Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Olympus E-500 announced - Olympus announce newest addition to E-System SLR range
The E-500 features an 8 megapixel Full Frame Transfer CCD as well as a high resolution 2.5 inch HyperCrystal LCD with 215,250 pixels for clear viewing of images.
The E-500 features professionally approved, user-friendly controls layout offering a choice of full manual control or 21 pre-defined scene modes. The E-500 also features improved metering from a 49 area sensor, a special filter to minimise image noise at high ISO levels and a shot preview function to provide easy viewing of images before they are saved onto the memory card. The camera has two memory card slots for CompactFlash and xD media cards.
The E-500 incorporates Olympus' unique Supersonic Wave Filter, which eliminates problems with dust when changing lenses. The camera is also compatible with the complete range of Olympus E-System lenses and many accessories.
Olympus E-500 main features summary:
1) 8.0 million pixels with Full Frame Transfer CCD
2) 6.4cm/2.5 HyperCrystal LCD (215,250 pixels)
3) Supersonic Wave Filter for dust protection
4) Light and compact penta type design (for classic SLR look)
5) 49 area AE sensor & high light basis, shadow light basis spot metering
6) Single AF, continuous AF and manual focusing
7) Digital ESP, centre-weighted average and spot exposure metering
8) AE lock functionality
9) Sequential shooting at 2.5fps in HQ (1/8) and SQ JPEG format up to the full memory card capacity when using high-speed media, such as SanDisk SDCFX (Extreme III)
10) IR Hybrid Type Cut Filter for equalisation with human eyes
11) 1/3 EV ISO steps
12) TruePic TURBO image processor
13) 21 scene programme modes plus full manual operation
14) Dual slot for CompactFlash/Microdrives and xD-Picture Cards
15) Built-in pop-up flash
16) User-friendly menu with detailed and simplified display modes
17) Weight: 435g, size: 129.5 x 94.5 x 66mm
The new camera will be available to buy alone or as part of a range of kits. Kits available are:
1)Body Kit - includes E-500 body and BLM-1 rechargeable battery pack with BCM-2 charger.
2)SE Kit includes E-500 body and 17.5 - 45mm (35-90mm) 1:3.5-5.6, LBH-1 battery holder, 3x CR-123 batteries.
3)Standard Kit includes E-500 body and 14 - 45mm (28-90mm) 1:3.5-5.6, BLM-1 rechargeable battery pack with BCM-2 charger.
The Olympus E-500 will be available by the end of October. Full pricing will be confirmed in October.
Help support ePHOTOzine and look here for other Olympus E-System cameras