Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
|Category:||Portable Flash and Lighting|
Nikon introduce Speedlight SB-600 - New flash for Nikon D70 digital SLR
The perfect i-TTL flash partner for the new Nikon D70 digital SLR, the SB-600 offers increased opportunities for creative flash photography when using zoom lenses, off camera or in wireless multiple flash arrangements.
Featuring a powerful GN of 30 (35mm at ISO 100), full directional bounce flexibility and an easy to use LCD display, the SB-600 offers an effective solution for anyone who is seeking a lightweight, compact but powerful lighting solution for their digital photography.
The SB-600, similar to the SB-800, features Nikon's new i-TTL Balanced Fill Flash technology, compatible with both the new Nikon D70 and the professional Nikon D2H. I-TTL uses two powerful monitor pre-flashes to enable accurate flash exposures, especially in bright lighting conditions. For the first time, the Nikon D70's 1005-pixel Matrix Metering sensor is used instead of a separate 5-segment Balanced Fill flash sensor found in previous Nikon SLR cameras.
Multiple Wireless Flash
Groups of SB-600 can also be included in the Nikon Creative Lighting System of completely automatic I-TTL Multiple wireless flash arrangements for a quick and easy studio lighting on the move. When set up as a Remote flash, groups are wirelessly controlled by using the exclusive new 'Commander' function of the Nikon D70. This function offers wireless control in either TTL, AA or Manual modes, set via the camera menu. The D70 pop up flash uses Nikon's Advanced Data Communication method of coded pulses of flash output to transmit a variety of flash mode instructions to Remote flash. After exposure the SB-600's beep confirms firing.
Zoom and Output control steps
The SB-600 has a focal length zoom range from 24,28,35,50,75,80mm and 14mm with the fold down diffuser that covers the most popular lens focal lengths. Manual output control ranges from Full Power to 1/2; 1/4; 1/8; 1/16; 1/32 and 1/64 with 1/3 EV steps.
The SB-600 also features wide AF area illumination for the latest 11-Area Multi-CAM2000 AF system, Modeling flash triggered from camera, Auto FP High Speed Sync, FV Lock and Flash Colour Communication.
The SB-600 is a fully powerful and featured Speedlight that offers excellent handling balance when used with compact digital SLR's such as the Nikon D70 and Nikon D100, especially when using short telephoto lenses. The SB-600 also comes complete with AS-19 Speedlight stand, and soft case SS-600. Available from May. Estimated RRP is £229.99.
Nikon Speedlight SB-600 Major Features
- Supports the Nikon Creative Lighting System
- Supports i-TTL (for automatic balanced Fill-Flash), D-TTL, TTL, Manual
- Easy-to-view LCD with 6 simple-to-understand backlit buttons
- Guide Number of 30/98[ISO100,m/ft], 42/138[ISO200,m/ft] (at 35mm zoom)
- Auto zoom of 24 to 85mm
- Same Wide area AF Assist Illuminator as the popular SB-800
- Advanced Wireless Lighting available with D2H or D70 when used as a remote
- Auto FP High-Speed Sync (with D2H only); use with fast shutter speeds achieves
effective blurring of out-of-focus background elements
- Modeling Pre-Flash enables the photographer to preview lighting effects
- Flash Color Information - optimized white balance makes use of data from
- FV lock holds flash value, enabling recomposition prior to shooting
- Accurate i-TTL flash control achieved through flash exposure monitoring
- Design consistent with those of next-generation D-SLRs, with a triangular
design element on the top that complements the D-SLR motif
- Supports optional Color Filter Set (SJ-1) Ready lights located on both sides of the front panel, highly visible even when used as a remote