Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
Panasonic has announced the latest premium mirrorless camera, with built in tilting electronic viewfinder, new 16 megapixel Live MOS sensor, tilting 3inch touch screen, in-body image stabilisation, built in Wi-Fi and NFC. The Panasonic Lumix GX7 will be available in black or two tone silver and black from September with a body only price of £819, £899 with 14-42mm kit lens, and £999 with 20mm f/1.7 II pancake lens.
Read our Panasonic Lumix GX7 Hands-On Review.
From Panasonic: Panasonic’s New LUMIX GX7 Gives Photo Enthusiasts Today’s Latest Technology in a Classically Designed Body
1st August 2013– Panasonic has today launched the LUMIX DMC-GX7, a highly-stylish new model in its range of premium quality LUMIX G Digital Single Lens Mirrorless (DSLM) cameras. The LUMIX DMC-GX7 is the ideal new addition to the photography enthusiast’s arsenal, providing advanced image quality in low-light; manual and creative controls to allow you to express your individuality across your images and movies; and the world’s first built-in 90-degree tilt-able Live View Finder (LVF) on a DSLM body, that allows the user to achieve the perfect shot from any angle.
The LUMIX DMC-GX7 is high-end in terms of both style and quality. Alongside the retro design, the camera boasts optimum image quality through achieving the perfect balance of the newly developed 16 megapixel (MP) Digital Live MOS Sensor and the Venus Engine image processor, enabling you to achieve stunning results, even when shooting in low-light. Meanwhile the LUMIX DMC-GX7’s Contrast Auto Focus (AF) system, including Light Speed AF, will give you the speed and precision you need for every kind of shooting situation.
With a raft of manual and creative controls, the LUMIX DMC-GX7 is a dream for the creatively-minded enthusiast, allowing you to use your photos and movies to turn daily scenes into unique reflections of your world. Meanwhile the tilt-able LVF – alongside the 1040K-dot high resolution touch-screen monitor – provides you with flexibility in composing your images, allowing you to set up the shot to achieve the best results. More about the Panasonic Lumix GX7 below:
Premium image quality:Designed to achieve the optimum image quality, the advances of the LUMIX DMC-GX7’s sensor allows you to achieve exceptional results, even in low light situations:
- Low noise sensor: The LUMIX DMC-GX7 incorporates a newly developed 16 megapixel (MP) Digital Live MOS Sensor, providing high resolution images with minimum noise. In particular, the camera has significant low-light shooting capabilities compared to its predecessor the LUMIX DMC-GX1.
- Increased sensitivity and dynamic range: The LUMIX DMC-GX7’s sensor achieves a higher saturation of light than other LUMIX models due to its optimized pixel architecture with reduced circuitry and expanded light receiving area, producing better sensitivity and dynamic range. In addition to this, the micro-lenses are optimized enabling the sensor to take in more light.
- High performance processing: The LUMIX DMC-GX7’s low-light shooting capacity is further boosted by the Venus Engine image processor’s advanced noise reduction systems. This added functionality makes it possible to remove large blocks of noise which were formerly hard to detect, helping you to produce clear, smooth images.
- Cinematic video quality: Panasonic’s LUMIX G system is renowned for pushing the boundaries of video quality offered by interchangeable lens cameras, and this continues with the LUMIX DMC-GX7. Boasting Full HD 1920 x 1080 50p smooth, high quality video recording in AVCHD Progressive and MP4 with stereo sound, the LUMIX DMC-GX7’s sensor advances means you can achieve stunningly clear and sharp videos. High quality sound can also be recorded via Dolby® Digital, while the Wind Cut function can also block out most of the noise picked up from background wind.
Stunning precision:With the LUMIX DMC-GX7’s Contrast Auto Focus (AF) system, the speed and accuracy of your photography will be dramatically increased:
- High-speed precision AF: The Light Speed AF, at around 0.06s, means you can capture fast-moving subjects clearly and precisely.
- Full-area Touch AF and Touch AE: The LUMIX DMC-GX7 takes intuitive photography to the next level, allowing you set the focus and exposure-setting directly on the subject in the monitor with just one touch, even while using the LVF.
