Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
This is a medium telephoto lens ideal for portraiture. Thanks to the incorporation of Pentax-original HD Coating — a newly developed, high-grade multi-layer lens coating — and the Pentax-designed, lens-installed SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism, this medium-telephoto lens is ideal for portrait photography as it assures bright smooth image definition.
HD DFA645 MACRO 90mm F2.8 ED AW SR
1. Smooth image definition ideal for portraiture When mounted on a PENTAX 645D medium-format camera body, this medium-telephoto lens offers a focal length of approximately 71mm (or approximately 65mm when mounted on a PENTAX 645 film-format camera body) in the 35mm format. By incorporating two ED (extra-low dispersion) elements and one glass-moulded aspherical element in its optics, the lens assures high-resolution image reproduction over the entire image field, while effectively minimising chromatic aberration, a problem commonly associated with fast lenses.
At larger apertures, this lens defines the subject with fine, delicate lines and soft, smooth edges. Coupled with a beautiful bokeh (out-of-focus rendition) effect created by a very shallow depth of field, it is an ideal lens for portrait photography.
At smaller apertures, it produces sharp, solid images making it useful for applications other than portraiture, such as scenic and still-life photography. It also offers macro photography at a maximum magnification of 0.5-times. In close-up applications, its floating mechanism effectively compensates for the curvature of the field to assure sharp, well-defined images.
2. New HD Coating and Aero Bright Coating This lens is treated with a newly developed, high-grade multi-layer lens coating called HD Coating*. Compared with conventional multi-layer coatings, the HD Coating offers increased light transmittance with reduced reflection, to deliver sharp, clear images free from flare and ghost images, even under demanding lighting conditions. By coupling this coating with the PENTAX-exclusive, high-grade Aero Bright Coating, this lens optimises light transmittance while minimising refraction.
3. PENTAX-original, lens-integrated SR mechanism This is the first lens to incorporate the PENTAX-innovated SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism within the lens barrel. Because this mechanism effectively compensates for camera shake, up to approximately 3.5 shutter steps, the user is assured of sharp, blur-free images even under conditions prone to camera shake, such as when handholding the camera in poorly lit locations without flash illumination, or when photographing sunset scenes.
4. Dustproof, weather-resistant construction A new addition to the AW (All Weather) series, this lens features a dependable dustproof and weather-resistant construction with 11 special seals to effectively prevent dust and water entering the lens interior. By mounting this lens on a PENTAX 645D camera body, the user is assured of a durable, reliable imaging system that performs superbly in demanding outdoor settings — even in rain or mist, or at locations prone to water splashes or spray.
5. New exterior design signifying HD series While inheriting traditional design features of PENTAX’s medium-format lenses, such as a twill-patterned focus ring and metal rings, this lens features a red almite ring at the front end of the focus ring to signify the new HD PENTAX lens series and enhance its exclusive appearance.
- Quick-Shift Focus system for instant switching to manual-focus operation after the subject is captured in focus by the camera’s AFsystem
- SP (Super Protect) coating applied to the front surface of the lens to effectively repel water and grease and easily remove dust and stains
- Rounded diaphragm to produce a smooth, beautiful bokeh (out-of-focus rendition), while minimising the streaking effect of light sources (coma)
For more information, visit the Pentax website.
Pentax HD DFA645 MACRO 90mm F2.8 ED AW SR Specifications
|Angle of View||34°|
|Internal focusing||No Data|
|Box Contents||Case, Hood, Lens cap, Mount cap|