Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Perfect Photo Suite 7 is the latest version of onOne Software's photo editing package that bundles their most popular products. It is available in three packages; Standard Edition works as a standalone product, the Lightoom & Aperture Edition integrates with Lightroom and Aperture and the Premium Edition also works as a plug-in for Photoshop and Elements. The packages are priced at $79.95 (£50), $149.95 (£92) and $299.95 (£185) respectively.
- New Perfect Black & White - with over 95 built-in effects including tone, colour response, toner, borders and more.
- New Perfect Effects 4 - new blending modes, paint-in effects and an improved library of effects, borders, textures and built-in presets.
- New Perfect Portrait 2 - new automated enhancement tools, new feature selection tools and faster processing speeds.
- New Perfect Layers 3 - makes it easier to create and work with layered files with new blending modes, textures, borders, PBG file support and edge-detecting Perfect Brush.
- New Perfect Resize Pro 7.5 - faster processing and new presets powered by Genuine Fractals technology.
- Perfect Mask 5 - create high quality masks automated functionality and powerful tools to select subjects and isolate backgrounds.
- Focal Point 2 - create realistic selective focus and depth of field effects after the shot. Choose from a selection of lens presets to produce a specific bokeh or adjust controls to get the amount and kind of blur you want.
- Redesigned User Interface - streamlined, intuitive interface that helps you navigate your workspace easily, makes all of your essential tools readily available and gives your image the primary focus.
- Perfect Brush - precise edge-detected masking. It will smoothly apply or remove adjustments to the specific area you're working on without crossing over the edges around it. Available in Perfect B&W, Perfect Portrait 2, Perfect Layers 3 and Perfect Effects 4.
- Favourites - save time with your image editing by keeping your favorite effects, presets and extras always close at hand in your favourites folder.
- Integrate frames, borders and edges - Enhance your images in Perfect Effects, Perfect B&W and Perfect Layers with the most popular frames, borders and edges from PhotoFrame. Now, you can easily add the perfect finishing touch to your image at the same time you're stylizing it with the powerful creativity tools in these modules.
- Standalone application or plug-in for Photoshop CS4, CS5 or CS6, Lightroom 2, 3 or 4, Aperture 2.1 or 3 and Photoshop Elements 9, 10 or 11 (depending on which version you purchase from Standard, Lightroom & Aperture or Premium Editions).
- Free updates for every version of Perfect Photo Suite 7 that is released.
Perfect Portrait 2 - When you load a picture it automatically detects faces. You then need to adjust the eye and mouth control points by clicking and moving them. You can choose from a number of defaults depending on your subject, whether they be children, females, males or groups, each of which has a number of presets. As well as the presets you can manually edit with options for skin retouching. These include blemishes, smoothing, shine, shadows, texture and evenness. There are colour correction options which include warmth, colour shift and ethinicity. Once you have made your adjustments, click apply.
Perfect Effects 4 - When you load this module the effects are listed on the left hand side. On the right hand side there is an option to stack multiple effects by pressing add, you can adjust its strength via a slider. Click options brings up another menu which includes blending mode (normal, darken, multiply), apply effect to (e.g. highlights, midtones, shadows) and protect (highlights, shadows and flesh colours).
In the example below there have been a number of effects added to the original; brightness - lighter, colour correction - auto colour, HDR - look natural, landscape - red enhancer, Sharpening - amazing detail and vignette - edges to black.
If you find a combination of effects you really like and want to use again, go to preset, then save preset. You can give it a name, category, author and description - ideal if you eventually create many different presets for different types of image and style required.
Black and white - On the left there are a number of presets and adjust brightness, contrast and detail in tone panel which is on the right. Brightness, contrast and detail can also be brushed in or out. Under the tone panel are a number of options to fine tune your image, including colour response, glow, film grain, toner, vignette, border, sharpening and blending.
Black And White Before
Black And White After
Focal point 2 - The main feature here is the FocusBug. It is the part of the area you choose to keep in focus. It starts as a circle but you can make it fatter, thinner, taller or shorter and also rotate it. This is done by moving the bugs' arms. It can also be a planar shape - ideal for creating a tilt-shift effect. There are two other arms which control the vignette lightness and mid-point and the blur amount and feather. What is really interesting is that you can add more FocusBugs so you can keep more than one area in focus.
The blur can be adjusted by picking a particular lens - there are 35 to 300mm lens available at different apertures to give a different effect. You can change the number of sides on an aperture and curvature. There are also a number of other options available including brightness and contrast.
Focal Point Before
Focal Point After
Perfect Mask 5 - While reviewing this part of the product we had mixed results, it works but can be time consuming. In the picture below we have managed to remove the background from the picture of the dog and place her in another scene, but if you view at full size, there is some issues around the paws. This is because the colours are very similar between background and subject. In areas of large contrast it works fine, you simply use the drop brush tool, with a refine brush tool provided for edges like hair and trees. One tool that is very useful is the drop / keep colour eyedropper. You pick colours to keep or drop in an area, then use the magic wand.
Perfect Resize 7.5 - It is quite easy to use. You specify the size and output medium and let the software do the rest. For example, if you wanted to produce an A2 print, simply select A2 as the size from the drop down menu and the correct printing output from the resolution. Saving the image will resize it to the correct dimensions, ready for sending for print. The software is equally at home reducing the size of images too, say for uploading to ePHOTOzine.
Perfect Layers 3 - Within the layers module, Perfect Photo Suite incorporates the perfect mask tool, which provides tools for easy separation of objects from their backgrounds. Automatic subject detection does a reasonably good job in most cases of isolating your subject and the mask can be refined quite easily using the add and subtract tools provided.
Value for moneyA lot of features have certainly been packed into this release of Perfect Photo Suite, combining onOne software's most popular products. It retails for around £185 for the full version or £92 for an upgrade from a previous version, which seems quite reasonable for what you get as it can be used as a standalone package, or as an enhancement for Photoshop, or similar editing programs. The value of this product certainly looks good when you consider that buying all the separate parts of this package would cost around £430. This is also true if you could only see yourself using two or more of the packages contained within this software.
Its best features include easily enhancing portraits and adding effects from a large number of options. Using Perfect Black and White and Focal Point are also a lot of fun, with some very creative opportunities available with the latter, including the option to have more than one focal point. Perfect Mask is more complicated than the others, and requires quite a large amount of time and effort to get it right, but our Photo Editing expert did say it made the process easier than Photoshop did.
|The onOne Software Perfect Photo Suite 7 packs plenty of features and effects into its package.|
onOne Software Perfect Photo Suite 7 ProsPlenty of effects and features to choose from
Can be used as a standalone, or integrated into other softwares
Most effects applied in a couple of clicks
onOne Software Perfect Photo Suite 7 ConsRequires some practice to get used to some of the features
Premium Edition is quite expensive
|VALUE FOR MONEY|
The Perfect Photo Suite 7 is available from the onOne Software website with prices starting at $79.95.