Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Olympus recently announced the IS-500. This "All-in-one" AF SLR is aimed at those photographers that want compact dimensions but the benefits of a conventional SLR.
Ideal for the photographer with a creative eye, the IS-500 offers versatility, performance and the practicality of a compact SLR camera.
The IS 500's design and control layout ensure comfortable handling. An array of photographic features guarantee superb image quality, balance and responsive handling. Flexible shooting modes automatically adjust the camera settings to suit particular compositions. In addition, the Olympus 'All-In-One' IS design has been enhanced to present a more elegant and streamlined model.
Equipped with a high-resolution 4.3x zoom lens, the IS-500 provides a wide range of focal lengths, from a 28 mm wide-angle to 120 mm telephoto position. The precision-crafted optical system comprises multi-coated glass lenses, including an ED (Extra-low Dispersion) lens element, to preserve image clarity even at the highest magnification factor.
To guarantee optimum illumination at every focal length, the IS 500 incorporates a powerful, advanced twin flash system and versatile flash modes. Flash tube selection is automatically determined by the zoom factor - one flash tube for telephoto settings and a second flash tube for wide-angle and macro shots.
In addition, to secure the correct exposure for flash portraits and close-ups, an intelligent variable-power flash system regulates the intensity of illumination according to subject distance and ambient light level. When the presence of fluorescent or artificial light is detected the IS 500 fires an auto colour-balancing flash if necessary. Other key features include -
- Convenient Mode Select button allows instant access to Program AE, Aperture-Priority AE and Long Time shooting modes.
- Spot metering to optimise the exposure settings for a specific area in the frame. In addition fuzzy-logic ESP and centre-weighted average metering are selected automatically according to the shooting mode and lighting conditions.
- A large, rear-mounted LCD panel on the back of the camera provides confirmation of the mode settings and shooting parameters at a glance.
- Real-image zoom viewfinder equipped with LED indicators for autofocus, flash charge, and exposure.
Optional Accessories -
- 1.3x tele-converter offers edge-to-edge optical clarity and maintains the full performance of the original lens. It is also multi-coated to reduce flare.
- Infrared remote control can trigger the shutter from up to 5 metres away.
Availability and pricing
Available from March 2002, the price will be around 220.