Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Is the PEN mightier than the sword? - Olympus E-P1 PEN Micro Four Thirds camera announced.
Olympus rewrites history
The Olympus Pen: a legend returns
In 1959, Olympus changed the face of photography by pursuing one simple idea: create a camera as easy to use and carry as a pen. Designed by renowned style guru Yoshihisa Maitani, the Olympus Pen triggered a camera boom that would last through the end of the 1970s. Today the legend comes alive again in digital form with the release of the E-P1. This first ground breaking Olympus Micro Four Thirds model comes at a time when mirrors are no longer a necessary component for digital cameras with interchangeable lenses. Incredibly small size, retro style, and ease of use are a nod to the Pen’s past. However, D-SLR quality and a host of new features place the E-P1 at the leading edge as Olympus innovative technologies reimagine the future. Now everyone can have the best of both worlds: high-end design and D-SLR performance. The E-P1 will be available for purchase in July 2009.
When he originally designed the first of many Pen cameras, Maitani could not have suspected that he was starting a revolution. Selling over 17 million units, the Pen became one of the most trusted, popular, and successful camera series ever. The removal of the mirror box in the 21st century has brought the legendary series back. Mirror-less construction is the foundation for both the Olympus Pen E-P1’s stunning new design and its remarkably compact size. Everyone will fall in love with the camera’s irresistible retro-look. It is reminiscent of the classic Olympus Pens, which were cherished for their compactness, usability, and affordable price.
Five decades later, the E-P1 promises to honour the memory of its famous forefathers. It hails the beginning of the next generation of the digital era. In addition to all the advantages of Olympus imaging technology, the new ultra-compact hybrid device can even record HD quality movies with sound and stunning creative effects familiar from still photography. In addition to the application of Art Filters, it includes the ability to vary depth of field, angle of view, and autofocus during recording.
The Olympus Pen E-P1 reinvents high-end stylish photography for the new millennium. The new model and its two accompanying Micro Four Thirds lenses will hit stores in July 2009.
The Olympus Pen E-P1 – main features:
- Small & stylish design
- Extremely small and light-weight Micro Four Thirds System
- Stylish design with metal finish
- Two colours
SLR image quality
- 12.3Mp Live MOS Sensor
- TruePic V image processor
- Built-in IS with max. 4EV steps efficiency
- Adapter for all ZUIKO DIGITAL & OM lenses
- New developed GUI for easiest operation via Live Control
- Automatic recognition of common scenes possible with i-Auto
- Clear skin with e-Portrait
- Two dials for easy handling
- Face Detection and Shadow Adjustment Technology
- 20 shooting modes (5 exposure modes, i-Auto mode, 14 scene modes)
Creativity & HD Movie
- HD Movie with stereo sound featuring depth of field and Art Filters
- Art Filters, Multi-Aspect ratios
- Multi Exposure function
- Art Filters can be applied to previously taken RAW images in the camera and with Olympus software
- Enhanced creativity with special lenses e.g. fisheye is available via Four Thirds lens adapter
Additional features of the Olympus Pen:
- HDMI TV interface
- Linear PCM sound recording
- Level gauge
- Hi-Speed USB 2.0 interface
- Three frames per second with sequential shooting (max 14 in RAW mode)
- ISO 100-6400 for wide-ranging sensitivity
- Versatile bracketing functions for white balance and exposure
- Reliable Supersonic Wave Filter dust reduction system
- Based on the Micro Four Thirds Standard
- Wide dynamic range in highly lit areas
- Simultaneous writing of RAW and JPEG
- SD memory card (SDHC compatible)
- High-speed data writing and lossless RAW compression for quick processing
- Large 7.6cm/3.0” HyperCrystal LCD
- AE/AF lock functionality for individual customisation
- Auto gradation adjustment to prevent blown highlights and
- blocked-in shadows
- Remote release possible via the optional remote cable RM-UC1
The Olympus Pen E-P1 is available in the following configurations:
- E-P1 Kit Silver/Black (E-P1 body silver & M. ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 lens black)
- E-P1 Kit Silver/Silver (E-P1 body silver & M. ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 lens silver)
- E-P1 Kit White/Silver (E-P1 body white & M. ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 lens silver)
- E-P1 Pancake Kit Silver (E-P1 body silver & M. ZUIKO DIGITAL 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake lens silver & VF-1)
- E-P1 Pancake Kit White (E-P1 body white & M. ZUIKO DIGITAL 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake lens silver & VF-1)
- E-P1 Double Lens Kit (E-P1 body silver & M. ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 lens black & M. ZUIKO DIGITAL 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake lens silver & VF-1)
- M. ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 lens
- M. ZUIKO DIGITAL 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake lens
- MMF-1 adapter for all Four Thirds lenses
- MF-2 adapter for all OM lenses
- FL-14 flash
- VF-1 external optical view finder
- Leather strap in white and brown
- Leather body jacket in white and brown
In the UK the Olympus E-P1 standard kit is priced at £699.99 with the 14-42 lens.