London, 14 September 2006 – Olympus presents the latest addition to the E-System, the world’s smallest and lightest D-SLR camera – the E-400. The compact size and low weight of this latest Four Thirds Standard camera, allows photographers to take it virtually anywhere, while not having to do without the considerable benefits of SLR photography. This model features a new CCD with 10.0 million pixels and a state-of-the-art amplifier circuit for incredible imaging performance at super fast speed. As the design of the E-400 is based on the Four Thirds Standard, users have virtually unlimited flexibility.
A wide range of high-quality, interchangeable lenses, including the EISA Award winning Olympus ZUIKO DIGITAL Top Pro lenses, plus other accessories are available for all types of needs. These are provided by Olympus and, thanks to cross-manufacturer compatibility of the standard, from other manufacturers as well. As with all E-System cameras, the E-400 features the Supersonic Wave Filter – ensuring dust-free photography, even after changing lenses under challenging conditions.
Compact size with innovative D-SLR technology
As it is the world’s smallest and lightest D-SLR*, the E-400 is sure to never become a burden. It is the perfect travel companion, compact enough to take along on holidays or for use as a high quality back-up camera when out on the road.
Within its extraordinarily tiny frame is a treasure-trove of innovative technology. To begin with, a 10.0 million pixel CCD provides plenty of imaging power so that even the finest of details do not go to waste. This highly energy-efficient CCD features a state-of-the-art amplifier circuit that all but eradicates noise and is incredibly fast. It enables sequential shooting at up to 3fps with a five image RAW buffer in burst mode.
Like every Olympus E-System camera, the E-400 is armed with a Supersonic Wave Filter. This patented technology allows lenses to be changing – even in challenging environments – without the fear of dust contamination, giving users the brilliance of dust-free pictures every time. Developed by Olympus, the Supersonic Wave Filter generates ultra-high-speed vibrations that literally shake off dust and other particles from the CCD. These are then captured on a special adhesive membrane to prevent recontamination. For the E-400, the Supersonic Wave Filter has been optimised with smaller dimensions and a higher frequency of vibrations for even more effectiveness.
Pro features and comfortable handling
The Olympus E-400 proves that even a feature-packed D-SLR needn’t be difficult to operate. Of course it includes the full range of manual control options for boundless creativity, and complements these with 32 scene modes that cover a wide variety of shooting situations. These include Underwater, Macro, High Key and Low Key. Users also benefit from special colour modes and the possibility to apply various Black&White filters to images.
So that photographers can continue shooting as long as they wish, the
E-400 is powered by a new high-power rechargeable battery. The camera also accepts both CompactFlash and xD-Picture Cards, giving a choice of data storage options for even more flexibility. And, to ensure that the versatility and quality of E-System photography is open to as many people as possible, the menus on the E-400, as well as its manuals and software, can be displayed any one of 25 languages, making the camera completely understandable in 39 European countries – something only Olympus currently offers.
Four Thirds compatibility for boundless versatility
As with all E-Series cameras, the E-400 conforms to the Four Thirds Standard. Olympus and various other manufacturers produce high-quality Four Thirds-compliant lenses and accessories that are specifically designed for digital SLR image capture. With only very few exceptions, the E-400 is compatible with virtually the complete range of Olympus E-System accessories. This includes the full line-up of the ZUIKO DIGITAL Top Pro lenses, which recently received an EISA award. Even an Underwater Case (PT-E03) will be available to let adventurous photographers capture the delights of the aquatic world in up to 40m of water.
The E-400 achieves a remarkable balancing act between being the world’s smallest and lightest D-SLR* and relinquishing nothing in terms of image quality and professional performance. It combines the size usually attributed to compact cameras with the stunningly crisp picture quality and versatility expected from an SLR. The E-400 will be available from November 2006 for approximately £850. The package will include the E-400 body, a 14-42mm lens and a new compact 40 – 150mm lens.
The Olympus E-400 digital SLR – main features:
- World’s smallest and lightest D-SLR
- 10 million pixels
- 6.4cm/2.5” LCD
- Supersonic Wave Filter for dust protection
- Dual memory card slots (for xD-Picture Card and CompactFlash)
- 32 shooting modes (incl. 5 exposure, 7 creative & 20 scene modes)
- Built-in pop-up flash (GN 10)
- 3fps with up to five images in RAW buffer
- One touch white balance
- TruePic TURBO image processor
- AF-lock functionality
- Depth of field preview function
- Improved 49 segment digital ESP and spot metering
- Exposure Bracketing function
- Large beginners and advanced info screen
- Detailed playback info screen with histogram
- Exceptional ease of use with intuitive GUI and buttons that provide immediate access to frequently used features
- JPEG & RAW recording
- Based on Four Thirds Standard
- Underwater Case available (PT-E03) waterproof to 40m
The camera has been launched with two more ultra-compact lenses, the ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm (28-84mm) 1:3.5-5.6 and ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm (80-300mm) 1:4.0-5.6. These are both covered in a separate press release here and join the existing Olympus E-System lens line-up, which includes:
Top Pro lens range
- ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 7-14mm (14-28mm) 1:4.0
- ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-35mm (28-70mm) 1:2.0
(available from 2007)
- ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 35-100mm (70-200mm) 1:2.0
- ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 90-250mm (180-500mm) 1:2.8
- ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 150mm (300mm) 1:2.0
- ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 300mm (600mm) 1:2.8
Pro lens range
- ZUIKO DIGITAL 11-22mm (22-44mm) 1:2.8-3.5
- ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-54mm (28-108mm) 1:2.8-3.5
- ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 50-200mm (100-400mm) 1:2.8-3.5
- ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm 1:3.5 Fisheye
- ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 50mm (100mm) 1:2.0 Macro
Standard lens range
- NEW!! ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm (28-84mm) 1:3.5-5.6
- ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-45mm (28-90mm) 1:3.5-5.6
- ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 18-180mm (36-360mm) 1:3.5-6.3
- ZUIKO DIGITAL 40-150mm (80-300mm) 1:3.5-4.5
- NEW!! Extra compact ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm (80-300mm) 1:4.0-5.6
- ZUIKO DIGITAL 35mm Macro (70mm) 1:3.5