- AF Tracking: The AF functionally of the LUMIX DMC-GX7 is not just restricted to still images - Touch AF in video recording allows you to set the focus with one touch, while with AF Tracking you can ensure the focus stays on a subject or face, even if they move around.
- Pin-point AF and enlargement: The flexibility of the pin-point AF is further improved by allowing you to set magnification from 3x to 10x enlargement in 0.1x gradients, while One-shot AF means you can utilise AF even in Manual Focus (MF) mode to set a rough focus on the subject and then go back to MF for fine adjustments.
- Focus Peaking: For more practical control over focusing, the DMC-GX7 incorporates a Focus Peaking function that shows the peak of focus in MF and AF+MF mode. The detection level can be set to 'High' or ‘Low’ and then a colour can be selected to stand out from the shooting environment. In ‘High’ these are light blue, yellow or green and in 'Low' blue, orange or white can be selected.
- Low Light AF: With the enhanced Low Light AF users are able to focus on subjects even in very low light situations such as under starlight with industry leading -4EV .
- Integrated Optical Image Stabilization: The LUMIX DMC-GX7 is the first LUMIX to integrate in-body image stabilization (O.I.S). This works in addition to the traditional LUMIX lens O.I.S. system which is automatically detected by the camera and is applied or not as required. To tailor the camera’s in-body O.I.S to non-stabilized lenses the photographer can enter its focal length from 8mm to 1000mm. This function is ideal for lovers of non-stabilized legacy lenses but can also be used with any non-stabilized lens.
Complete shooting flexibility:The LUMIX DMC-GX7 has been designed to give you total shooting flexibility so you can capture the perfect image, whatever the situation:
- Tilt-able Live View Finder: The newly built-in 90-degree tilt-able Live View Finder (LVF) boasts the highest resolution available with over 2.7m dots and achieves a high color reproduction of approximately 100% using AdobeRGB as a reference . This LVF, alongside the 3.0-inch touch-control rear monitor, which also tilts up and down, means you have the freedom to compose your image regardless of difficulties posed by the environment as you can still see what you’ll be capturing on the camera whether you’re taking shots from the ground, waist height or above your head.. Meanwhile, the Eye Sensor AF feature starts auto focusing when you begin looking into the LVF, meaning you’ll never miss the perfect shot.
- Touch control monitor: The touch-control system of the new large 1040K-dot (approx.) high resolution monitor immediately allows you to focus on the subject with extremely high precision with just one touch, release the camera shutter or do both at the same time. In addition, light reflection from the monitor is dramatically reduced thanks to the new In Cell Touch LCD which eliminates additional reflection causing layers.
- Silent Shooting: Featuring a completely silent shutter mode which completely eliminates AF-sound, camera sounds and shutter sounds, you can capture that perfect ‘street photography’ shot without disturbing the subject.
The speed to capture the unexpected:As the perfect shot doesn’t always wait for you, the LUMIX DMC-GX7 has been designed and built so that speed of capture is paramount:
- Speed and stability: With a 1/8000 sec shutter speed alongside Light Speed AF, the LUMIX DMC-GX7 will never hold you back. In addition to the ability to freeze time with the high shutter speed, it opens up even more creative opportunities for the photographer by maintaining the possibility to shoot with a shallow depth of field even in bright sunlight.
- Burst shooting: With high-speed burst shooting at five frames per Second (fps) in 16 MP full resolution - and 40 fps using the electronic shutter - you will always be able to pick out the best shot from a fast-moving scene.
- Responsiveness: The LUMIX DMC-GX7 will be ready when you need it, taking only approx. 0.5 sec to load after pressing the start button. Compatibility with the UHS-I (Ultra High Speed I) SDXC/SDHC Memory Card also allows faster data writing, even in Raw recording mode.
The creative’s choice:The LUMIX DMC-GX7’s elegance is evocative of a camera from the classical age, while the creative and manual controls allow you to ensure your personality comes through the images and videos you create:
- Classic design: Dressed in a magnesium alloy frame – and available in black or silver - the DMC-GX7 has a premium build which offers robust durability in an elegant magnesium alloy full diecast frame, tailored to fit the photographer’s hand.
