Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Style and performance - Olympus have released the mju 830, with 5x zoom and Dual Image Stabilisation for more photographic freedom.
A premium combination of design and features lend the Olympus µ [mju:] 830 irresistible qualities. With the luxury of a 5x optical zoom (equivalent to 36-180mm on a 35mm camera), photographers can get closer to subjects without having to move an inch. Double protection against blur caused by camera shake, which is more likely at high magnifications, is provided by Dual Image Stabilisation – a combination of high ISO setting and a mechanical image stabiliser. Furthermore, a smart, weatherproof, aluminium exterior, finished in silver or black, serves as a stylish defence against all kinds of unexpected weather. This means that the picture-taking doesn’t have to stop when the sunshine does. And an 8Mpl CCD combined with innovative Face Detection Technology ensures that photos featuring faces are virtually guaranteed to come out perfectly sharp and exposed.
Shoot where, when and how you want
With a sleek, weatherproof aluminium body in silver or black, the µ [mju:] 830 need not shy away from poor weather. Whether exposed to light showers on the hiking trail, or a splash from the pool, this model keeps on shooting through it all. 8.0 Megapixels ensure that even the tiniest of details are captured, while the 5x optical zoom (equiv. to 36-180mm) means more shooting flexibility – especially when it’s a challenge for the photographer to get close to their subject.
Face Detection Technology ensures that subjects’ faces come out stunningly sharp and optimally-exposed. Meanwhile, Shadow Adjustment Technology automatically adjusts the exposure settings for shadowy parts of the image so that results are significantly more detailed and realistic. This model also bids farewell to unwanted blur as it incorporates Dual Image Stabilisation: a high ISO setting and mechanical image stabiliser combine to provide double insurance against the effects of camera shake.
A large 6.4cm HyperCrystal LCD makes framing and reviewing shots a piece of cake – even in direct sunlight, with BrightCapture Technology working to improve the brightness of both still images and movies, as well as previews displayed on the LCD. And the inclusion of the new TruePic III image processor means more faithful colour reproduction, reduced image noise and a boost in overall camera speed.
With 22 scene modes including Night Scene and Candle, it’s no problem to quickly adjust to virtually any shooting situation. And an internal memory plus an xD-Picture Card slot mean that the user can expand storage at any time. Additionally, the Olympus Master software allows for the organisation and archiving of photos once they’re on a computer – and the trial version of Muvee Pack included can be used to create photo movies from images.
The Olympus µ [mju:] 830 – main features:
- 5x optical zoom (equivalent to 36-180mm on a 35mm camera), 1:3.3-5.0 for exciting close-ups
- Avoid blur thanks to Dual Image Stabilisation
- Weatherproof, aluminium body
- Face Detection Technology for perfectly focused and exposed faces
- 8.0Mpx to make poster-sized prints
- 6.4cm/2.5in HyperCrystal LCD (230,000 px resolution) with a bright display even in brilliant sunlight
- Better low-light shooting thanks to BrightCapture Technology
- 22 scene modes for the best results in different situations
- Shadow Adjustment Technology to brighten shadowy areas in a composition
- Liven up your memories with movie recording with sound
- TruePic III image processor for faster image handling and higher image quality
- Internal memory plus xD-Picture Card slot
- Hi-Speed USB
- 25 languages on board
- Illuminated buttons
- Supplied with Olympus Master software 2.03 and Muvee Pack trial version plus LI-42B battery
- Weatherproof equivalent to the IEC standard publication 529 IPX4
The Olympus µ [mju:] 830 will be available from October 2007 at around £250. For further information visitthe Olympus website.