Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Tough stuff - Olympus have extended their line of [mju:] cameras with the 850 and 1030 SW.
Not one, but two bar-raising additions join the highly-successful Olympus shock and waterproof line-up this season. Both the Olympus µ [mju:] 1030 SW and µ [mju:] 850 SW are remarkably tough, offering protection against falls, water immersion and the freezing cold. They are the ideal choice for great image results no matter the intended photographic terrain. They will be available from February 2008 at recommended prices of £319.99 for the µ [mju:] 1030 SW and £229.99 for the µ [mju:] 850 SW .
Building on the tough reputation of their predecessors – including the TIPA Award-winning µ [mju:] 770 SW – the new µ [mju:] 1030 SW and µ [mju:] 850 SW set you up for adventure. Drop them in a muddy puddle on a hike through the mountains and don’t worry: simply wash the mud off in the next stream and keep shooting. Adventure is really yours for the taking. Go for dives in lakes or the sea and capture the wonders under the water’s surface, or take to the snow and immortalise those sub-zero moments. Whatever your lifestyle, these extraordinary, chic models take it all. Despite their tough attributes, image quality doesn’t take a back seat. Precision Olympus optics deliver true-to-life results, while integrated cutting-edge technologies provide intelligent solutions to ensure the flawless reproduction of subjects. In addition, a choice of several striking colours serves to further brighten the photo-taking experience.
The Olympus µ [mju:] 1030 SW
There’s no other camera like it. The Olympus µ [mju:] 1030 SW is waterproof to a depth of 10m, shockproof against falls to 2m, freezeproof to temperatures as low as -10°C and crushproof to weights of up to 100kg. And now, its stylish metal exterior – which is available in a choice of three colours (Platinum Silver, Midnight Black and British Green) – is also scratchproof. But this model isn’t only tough and good-looking; its great image results also make it a delight to have with you at all times. The incorporation of a 3.6x wide zoom (28-102mm on a 35mm camera) provides plenty of flexibility when it comes to framing: get more of the family into a group photo, or zoom in close from afar for candid shots. A 10.1Mp sensor provides plenty of image detail, giving users the flexibility to crop shots later on a computer and still retain high quality. Meanwhile, an extra-large 2.7in/6.9cm HyperCrystal II LCD boasts a wider viewing angle as well as improved views – even in bright sunlight. In addition, Digital Image Stabilisation reduces blur caused by shakes. A new battery (LI-50B) provides more power so shooting can go on for longer.
The Olympus µ [mju:] 850 SW
Sporting a sleek metal body in a choice of Starry Silver, Midnight Black or Metal Pink, the Olympus µ [mju:] 850 SW brings the durability of the shockproof, waterproof line-up to everyone. Waterproof to 3m, shockproof to 1.5m, and freezeproof to -10°C, this camera is ready for the bumps and bangs of everyday life. In conjunction with its tough exterior, the µ [mju:] 850 SW boasts a hearty 8.0Mp to guarantee the flawless capture of every detail. Digital Image Stabilisation is also on board to reduce blur. For framing flexibility, a 3x optical zoom (equivalent to 38-114mm on a 35mm camera) gets you in close, and the large 2.5in/6.4cm LCD makes it easy to quickly preview and review shots. In addition, an LED Macro Illuminator is available for enhancing shots of close-up subjects during macro photography.
Both the µ [mju:] 1030 SW and µ [mju:] 850 SW incorporate Face Detection Technology for the optimal exposure and focus of human subjects. Shadowy compositions are no longer a problem either, thanks to inclusion of Shadow Adjustment Technology. And with BrightCapture Technology, low-light shooting is significantly improved. The integrated TruePic III image processor works to enhance not only speed, but also colour reproduction and noise suppression for more realistic images. And for additional operating ease, Olympus has raised the number of languages on board to an incredible 38. Furthermore, the underwater cases PT-043 and PT-041 are optionally available for the µ [mju:] 1030 SW and the µ [mju:] 850 SW respectively for additional fun up to 40m below the water’s surface.
The ultra-tough µ [mju:] 1030 SW and µ [mju:] 850 SW are the perfect companions for fun and outdoor adventure, and will be available from February 2008.
µ [mju:] 1030 SW
- Exciting shots in and by the pool and water as waterproof to 10m
- Take it anywhere, anytime as shockproof up to 2.0m
- Crushproof 100kg
- 10.1Mp to make poster-size prints
- 3.6x wide optical zoom (28-102mm) for stunning close-ups
- 6.9cm/2.7in HyperCrystal II LCD with a bright display even in brilliant sunlight and at extreme angles (230,000 dots)
- Scratchproof metal body in three colours: Platinum Silver, Midnight Black and British Green
- Underwater shooting up to a water pressure equivalent of 40m possible in combination with optional underwater case PT-043
µ [mju:] 850 SW
- Exciting shots in and by the water as waterproof to 3m
- Take it anywhere, anytime as shockproof up to 1.5m
- 6.4cm/2.5in HyperCrystal LCD with a bright display even in brilliant sunlight
- 8.0Mp to make poster-size prints
- 3x optical zoom (38-114mm) for stunning portraits
- Sleek metal body in five colours: Starry Silver, Midnight Black or Metal Pink
- Underwater shooting up to a water pressure equivalent of 40m possible in combination with optional underwater case PT-041
Common features of the µ [mju:] 1030 SW and µ [mju:] 850 SW:
- Face Detection Technology for perfectly focused and exposed faces plus correct exposure of other image areas
- Digital Image Stabilisation for less blur
- Better low light shooting thanks to BrightCapture Technology
- Best companion also in winter as freezeproof
- 24 scene modes for the best results in different situations
- Liven up your memories with movie recording with sound (up to VGA resolution at 30fps)
- TruePic III image processor for faster image handling and higher image quality
For more information, please visit the Olympus website.