- Traditional techniques digitized: Three new filters have been included on the LUMIX DMC-GX7 which mimic classic darkroom techniques to change the contrast of monochrome images. The Monochrome filter can be applied to create a black and white picture, Rough Monochrome can be applied to gain a high contrast effect and Silky Monochrome for a low contrast effect. Each effect can be adjusted in strength using the touchscreen or dial. Colour filters have also been integrated and can be used to simulate the traditional way of emphasizing a certain colour in a black-and-white image. Furthermore, the LUMIX DMC-GX7 is the first LUMIX camera to include a graduation curve which can be used to individually tune the contrast behavior of the camera. Highlights and shadows are adjusted via the touchscreen or front and rear dials allowing you to create your own unique look which can be stored on one of three custom settings or one of the three presets can be selected.
- Intuitive manual controls: Dials on the front and back of the camera’s body make manual shooting extremely intuitive. In addition, to the four physical Fn (function) buttons, an Fn tab is integrated into the menu, meaning a total of nine functions can be assigned to customize the camera to your individual preferences and settings.
- Creative modes: The DMC-GX7 incorporates Creative Panorama, Time Lapse Shot, Stop Motion Animation and Clear Retouch - in addition to the Creative Control mode – to provide a total of 22 filter effects featuring the new Rough Monochrome, Silky Monochrome and Monochrome above. The Stop Motion Animation allows you to produce unique stop motion videos, while the Clear Retouch function enables you to edit your images straight shooting. With the new Creative Panorama function, it is possible to shoot a horizontal or vertical panoramic image by overlaying the previous picture, while the Photo Style function allows you to change the texture of a photo - including a Monochrome Filter for more expressive monochrome photography.
- Connectivity: Instantly sharing photos with your DSLM has never been easier, thanks to the LUMIX DMC-GX7’s Wi-Fi® connectivity with NFC (Near Field Communication) technology. You can connect the camera to your smartphone or tablet with just one touch, allowing you to upload and share easily. In addition, you can use your smartphone or tablet as a remote control for added shooting flexibility.
- 16 megapixel LIVE MOS sensor
- Venus Image Engine
- ISO setting Auto / Intelligent ISO 125(Extended) / 200 / 400 / 800 / 1600 / 3200 / 6400 / 12800 / 25600
- AF mode: Face detection / AF Tracking / 23-area-focusing / 1-area-focusing / Pinpoint / Touch AF
- Movie recording: Full HD 1920 x 1080 50p smooth, high quality video recording in AVCHD Progressive and MP4 with stereo sound
- 3.0inch (7.5cm) 3:2 Aspect Touch-screen with wide-viewing angle and approx. 1040K dots
- LVF: Approx.1.39x / 0.7x (35mm camera equiv.) magnification, high color reproduction of approximately 100% using AdobeRGB , 100% field of view and eyepoint of approximately 17.5 mm
- Size: 122.60 x 70.7 x 43.3 mm (excluding protrusions)
- Weight: Approx. 402g (body, battery and SD card)
- Interface: USB 2.0 High Speed Multi, miniHDMI, TypeC / VIERA Link, internal stereo microphone, monaural speaker
Panasonic Lumix GX7 Specifications
|CCD pixels||16Mp (Megapixels)|
|Sensor Type||Live MOS Sensor|
|Sensor Size||Micro / Four Thirds|
|Sensor Size (width)||17.3mm|
|Sensor Size (height)||13mm|
|Screen resolution||1040k dots|
|Shutter speeds shortest||1/8000sec|
|Shutter speeds longest||60sec|
|ISO sensitivity||125 - 25600|
|Viewfinder Resolution||2764k dots|
|Optical Zoom with Video||Yes|
|Battery Type||Lithium-Ion Battery|
|Box Contents||Digital camera, Body cap, Lens, Lens hood, Lens Cap, Lens rear cap, Battery pack, Battery charger, USB connection cable, CD-ROM, Shoulder strap, Hot shoe cover, operating instructions.|