Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
The new Olympus IS-5000 QD camera boasts a powerful, high-quality 5x zoom lens and a full complement of shooting modes. Combining the creative freedom of an SLR with the convenience and usability of a compact camera, the IS-5000 QD is ideal for your more ambitious photography.
With a high-performance 5x zoom lens, the Olympus IS-5000 QD offers the demanding photographer a full spectrum of focal lengths, from 28 mm wide-angle shots to 140 mm close-ups. Its optical system has been expertly crafted using multi-coated glass lenses, including an ED (Extra-low Dispersion) lens element, to maintain image clarity even at the highest magnification factor.
User-friendly exposure control and shooting modes allow maximum creativity in virtually all conditions. Manual exposure offers complete control of aperture and shutter speed, whilst 'priority' modes enable the camera to automatically set shutter speed and depth of field. Alternatively, the camera's automatic mode can be relied upon to deliver impressive results
with the minimum effort.
The powerful, advanced twin flash system and versatile flash modes of the IS 5000 QD guarantee optimum illumination in low light. The selection of a flash tube is automatically determined by the zoom factor - one flash tube for telephoto settings and one for wide-angle and macro shots.
An intelligent variable-power flash system secures the correct exposure for flash portraits and close-ups by regulating the intensity of illumination according to subject distance and ambient light level. In addition, the IS 500 fires an auto colour-balancing flash in the presence of fluorescent or artificial light.
The camera's viewfinder is equipped with a built-in LCD enabling the photographer to see the selected shooting parameters without moving away from the eyepiece. The display includes information on shutter speed, aperture and indicates the chosen exposure mode. In addition, a large LCD panel on the back of the camera confirms these parameters at a glance. In poor light, the data can be lit up for easy reading.
Other key features include -
- Outstanding macro close-up capability at any zoom setting.
- Spot metering to optimise the exposure settings for a specific area in the frame. In addition fuzzy-logic ESP and centre-weighted average metering are selected automatically according to the shooting mode and lighting conditions.
- High-precision AF system with CMOS line sensor to ensure outstanding accuracy in low-light situations.
- Continuous shooting - to capture dramatic action sequences, the IS-5000 QD enables shooting speeds of up to 1.2 frames per second. This can be used in combination with the Stop Action mode.
- Date/time imprinting - If desired, the date or time of a photo can be printed on each frame.
Optional Accessories -
- 1.3x tele-converter offers edge-to-edge optical clarity and maintains the full performance of the original lens. It is also multi-coated to reduce flare.
- Infrared remote control can trigger the shutter from up to 5 metres away.
Available in March 2002 it will cost around 280