employing an optical low pass filter (OLPF), the sensor makes the most of its megapixels for impressive high resolution. Images appear extremely sharp, allowing even the finest of textures like hair or feathers to be captured in ultra-high definition. Its EXPEED 3 image processor brings high-speed operation, vibrant colour reproduction and enhanced noise reduction.
The high ISO sensitivity of 100-6400, extendable to 25600 brings superior results even in poorly lit or dark environments, as well as clearly capturing fast-moving subjects. High-speed continuous shooting is assured at up to 6 fps, to easily capture the details of fast movements or rapidly changing facial expressions.
The Nikon D7100’s AF system offers professional-level performance by employing the same algorithm as the D4. It utilises 51 focus points with 15 cross-type sensors in the central area, offering perfect precision and subject acquisition. Rapid focusing is achieved on even a largely blurred image, due to faster initial AF detection.
- 24.1-megapixel DX format CMOS sensor: with no OLPF: for extreme image sharpness on even the finest details.
- EXPEED 3 image processor: for high speed operation, vibrant colour reproduction and enhanced noise reduction.
- ISO sensitivity of 100-6400, extendable to 25600: for exceptional low light performance.
- Professional-level AF system: utilising 51 focus points, of which15 are cross-type, for rapid and precise autofocus.
- 6 fps continuous shooting: to ensure you always capture that fast action shot.
- 1.3x crop function, expanding the possibilities of DX format: with extra telephoto effect, faster speed (up to 7 fps) and extra wide AF coverage.
- 2,016-pixel RGB metering sensor with Scene Recognition: highly accurate metering for exact exposures; optimising auto exposure (AE), autofocus (AF) and auto white balance (AWB) for supreme accuracy.
- Full HD Movie: 1080p up to 60i/50i and 30p/25p/24p, for smooth movie recording.
- High performance viewfinder: with approximately 100% frame coverage and 0.94x magnification.
- High-intensity LCD monitor: offers an 8cm/3.2in 1229k-dot wide-angle view.
- Conveniently portable: powerful features packed into a compact body weighing just 690g.
- Durable body with magnesium alloy covers: sealed for dust, weather and drop resistance.
- Dual SD memory card slots: allow overflow and backup recording or set to record RAW and J-PEG individually.
- Accessible usability functions: improved ‘i’ button and Spot White Balance for quick and precise white balance setting in Live View.
- Active D-Lighting (ADL): retains details in highlights and shadows for well-balanced images.
- High Dynamic Range (HDR): combines two shots within a single shutter release to create detailed images of high contrast scenes.
- Effects Mode: allows selected effects to be applied to both stills and movies in Live View.
- Wireless connectivity*: compatible with WU-1a Mobile Adapter
- NIKKOR lenses: with acclaimed NIKKOR lenses you can take full advantage of the camera’s 24.1 megapixels and 1.3x crop mode to create exceptional images and enjoy the portability of DX lenses.
- Remote operation: easily control key camera functions remotely with optional WR-R10 and new WR-1 wireless transceivers and WR-T10 wireless transmitter.
Also launched is a wireless WR-1 Remote. The WR-1 features a dot matrix display and a score of advanced features that enable the user to take control of most of the shooting operations – from simple remote shutter release to complex, multi-camera set-ups as well as possibility to check and change camera settings when mounted on the Nikon D7100. Various shooting scenarios can be pre-programmed, including simultaneous shooting, interval timer photography as well as customised shutter release delay. Operating on radio frequencies for unobstructed communication, a pair of WR-1 transceivers have a range of operation of up to 120 meters, which can be further expanded with a combination of multiple WR-1’s and/or WR-R10’s. It is priced at £649.99.
As well as this, an MDB-15 Battery Pack for the D7100 has been launched. The battery pack is weather sealed, and has a magnesium alloy cover. It is priced at £279.99.
Read our Nikon D7100 Hands-On Preview.
For more information, visit the Nikon website.
Nikon D7100 Specifications
|CCD pixels||24.1Mp (Megapixels)|
|Sensor Size (width)||23.5mm|
|Sensor Size (height)||15.6mm|
|Screen resolution||1229k dots|
|Shutter speeds shortest||1/8000sec|
|Shutter speeds longest||30sec|
|ISO sensitivity||100 - 25600|
|Optical Zoom with Video||Yes|
|Battery Type||Lithium Ion EN-EL15|
|Box Contents||EN-EL15 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery, MH-25 Quick Charger, UC-E6 USB Cable, AN-DC1 Strap, DK-5 Eyepiece Cap, DK-23 Rubber Eyecup, BF-1B Body Cap, BS-1 Accessory Shoe Cap, NikonView NX2 CD ROM|