Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
|Category:||Portable Flash and Lighting|
Nikon SB-80DX Speedlight introduced -
Designed for users of advanced Nikon SLRs and Nikon digital SLRs, it inherits all of the functions of the SB-28/28DX and adds some exciting innovations.
The SB-80DX provides compatibility with D-TTL and 3D Multi-Sensor Balanced Fill-Flash control, and offers features such as a tilt-rotate flash head, a built-in wide flash adapter for 14mm wideangle lens coverage, GN 38/125 (ISO 100, m/ft. at 35mm), flash coverage up to 105mm in 5mm zoom steps and an AF-Assist Illuminator. In addition, the SB-80DX enables modeling flash and wireless slave flash, and a new dedicated soft dome has been provided to create soft lighting.
The Nikon SB-80DX is a significant addition to the Nikon Speedlight lineup, offering photographers enhanced flash shooting flexibility for a wide range of applications.
Note: Specifications, design, product name and standard accessories may differ by country or area.
Nikon SB-80DX Features
- Guide number: 56/184 (ISO 100, m/ft. at 105mm), 38/125 (ISO 100, m/ft. at 35mm)
- 3D Multi-Sensor Balanced Fill-Flash capability
- D-TTL for D1 series and D100 -- same performance as field proven 3D Multi-Sensor Balanced Fill Flash
- Tilting/rotating flash head for bounce effect
- Built-in bounce card
- Built-in wide flash adapter provides coverage for 14mm wideangle lens*
- Wireless Slave Flash function
- Modeling flash function -- user can confirm whether there is a reflective object in the scene before shooting
- New dedicated soft dome to create soft lighting
- New multi-selector for easy operation
- AF-Assist Illumination up to 10m/32.8 ft.
- Large, informative LCD panel with illuminator
Automatic Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor (IGBT) and series circuitry
Flash exposure control
TTL automatic control with Nikon F5, F100, F80, F65, FM3A, D1 series or D100; Non-TTL automatic control; Manual control: full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 and 1/128 output
Guide number (ISO 100, m/ft.)
38/125 (at 35mm), 56/184 (at 105mm)
24mm to 105mm in 5mm zoom steps; 14/17mm with built-in wide flash adapter; 14mm with soft dome
ON/OFF/STANDBY button provided
Film speed range in TTL auto flash mode
ISO 25 to 1000
Approx. 6 sec. (manual at full)
Number of flashes
150 (manual at full)
Four 1.5V LR6 (AA-type alkaline), 1.2V, KR-AA (AA-type NiCd) or 1.5V FR6 (AA-type lithium) batteries; DC Unit SD-7*1*2; Battery Pack SD-8A*2
*2 SD-7/8 cannot be used with the SB-28 sold in European countries.
Approx. 127.5 x 70.5 x 91.5 mm or 5.0 x 2.8 x 3.6 in.
Weight (without batteries)
Approx. 335g or 11.8 oz.
Specifications and designs are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.