Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Olympus has launched the VH-520 compact camera, which features low-light iHS, which is only normally found in much bigger cameras for three times the price.
The VH-520 has a 14 megapixel CMOS sensor and a TruePic V processor originally developed for DSLR. It also features a 26mm-260mm* wide, 10x optical zoom lens (20x with Super Resolution Zoom) and lens-shift image stabilisation for taking out blur. When it’s dark, ISO 6400 and HDR Backlight Adjustment are essential. For slow-mo movie playback, there’s High Speed Movie recording, and Multi-motion Movie IS for shooting video on the go.
For a camera measuring just 25.4mm from lens to its radiant 3” LCD, the VH-520 houses loads of quality components. It has gorgeous design, sensibly laid-out controls (one-button movie recording) and Magic Filters for stills and Full HD movies. By shaving down the lens set, Olympus were able to replace digital IS with mechanical. Combine that with the high-sensitivity, high-ISO capability of iHS, and you’ve got a camera that lets you shoot straight from the hip – bright and blur-free, in good or bad light.
Olympus VH-520 Key Features:
- 10x wide optical zoom lens (26-260mm*) with 20x Super Resolution Zoom for effortless close-ups and wide-angle shots.
- 14 Megapixel CMOS sensor for extremely high-quality full-size movies, stills and prints.
- iHS technologies for capturing exactly the shots you want with rich colour and low noise, irrespective of shooting conditions.
- 1080p Full HD Movie with stereo sound for capturing movies in the best image quality.
- Multi-motion Movie IS for recording Full HD movies with reduced blur while walking.
- Mechanical, lens-based Dual Image Stabilisation for reducing blur caused by shaking, even with long exposures.
- TruePic V image engine for excellent image quality.
- HDR Backlight Adjustment for ideal exposure when shooting against the light.
- High Speed Movie for recording video at high frame rates (240 or 120fps) and playing it back in dramatic slow motion.
- ISO up to 6400 for excellent imaging despite poor light.
- 3” colour LCD (460,000 dots) for easily framing, reviewing and sharing shots.
- Magic Filters for adding creative effects to stills or Full HD movies.
For more information, visit the Olympus website.
* 35mm equivalent.